Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Please Help

Old 07-26-2003, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help

I really want a bike.........I think they look like tons of fun but I also know that they can be very dangerous !!!!

With that having said.......Im looking at purchasing a GSX-R600 or maybe the ZX-6RR

I know neither of these bikes are anything remotely close to a beginners bike, especially the ZX-6RR.

The guy said he would give me a great deal on the ZX-6RR, that is why Im considering it......

I will be taking a motorcycle course, but not until next year. I would plan on maybe riding the bike very lightly until the end of summer. I prolly wouldn't go past 60km until next year.......I would just drive it around the residential arears, trying to hone my skills !!

Ive only driven a Sport scooter !! I know how to lean with the bike. I know a scooter is nothin like any of these bikes, but atleast I have a general consensus of what a bike feels like !!

Anyways, Im well aware of the dangers of a motorcyle, especially a sportbike !!! Do you think I should get one of the 600's and ride it carefully (pussy like) until I get some experience.....

I really dont want to start with a "beginner's" bike....I know that appears to be ignorant.......I would just rather take my time with a 600 and learn off of that .....unless someone can prove me otherwise

Opinions and suggestions would be most appreciated

Thanks guys
Old 07-26-2003, 11:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I really dont want to start with a "beginner's" bike....I know that appears to be ignorant.......I would just rather take my time with a 600 and learn off of that .....unless someone can prove me otherwise
LOL. I bet you've been to every sportbike forum already and posted this question and received the same kind of responses you are going to get here.

A 600CC SPORTBIKE IS NOT A BIKE TO START RIDING WITH

Sure it can be done but you will stunt your learning curve drastically by going in to a bike that has too much power for you to start with. Why do you think everyone recommends beginner bikes in the first place? Gee....let's do the math here. Because they are BEGINNER BIKES.

If you are afraid of being seen on a beginner bike then that concludes that you are mainly getting a sportbike for poser value and, IMO, you really aren't ready for a 600 if you are here asking this question. This is the same type of question that would come from someone that has no interest in owning a motorcycle strictly to RIDE. Which is simply why bikes were made in the first place. They weren't made so you could putt around "pussy like" on them trying to look good to those around you. Don't be so concerned with image and try and focus on the ride.

DEFINITELY TAKE AN MSF COURSE BEFORE YOU PURCHASE ANY KIND OF BIKE.

If I were you I would look in to a Suzuki GS500 or a Kawi Ninja 500R/EX500. Two extremely fun first bikes that don't look like trash and will give you complete enjoyment for, at the very least, your first six months. I have a strong feeling you won't though. Almost everyone that asks this question on ANY sportbike forum usually goes against the common knowledge, ends up getting a 600CC to start with, and drops it within the first few months on some simple manuever that they might have been able to handle on a lesser powered bike. WHATEVER you do just make sure you buy your first bike USED.

After all of this you live in Beverly Hills to boot. That is without a doubt NOT the place you want to learn how to ride a 600CC. If you do end up getting one, like most do, just make sure you take it out to the biggest empty parking lot you can find and practice the basics on it for HOURS. Do circle 8's, avoidance manuevers, braking simulation....basically all the stuff you would learn if you took an MSF class.

GOOD LUCK.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:48 PM

No No.....I dont live In Beverly Hills......I just put that in for fun

Im not looking for image, but rather the sheer convenience of having my bike of choice and not having to trade it in in the future

Mentally, I would be ready for the bike !!

However, my experience is minimal......

The only thing im concerned with is the throttle response.....that can get you into trouble......

All of the salesmen I've been too tell me no sportbike is a beginners bike. If you take it easy and learn slowly then you should be fine, aslong as you dont do anything STUPID !!!

You can killl yourself on any kind of bike !! The only difference is that the 600's amplify your mistakes.......probability of error rises

So you would completely advise me not to get either of these bikes ? Even if Im not a hot head who takes risks etc ?????

Thanks
Old 07-26-2003, 12:49 PM

Im not too too worried about dropping the bike as well because its new

As so far as $$, thats not too much of a problem if dropping the bike !!

Obviously I would try and prevent such a thing, but it would not be the end of the world to me
Old 07-26-2003, 02:28 PM

The following was taken from Sportbikes.net: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=124489
[QUOTE]
Hey folks. I just typed up a LONG PM to someone who wanted a little advice on some bikes. I thought I might as well share it with the rest of you, since there are newbs on here every day and the song remains the same regarding these decisions. remember, this is just my opinion...everyone is entitled to one.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:46 PM

O.H.; I suspect that you have already made up your mind, in which case none of following really matters... I can only repeat what has been said, time and time again by most long time riders about this issue.
Don't Do It! Find something a little more forgiving that will suffer your mistakes without hurting or killing you. You greatly under estimate the narcotic effect of a powerful modern sportbike! You don't get many second chances on a high HP sportbike. Do yourself, and the rest of us that are already paying high insurance rates a favor. Start out on something not so willing to take you to the dark side of bike riding. There are plenty of great 500-650 cc bikes out there that will let you know when (if) your ready for a "state of the art" sportbike. Just my .02.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the info, I really aprpeciate it !!

I would prolly practice in empty parking lots until next year when I take the course.......

See the way that Im thinkin right now is: I learn the controls and go very slow, and take it where theres not a lot of traffic, if any......I can gain enough confidence to take around residential areas

Then take the course next year and start up ..........

Essentially, I would hardly even "drive" the bike.......just learn the controls on it
Old 07-26-2003, 02:52 PM

You can't learn the skills you need in a empty parking lot!
Old 07-26-2003, 03:10 PM

Allright, well you guys are starting to convince me If I do go the Bike route.........

If I do get a beginners bike, I would want to spend the least amount of money as possible.......

What do you suggest ?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Chipster
You can't learn the skills you need in a empty parking lot!
yes you can. where do you think they hold the msf course.

Quick Reply: Please Help