Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Pontiac Solstice. I give it the thumbs up. Production Pics inside.

Old 01-05-2004, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pontiac Solstice. I give it the thumbs up. Production Pics inside.

Take a look at this link for some production shots of the car and a closeup of the interior.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/040104-1.htm

It looks pretty good to me. The overall esthetic of the car is pretty refreshing. Nice design. The mechanical specs are good as long as the car weighs less than 2600lbs. The interior is actually very nice IMO. Kinda Miata-ish but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The clamshell hood is cool. Overall if they keep the weight farily low and also keep the price in the miata ballpark or lower I think they might have a winner on their hands. I must congratulate Pontiac on this car as this is finally a car that is a step forward, it's RWD and it's all about driving pleasure. (a la miata) Very well done Pontiac.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:08 AM

Looks like a Miata and a Z8 had sex and then shitted this thing out.. ugly.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by turtleboy
Looks like a Miata and a Z8 had sex and then shitted this thing out.. ugly.
Really it looks like Chris Bangle left BMW and went to work for GM
Old 01-05-2004, 05:47 AM
Ash

I still like the whole idea of a tonneau cover... however I think the back looks like they chopped it off like a vert beetle. Still looks like the front is a Norelco-derivative.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:53 AM

It is definitely not ugly. I would buy it for my wife.

YET, I would rather GM to import Opel Speedster directly without any attempt to Pontiacinized it.

IMO, Speedster is superior to Elise.

Old 01-05-2004, 09:04 AM

Ok, its less ugly than other pontiacs but damn look at that grill? OMG That is hideous. And of all the different type of headlights to rip off the 350Z/Celica lights are the ugliest.

Interior is actually nicer than any pontiac I have seen. The back of the car looks nice, but again the G35/350Z tail lights dont work.

I think when GM gets together they look at the popular japanese cars and take pieces off each one. While it looks nice on the original when you put them all together it doesn't look right. Its like putting a jig saw together with pieces from a different puzzle, you can make them fit but they wont look right.

Im suprised this car isn't gonna have the 250 lbs of plastic moldings that is standard on most pontaic products.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:12 AM

I'm not a big fan of the front grill either but I'll give credit where credit is due. The interior really nice overall, especially compared to other recent pontiacs. The engine is a winner and the overall exterior is a success (IMO)
This looks like a car that will be fun to drive and handle well. I'm expecting a miata like feel as long as it's fairly light. Should also be pretty peppy but again as long as the weight stays reasonable.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the car looks great. I am sure it will drive like a dream as well. Looks are in the eye of the beholder. THe grill could use some work, but cmon, who leaves a car stock nowadays. Good job Pontiac!

P.S. LOVE the rear.....and dont compare this "beauty" to any new BMW which truly look like they were "shitted" out.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give praise where praise is due. IMO it looks nothing like a Bangle BMW-- this design is the opposite, clean and simple. The grill's just there to brand the car as a Pontiac, since it looks nothing like any of their other ugly cars. Swap the grill and it will be a looker.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the driving dynamics though. Sounds like they're going pretty cheap on it, and sharing a lot of components.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:50 PM

I agree about the grill. Swap it out and the car would looked pretty nice. It's possible that they could screw up the driving dynamics on this car but I don't think they will since they are using the same chassis for the new Opel and Vauxhall. Only thing I don't like is the fact that the original concept had a supercharged 4cyl and made 240hp instead of NA 2.4L and 170hp.

Quick Reply: Pontiac Solstice. I give it the thumbs up. Production Pics inside.