Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Porsche 718 Boxster & Boxster S Switch to Turbo 4s

Old 01-27-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Maybe I was wrong with the units - might have been 100 lbs

it's not really hard to argue with the specs and performance of the engine. Porsche did this for one, maybe two reasons only. 1) Fuel efficiency. And (possibly) 2) More differentiation from the 911. Nothing was done specifically to improve the breed.
Yeah, the extra horsepower is just a consolation. I don't see it as improving the breed either since Boxster/Cayman has never been about horsepower.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:08 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Yeah, the extra horsepower is just a consolation. I don't see it as improving the breed either since Boxster/Cayman has never been about horsepower.
But they're oh-so-much-fun with extra horsepower. Trust me...
Old 01-27-2016, 09:25 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Unfortunately, HP and paper stats are what sells cars. It's a lot of upfront work to get that potential driver into the showroom. Sure, the HP may not be needed once in the driver's seat, but if the numbers are there - the customers won't show up to test drive it.

Kinds of sucks, but that is the reality in the auto world. People will dismiss a car just based on what a piece of paper says without ever actually driving it and seeing for themselves.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1453916987' post='23864062
Unfortunately, HP and paper stats are what sells cars. It's a lot of upfront work to get that potential driver into the showroom. Sure, the HP may not be needed once in the driver's seat, but if the numbers are there - the customers won't show up to test drive it.

Kinds of sucks, but that is the reality in the auto world. People will dismiss a car just based on what a piece of paper says without ever actually driving it and seeing for themselves.
Well...a type of paper is what is separating me from the Porsche Driving Experience and a lot of other people too!
Old 01-27-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1453916987' post='23864062

I'd argue that's not the case with Porsches, specifically the mid-engine offerings. If people just wanted speed and power there are better options available from multiple sources.

Someone over on Planet-9 just pointed out that Porsche shrunk the fuel tank from 16.9 gallons down to 14.5. Shady way to minimize a curb weight increase IMO.

Anyone else notice the massive change to the front hood? The hood doesn't drop away from the fenders on each side like a normal Porsche (any Porsche without a front engine). The hood is significantly higher, and the whole front looks pretty similar to a Panamera. Not a good thing IMO.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:59 AM

I'd argue that's not the case with Porsches, specifically the mid-engine offerings. If people just wanted speed and power there are better options available from multiple sources.

Someone over on Planet-9 just pointed out that Porsche shrunk the fuel tank from 16.9 gallons down to 14.5. Shady way to minimize a curb weight increase IMO.
More fuel efficient engine, smaller gas tank... It does stink but, I guess you could say that was a weight savings due to switching to FI (which has a decent weight penalty).
Old 01-27-2016, 11:00 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Porsche claims 13% more efficient engine. Fuel tank is 14.5% smaller. Do the math, lol. Also you know most people aren't going to get EPA ratings...we all know what happens to turbo motors when the turbo is actually used
Old 01-27-2016, 11:10 AM

Porsche claims 13% more efficient engine. Fuel tank is 14.5% smaller. Do the math, lol. Also you know most people aren't going to get EPA ratings...we all know what happens to turbo motors when the turbo is actually used
Well I am just sitting pretty with my 18.5 gallon tank. But seriously, I can see the smaller tank size being an issue for track days. I got close to running mine out after a long day of lapping at about 10mpg. You know how V8s get when you get on em.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:21 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Looking forward to seeing what she can really do. Glad i went with the GT4.

Not going to hold my breath for a GT version of the 718.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:22 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Well I am just sitting pretty with my 18.5 gallon tank. But seriously, I can see the smaller tank size being an issue for track days. I got close to running mine out after a long day of lapping at about 10mpg. You know how V8s get when you get on em.
10mpg? That's not too bad...I think I got 6.5mpg at my last track day. I have to run and fill up in the afternoon.

Quick Reply: Porsche 718 Boxster & Boxster S Switch to Turbo 4s