Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Please GM, Fix the Corvette

Old 10-15-2009, 06:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sw05s2k,Oct 15 2009, 05:53 AM
I don't think GM could do anything to the Corvette to sway me, it was never a car I lusted after when I was kid (25+ years ago the Vette looked like ass) and its performance wasn't anything far and above anything else at the same time. Whereas Lamborghini, Ferrari & Porsche have continually stepped up their game, GM (IMO) has just smoothed out the exterior and made a "livable" interior all wrapped around an engine, and nothing much else. IMO, the Corvette should be a masterpiece of American and sports car technology to show everyone what they are capable of, instead it is considered the bargain sports car of the world because it just doesn't match up to others in the luxury/refinement department. The Corvette is a compromise, it is trying to be too many things to too many people in way too many markets, who can honestly justify a price spread of $50,000 between three models with the engine being arguably the only difference. The Corvette will always be considered a redneck Ferrari (or whatever) because other than the performance it really has nothing going for it, I highly doubt it will ever be anything more than it currently is, the only real American sports car and that's fine, but it isn't for me.
Things are only worth the price people are willing to pay .The Vette is a "Thing" and not a rolling piece of automotive art as are the true exotics. I say keep the Vette the way it is. A car the price of a house will never be possible for most of us and even if it were, would we actually buy one?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think GM could do anything to the Corvette to sway me, it was never a car I lusted after when I was kid (25+ years ago the Vette looked like ass) and its performance wasn't anything far and above anything else at the same time. Whereas Lamborghini, Ferrari & Porsche have continually stepped up their game, GM (IMO) has just smoothed out the exterior and made a "livable" interior all wrapped around an engine, and nothing much else. IMO, the Corvette should be a masterpiece of American and sports car technology to show everyone what they are capable of, instead it is considered the bargain sports car of the world because it just doesn't match up to others in the luxury/refinement department. The Corvette is a compromise, it is trying to be too many things to too many people in way too many markets, who can honestly justify a price spread of $50,000 between three models with the engine being arguably the only difference. The Corvette will always be considered a redneck Ferrari (or whatever) because other than the performance it really has nothing going for it, I highly doubt it will ever be anything more than it currently is, the only real American sports car and that's fine, but it isn't for me.
My eyes just watered. I'm 23 and I feel the same way you felt back then(performance aside).
Old 10-15-2009, 06:49 AM

I keep thinking about the idea of "bang for buck", which, in terms of performance, the Vette can't be touched....

And yet, I could strap lawn chair to an 800 hp engine and call it the same thing, and it'd be true. Zero refinement, spartan as a homeless shelter interior, but hey, I can pull 0-60 in a blink.

That's like the Ariel Atom

A car that's essentially tubular steel and engine in a go-kart factor. It's great, it's not ball-busting expensive, and yet - can you honestly daily drive this thing? Maybe in certain parts of the world where you get 2 mm of rain a year, and it's not 120F in the shade. Great for trackdays and convenience store runs for the sake of driving it. But try getting stuck behind a poorly tuned gravel dump truck with a full load and I swear you'll run back to your 1992 Ford Fiesta winter beater faster than I can say "stone chips in the face."

I'm not hating on the Corvette as a whole. What I'm saying is that everyone who goes, "....Well yeah, but that engine, wowee!" is like saying that girl is a "butterface!" (You know: she's got everything, but her face.)

... Wait, I get it now.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Comparing an affordable sportscar to boutique sportscars that cost at least double is always fair.
How didn't chevy improve the vette? How is it only based around an engine? How many times do we need to flail our arms and say the performance, straightline and HANDLING are exceptional with the vette.
How much do you think BMW will charge for a dedicated platform with 400+hp with great handling? Porsche? Merc? Audi?
I get why people knock the Cobalt (not the SS, just the run of the mill types), you have honda making a nearly comparably priced civic that has a fantastic interior, don't even get me started on a leather equipped accord (which imo has a better interior to a C Class merc... even a 3 series bmw but I gotta have more in person comparison time). But who makes a vette competitor for a comparable price and beats it in every category?
I mean, just the fact that you are comparing it to porsches and lambos is indicative of its capabilties. I don't see people doing the same with EVO Xs which cost 40K.
I'm tired of this argument of American beef sucks, look at what the Japanese do with their Kobe steaks... LOOK AT THE FRIGGIN COST.

The fact that GM can't do anything to sway you is a sign of your bias, I can list out things BMW and Porsche can do to make me buy one of their cars and sway me.
Opinions are fine, all I'm asking is be fair when you're trying to be objective. The vette isn't going to appeal to everybody and it shouldn't, but at least be educated in your criticisms.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by archtop,Oct 15 2009, 05:47 AM
I want another one just for the sound.Pretty slick shifting too!
That's my video. What is somewhat amusing is that I was holding my camera and the steering wheel with my left hand while shifting with my right hand.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Oct 15 2009, 09:18 AM
That's my video. What is somewhat amusing is that I was holding my camera and the steering wheel with my left hand while shifting with my right hand.
And that was on a closed course, correct?

Dan
Old 10-15-2009, 03:15 PM

I don't get what all the bitching is about related to the interior of the base vette.

On one hand you have some saying that the car costs too much in base trim. On the other hand you have someone saying the car has too much plastic and that it should be more like an M3 in terms of interior quality for the price. And lastly you have most folks happy with the way GM has been able to keep the car under 3300lbs....

If you were to install an M3 quality interior at least one of two things would happen that would open the flood gates for even more bitching about the car.

A: It would no longer weigh less then 3300lbs

B: It would no longer cost $50K

The last time I checked an M3 was quite roomy in the hips (ie..heavy) and also costs substantially more then the average vette.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Banned

I'm feeling the corvettes.I want a c6 in white.And i'm gonna be one of the first young punks with it.......
Old 10-15-2009, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree they got a bit nutty on price. I bought my '03 Z06 for $46K new. That was the top dog in the stable at the time. And its performance blew away anything else at that price.

I look at the new Z06 and, before discounting, it has more competition at its price and they raised the actual price into another zip code. The P-car zip code.

You can say it still represents value but I'm not seeing as MUCH value as the C5 had in its day, not so long ago. And yeah, I'll give you that the interior can be improved without increasing cost (much).

What the author didn't rag on, and should have, is having to deal with your Chevy dealer for warranty service. Definitely was not a premium experience for me.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol mods deleted whole bunch of stuff in here

Quick Reply: Please GM, Fix the Corvette