Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: What finish looks best for Forgestar F14 wheels on my TT RS?
FINISH #1: Brushed Aluminum with Gloss Black Inlets & Barrel
24.14%
FINISH #2: Titanium
75.86%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Forgestar Wheels F14 on my TT RS

Old 12-31-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default POLL: Forgestar Wheels F14 on my TT RS

THE BACKGROUND:
With LM-60 Blizzaks on my stockers, for the past month or so, I've been trying to find a set of wheels for my summer tires, which has not been easy (at all). For instance, the TT RS stock wheel size is 19x9 with an offset of ET+52, wrapped with a 255/35 tire. When I installed 10 mm H&R spacers on the rear, I got rubbing! (So, 19x9 ET42 and below would be out, I was surprised). Given this, I challenge you to find a decent set of aftermarket wheels.

Like many others on this site, I first looked at VMR and there were a couple of VMR wheels that I really liked (V710, V713). However, the VMR offered width and offset combos were not optimum for the TT.

VMR: (V710 and V713)
19x8.5 ET45 <--- too small,
19x9.5 ET45 <--- too large,
Weights: 25.5-27 lbs each (which is not bad for a casted wheel)

I also went to TireRack and found HRE and BBS wheels were offered for the TT RS, but again offsets and wheel widths were not optimum (19x9.5 ET45). I even contacted TireRack and pointed out my experience with tire rubbing with the 19x9 ET42 setup, which is essentially 3 mm better than the offered BBS and HRE wheels. Their response: you will want to get your fenders rolled to be sure you avoid rubbing. Ah, what? really? I'm just glad I explicitly asked or I would have bought over $2000 worth of BBS CH-R wheels (now casted and weigh 26lbs each) only to find out they rub.

Because of the aftermarket sizing challenges, I was just about committed to the idea that I would order the Audi OEM RS4 style (casted) wheel that appears on the TTS (19x9 ET52), even though it costs $400+ and weighs a whopping 31 lbs a piece!

THE DISCOVERY:
Then someone on Fortitude informed me of the Forgestar F14 wheels, which are very similar to the RS4 style wheel. So, I took a look at them.

Besides the hybrid forging process they use, what sold me on the Forgestar wheels is the custom order capability. You can get the desired color (or color combo), the precise ET offset with the correct width wheel. And the wheels are very light weight when compared to casted wheels, like VMR or even BBS!

Forgestar: (custom ordered F14)
19x9, ET45** <--- exact offset and width combo needed to avoid rubbing
Weight: 23 lbs each!
**Offered: 19x9.0 offsets from +20 to +55

THE CHOICES:
So here are the two finishes I'm considering:

FINISH #1 - Brushed Aluminum Face w/Gloss Black Inlets & Barrel
19x9 ET45 on TTS

FINISH #2 - Titanium

20" on S5

19" on M3

Of these two finishes, which would be best suited on my Phantom Black TT RS with the Titanium package?

So let's hear from you. (VOTE ABOVE)

Thanks!

REFERENCE LINKS
Forgestar Weights, Offsets and Sizes:
http://www.execstudio.com/products_wheels_forgestar.htm
Forgestar Manufacturing Process & Wheel Test Data:
http://www.modbargains.com/showpages.aspx?pid=1334

VMR V710 Weights, Offsets and Sizes:
http://www.1010tires.com/wheel.asp?w...-+Hyper+Silver

VMR V713 Weights, Offsets and Sizes:
http://www.1010tires.com/wheel.asp?w...D+Hyper+Silver
Old 12-31-2011, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Titanium. The brushed & black just make the wheels look filthy from brake dust.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Titanium, for sure!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Finish 1, on black those rims will pop, although the ti looks more stock in a good way.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:42 PM

Titanium. Almost bought a set of the F14s for my FD. Its crazy how inexpensive they are.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:10 PM

Titanium all day
Old 12-31-2011, 07:38 PM

It's unanimous!

Titanium all the way.

Thanks for the voting and feedback, everyone.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:28 AM

past tense of "cast" is "cast".

sweet car. titanium is definitely better; i prefer the 3-dimensionality of the finish. AL looks very "flat" on the surface
Old 01-05-2012, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by smurf2k
past tense of "cast" is "cast".

sweet car. titanium is definitely better; i prefer the 3-dimensionality of the finish. AL looks very "flat" on the surface
Good point (cast) and good catch.

Thanks for the input on the wheels, too.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

So get this...

After I place my wheel order on the phone, I get this "custom wheel order contract" document from ModBargains, as follows.

"I understand that this is a binding contract. ModBargains reserves all rights to refund the customer if the items are not able to be delivered. The customer agrees to all above checked conditions of deposits and refunds. Customer acknowledges that any estimated dates of delivery of products are an ESTIMATE, and that conditions may occur which delay the delivery of purchased parts. ModBargains is not liable for any such delays and these delays do NOT entitle the customer to a refund at ANY time."

I talked to the salesperson at ModBargains and asked to modify the language in the last sentence to state:

"except under extreme delay conditions, where delivery is greater than 10 weeks."

The promised delivery is 4-6 weeks.

The salesperson's boss said no way. I have to accept their terms or not buy the wheels. Let me get this straight, they charge my credit card, take my money and then maybe, maybe I get my wheels by March or by April or by May or...

That does not seem reasonable to me.

I emailed the salesman back and asked that his boss call me to discuss.

I do realize the likelihood is high that everything will go just fine, but in the case that it does not, I am left high and dry with these terms. The fact that they are completely unwilling to negotiate reasonable terms that give equal protection to the consumer, holding the retailer accountable to their terms of sale, has me reluctant to proceed.

I hope my call with this manager at ModBargains changes my impression.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: POLL: Forgestar Wheels F14 on my TT RS