Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Porsche 718 Boxster & Boxster S Switch to Turbo 4s

Old 01-29-2016, 05:56 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1454014251' post='23865323
....in Mexico, of course. You must have a lot of miles on that thing, with all the trial runs in Mexico.
About 19k on the Vette and 4.5k on the Cayman. If you visit DFW again, let me know and you can take them for a spin. We can talk about your unhealthy fixation on the NSX and Honda in general as well.
I might make a trip just to drive them. You might even get a tip on the next Honda you'll probably buy.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:09 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh wow, I didn't realize this until I just now went to Porsche's website, but now the official name for Porsche's entry-level MR vehicle is the "718" just like their upper-range RR vehicle is the "911." It's not just an internal version designation. So now we have:
"911 Carrera"
"718 Boxster"
And presumably at some point in the near future a "718 Cayman" as well.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Come on down! If you're one of the few non-psychos on s2ki, I'll meet up with you. haha. Jon, Jeff, etc. are all good. Some of you other people...not so much.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Come on down! If you're one of the few non-psychos on s2ki, I'll meet up with you. haha. Jon, Jeff, etc. are all good. Some of you other people...not so much.
Trying to figure out what camp I fall in, I probably don't wanna know...
Old 02-01-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

You're good.

So, I spec's out a 718 Boxster S the way I'd want it within reason and it was about $85k. Not cheap, but I bet it'll be a fun rocket to sling around. I'm not getting one, but it was still fun to play with the configurator.

The weather here in DFW this past weekend was 75F and sunny. It was flat gorgeous. So, I traded cars for a few hours with my neighbor. He has a '13 Boxster S PDK nicely loaded. He also has a Borla exhaust. HOLY CRAP. Man, that thing sounded incredible at WOT. The upshifts and downshifts sound like lighting bolts too at certain rpms too. I fell in love with the PDK and that exhaust. It just sounded insane. Yeah, it's 315hp, but it sounded like 900hp. I don't know how they do it, but it was intoxicating.

I love my GT4 for sure and love rowing gears, but that PDK is something special...and that exhaust. I don't want to mess with the standard sport exhaust of the GT4 and it sounds great in it's own right, but it's not crazy like that Borla. Whew, it was fun, especially with the top down and the sun setting on a 75F day. Special time for sure.

That will invariably be one of the downsides of the 718. It just won't ever sound like a tightly wound NA flat six.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I am one who does not like the flat four idea, but I know why they have to do it. But it seems like on the configurator there has been a decent hop in the base price. $56k for the BASE Boxster is getting pretty steep, even if the turbo were mod friendly, which Porsche seriously frowns upon.

Still, since base Boxsters depreciate much faster on the used market, and now have 300hp, they might be a decent bargain a few years from now even if they are not super fast.

I'd love to ED a new Cayman, does not look like it will happen anytime soon. Too many house needs. Was headed to Hawaii two weeks ago, ten below outside and I wake up at 3am with the temp 56 degrees in my house and the air conditioner running. Computer thermostat went haywire. The cost for an emergency visit at 4am a few hours before my flight? $1,800. To figure out it was the thermostat. He says, "You really should get a new furnace and air conditioner, these are 20 years old." The wife agrees.

She never agrees that a Porsche is a priority.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're good.

So, I spec's out a 718 Boxster S the way I'd want it within reason and it was about $85k. Not cheap, but I bet it'll be a fun rocket to sling around. I'm not getting one, but it was still fun to play with the configurator.

The weather here in DFW this past weekend was 75F and sunny. It was flat gorgeous. So, I traded cars for a few hours with my neighbor. He has a '13 Boxster S PDK nicely loaded. He also has a Borla exhaust. HOLY CRAP. Man, that thing sounded incredible at WOT. The upshifts and downshifts sound like lighting bolts too at certain rpms too. I fell in love with the PDK and that exhaust. It just sounded insane. Yeah, it's 315hp, but it sounded like 900hp. I don't know how they do it, but it was intoxicating.

I love my GT4 for sure and love rowing gears, but that PDK is something special...and that exhaust. I don't want to mess with the standard sport exhaust of the GT4 and it sounds great in it's own right, but it's not crazy like that Borla. Whew, it was fun, especially with the top down and the sun setting on a 75F day. Special time for sure.

That will invariably be one of the downsides of the 718. It just won't ever sound like a tightly wound NA flat six.
Borla DOES sound amazing on the flat 6. Stock, the 911/Boxster/Caymans have an artificial, tinny sound to them. It reminds me of a vacuum cleaner.. albeit an "efficient sounding" one. I was at a Lamborghini track day (weird right?) at COTA last year and there were various other makes there too. I was in the pits watching and listening to them all go by... The Aventador (particularly with aftermarket exhaust) was obviously the mac daddy.. nothing can touch that sound. Next up were the Huracans, Gallardos and V8 Ferraris, followed by a couple V12 Astons.. with the 911 (a couple GT3s) falling dead last. So bad by comparison.

I'd like a 997 in the future.. but exhaust is CRITICAL!

Old 02-02-2016, 05:39 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I am one who does not like the flat four idea, but I know why they have to do it. But it seems like on the configurator there has been a decent hop in the base price. $56k for the BASE Boxster is getting pretty steep, even if the turbo were mod friendly, which Porsche seriously frowns upon.

Still, since base Boxsters depreciate much faster on the used market, and now have 300hp, they might be a decent bargain a few years from now even if they are not super fast.
Don't be suckered into thinking Porsche was "forced" to do this for emissions. The Boxster/Cayman is their smallest volume model; thus this move has minimal impact on their corporate fleet emissions. And the China market excuse isn't valid either - nobody in China buys Boxsters or Caymans.

I'm curious to see if future Boxsters will depreciate faster than Caymans, given that starting with 2017 Boxsters are going to command a premium price over Caymans (MSRP).
Old 02-02-2016, 06:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is everyone getting up in arms about flat-4s in Porsches? 924 and 944 were all inline-4s and they were popular back in the day. Even now you see some of them during track events. More torque, better MPG, 50 hp from a chip tune. I say why not?

As a side note, this may open the door of the 981.2 GT4 getting the turbo 6 from 991.2 Cs... Again, why not?
Old 02-02-2016, 06:43 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

The 3.0T won't fit, according to Porsche.

Quick Reply: Porsche 718 Boxster & Boxster S Switch to Turbo 4s