Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Porsche 928

Old 11-02-2009, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow - somebody knows how to use photoshop and picked an XK as their choice in platform.

I like this concept better.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:12 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan,Nov 2 2009, 07:04 PM
In other words, I think that if Porsche built what you're asking for, wouldn't they basically end up with a Miata clone?
Similar in weight (preferably a bit lighter) yes. But I haven't specified front-engine roadster, so I don't see myself as asking for a "Porsche Miata".

If they *were* to do a new sub-2500 lb. car, I'd prefer a coupe. Front- mid-or rear-engined, rwd (of course).

Which isn't to say that it'd be a bad thing - it could very well prove to be a profitable car for VAG, then again maybe it'd tarnish the brand in purists' eyes,
The brand has already tarnished itself in the eyes of TRUE Porsche purists. A 5000-lb. SUV and 4000 lb. luxobarge are pretty much the antithesis of what *used* to be Porsche ideals. Porsche used to build cars that were fast not from huge power, but from being well-engineered and lightweight. They have strayed quite far from their minimalist/lightweight roots.

dunno - I just think that what you're looking for can already be found elsewhere.
So just where *are* all the minimalist/lightweight, decent-power/weight sports cars? Only the Lotus twins come to mind. Miata's alright, but a bit down on power. And the S2000, but it's a bit overweight! Anyway, I'd prefer a coupe. So, yeah, please tell me, if what I want can be found already, point me in that direction! In the context of this thread regarding a vaguely possible new FR Porsche coupe, I'll say again: I'd prefer it if they made one closer to Elise/Exige weight than to Corvette weight! Nobody's building anything like that at the moment.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:17 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

You keep going on about how you need this particular car. There's already the Lotus Exige. Why don't you buy it? It's exactly what you're asking for, based on your weight and power requirements, as well as configuration (coupe).
Old 11-03-2009, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZDan,Nov 3 2009, 06:12 AM
Similar in weight (preferably a bit lighter) yes. But I haven't specified front-engine roadster, so I don't see myself as asking for a "Porsche Miata".

If they *were* to do a new sub-2500 lb. car, I'd prefer a coupe. Front- mid-or rear-engined, rwd (of course).

The brand has already tarnished itself in the eyes of TRUE Porsche purists. A 5000-lb. SUV and 4000 lb. luxobarge are pretty much the antithesis of what *used* to be Porsche ideals. Porsche used to build cars that were fast not from huge power, but from being well-engineered and lightweight. They have strayed quite far from their minimalist/lightweight roots.

So just where *are* all the minimalist/lightweight, decent-power/weight sports cars? Only the Lotus twins come to mind. Miata's alright, but a bit down on power. And the S2000, but it's a bit overweight! Anyway, I'd prefer a coupe. So, yeah, please tell me, if what I want can be found already, point me in that direction! In the context of this thread regarding a vaguely possible new FR Porsche coupe, I'll say again: I'd prefer it if they made one closer to Elise/Exige weight than to Corvette weight! Nobody's building anything like that at the moment.

Aside from the failed takeover attempt of VW, Porsche has done VERY well in recent years, which is attributable to the great customer acceptance of their products.

Have you driven a Cayman S? It doesn't feel heavy at all. Greater emissions and safety regs make it difficult and expensive to match the weight of a 40 year old Z car.

Like JonBoy said, if you're that obsessed w/ light weight at all costs, just go buy a Lotus. If that's too impractical, get a Miata (I know, you'll find fault or something not to like w/ each of those choices). No mfg. will take you seriously when you're driving such an old car.

I love Porsches, and think it's great that you can get much of the feel of one in a family/daily-oriented vehicle. The Cayenne's success has helped to fund a lot of great R&D which has benefitted its sports cars, and IMO that's nothing but a good thing.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by rnye,Nov 2 2009, 10:32 PM
Wow - somebody knows how to use photoshop and picked an XK as their choice in platform.

I like this concept better.
that looks great!

The 928 was one of my childhood dream car (I didn't know how much they cost at the time )

I would love to buy the orig even now.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:55 AM

So baddddd........ want to make love to it.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If porsche made a miata clone, I'd probably pick it up. I think I would enjoy a miata, but given their stereotypes, i prefer to stick to 'cooler' cars like the S. heh
If porsche whipped out a miata clone, I'd pick one up. Given the price wasnt outrageous
Old 11-03-2009, 08:40 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Porsche and "outrageous price" are mutually inclusive with their sports cars. You'll always pay a lot more for their cars.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Nov 3 2009, 06:17 AM
You keep going on about how you need this particular car. There's already the Lotus Exige. Why don't you buy it? It's exactly what you're asking for, based on your weight and power requirements, as well as configuration (coupe).
I might...

Still, I'd like to see Porsche focus its efforts more in the smaller/simpler/lighter/cheaper direction rather than bigger/heavier/more-powerful/more-luxurious direction.

More minimal/lightweight sports car options = more better...
Old 11-03-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Nov 3 2009, 06:40 AM
Aside from the failed takeover attempt of VW,
Yeah, they tried to bite off a bit more than they could chew with that deal! Interestingly, VW seems FAR more interested in returning Porsche to smaller/lighterweight sports cars (perhaps a gasoline-engined BlueSport variant?) and retreating from the oversized/overweight SUV and luxobarge. Which is *fine* with me!

Porsche has done VERY well in recent years, which is attributable to the great customer acceptance of their products.
OK. I'm just saying that *I* wish that they'd spend their efforts more on something like a modern version of a 356 instead of massive SUVs and sedans. I don't think that would hurt their business at all, but even if it *did*, that's still what *I* would prefer them to do.

[QUOTE]Have you driven a Cayman S?