Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Porsche 718 Boxster & Boxster S Switch to Turbo 4s

Old 03-03-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Porsche has already stated they will maintain the normally aspirated six-cylinder engines for the GT cars, so you're in the clear there.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I've heard of the 718 Boxster S, it really sounds pretty good, especially for a turbo flat 4. It has some pops and crackles and I know that torque will feel nice.

It is lower sounding than the six but yeah, some pops and burbles still produced. Not as good, but not bad either.

I was on the configurator, and I could be wrong, but I did not see any performance exhaust on the Boxster S, so the price went up, but you may not have to pay $2800 for the burbles and pops anymore, they are uh....."free" by building the cost of the sports exhaust into the base price it seems.

On a side note, my wife works for an electric utility and they have a cross promotion with Porsche and have just had a 918 arrive at her headquarters. For some reason her utility is displaying the car at our upcoming auto show. I reallllllllllllllllly wanna go to her work and see if I can just sit in it. The car arrived today with a couple of Porsche "handlers".
Old 03-03-2016, 11:50 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

You have to wonder what the audio source is as well for the videos of the 718 Boxster that you've heard. Because some of the exhaust noise is artificial and is played over a speaker(s).

I'm not one to dispute that a high performance 4 cylinder can sound good. But when you pay $70k+ most people want to hear something better.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:52 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Scathing review of the Boxster by EVO.

What’s it like to drive?

Disappointing. Underwhelming. Soul destroying. All words and phrases I never thought I’d write about a Porsche sports car, but the 2-litre Boxster is a poor Porsche and the disappointment focuses on the moment the engine starts.

If you, or a friend, ever owned an air-cooled VW Beetle you’ll immediately recognise the unsophisticated clatter when you hear a 2-litre Boxster for the first time. Unfortunately it’s no better from inside, where the tone switches from that of a Beetle run on a student’s budget to an Impreza turbo with a blown exhaust.

Normally, in these situations things improve when the engine’s under load, but even Porsche hasn’t managed to pull off the impossible here. On the move the engine sounds broken, like it’s dropped a valve or two.

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/boxster...-t-always-turn
Old 06-02-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Scathing review of the Boxster by EVO.

What’s it like to drive?

Disappointing. Underwhelming. Soul destroying. All words and phrases I never thought I’d write about a Porsche sports car, but the 2-litre Boxster is a poor Porsche and the disappointment focuses on the moment the engine starts.

If you, or a friend, ever owned an air-cooled VW Beetle you’ll immediately recognise the unsophisticated clatter when you hear a 2-litre Boxster for the first time. Unfortunately it’s no better from inside, where the tone switches from that of a Beetle run on a student’s budget to an Impreza turbo with a blown exhaust.

Normally, in these situations things improve when the engine’s under load, but even Porsche hasn’t managed to pull off the impossible here. On the move the engine sounds broken, like it’s dropped a valve or two.

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/boxster...-t-always-turn
Wow, Evo didn't hold back. I had a 2016 Cayman to drive for 12 days and was very impressed. It had great throttle response and sounded fantastic! I thought it would be a very tough act to follow.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:25 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Interesting, mainly because the other reviews I've read seem very complimentary.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:34 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Sounds a bit melodramatic from the reviewer but hey, that is how you get attention.

I have no doubt the flat six sounds better, even WAYYYY better, but that trashes the whole car even though performance is improved? Seems a bit dubious.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a sad time for me who is beginning to shop for Cayman S's. Do I scramble to buy a 6 cylinder 2016 as they quickly sell away or settle for a new, 2017 turbo 4?
Old 06-24-2016, 07:47 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple Haze
It's a sad time for me who is beginning to shop for Cayman S's. Do I scramble to buy a 6 cylinder 2016 as they quickly sell away or settle for a new, 2017 turbo 4?
If looking for "an investment", I'd get the 6 cylinder. Looking for the most performance go for the turbo.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by Purple Haze' timestamp='1466780217' post='24001390
If looking for "an investment", I'd get the 6 cylinder. Looking for the most performance go for the turbo.
Thank you for the reply, I know the turbo has more hp and torque, but it is an unknown engine, unproven, untried. That flat 6 is iconic, all the bugs are removed, it is beloved, proven, tried. A much simpler engine.

It's difficult to be the first to try a new engine. What if there are problems?

Quick Reply: Porsche 718 Boxster & Boxster S Switch to Turbo 4s