Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Please GM, Fix the Corvette

Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville,Oct 14 2009, 07:57 PM

I'm curious, for those who don't care for the Vette, what would make you like it.
modern exterior not based on a wedge, better interior. The dash itself isn't the problem, the center console, the choice in leather color (unsure if that grey is really that 90s Grand Am-esque.) is what bothers me most.

I could live with the price. I could also dial back on the performance and pay less - like a baby vette. I guess I'm sort of a poser in that sense. To this day the NSX is still something I lust after even though the performance is not really up to scratch. The "coolness" factor (subjective, I know) is what gets me excited.

I'm probably in the minority now, I guess I'm more GT than straight out sports car at this point, as my commute is total bumper-bumper, 45 minute to work, 1 hr back. So performance has taken a backseat.

Also, would like to NOT hear about any interior disintergration at low mileage that I've read from at least 1 person. True or not, they have to change that part of their perception - and until they do.... we've beaten this horse dead.

For example, I like the marketing of the new Taurus where they compared their cars w/ more expensive offerings. Propaganda or not, they are effective.

This may be a little too Lambo-like, but it's a great start.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^hmm i kinda like that for some reason.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:21 AM

What! I believe GM DID fix the vette. This is one of the few current cars I LOVE from GM. I will definitely pick one up. This is MY dream car.

Counterpoints:
1) The 'vette has always been the "supercar" -sure at one point it competed with the 280zx/300z, but those were outrageously priced in its time too.
2) The vette is supposed to be the attainable supercar, so its justified to continue pushing the package of the LSx engine.
3) The $ spent on upgrading the vette continues to push the R&D on the LSx engine that finds its way into almost EVERY chevy automobile. Gas mileage, Power, reliability is almost unmatchable by anything in its price range.

I do agree that GM has lost its way: They need to make a lighter car that has a decent interior and is somewhat practical for the teens.

I would LOVE (love love love) a V6T (ala buick GN) or a small V8 in a smaller model car. GM doesnt have any good looking car as of yet, so hows about making one off a lux platform (RWD, preferably).

They could use the same frame for a 4 seater/4door, 2 seater/2dr, 4st/2dr series...not a look the same car, but significantly change the damn thing:

M3 competition 4str/2dr
370z competition 2seat/2dr
STi competition 4str/4dr.

imagine a decent looking Chevy with a V6T/ecotecT/LSx engine in a:
Good handling, decent interior, sub 3200lb car!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea the interior is meh.. But I'm sure I'll be overlooking that when I can do 60 in 1at gear. I really like the c6 and I can almost guarantee I'll be in a used one for my next car. I love how it looks and performs. I don't care if GM built it because I'm not into brands, I'm into cars. Yes it's not the most refined and technologically advanced but the sheer brutish and Spartan nature of the car is what draws me in.

Note I'm 23 and the polar opposite of a white redneck and I'm more interested in a used C6 over many of the cars spoken about due to performance, reliability, and value. Hate on..
Old 10-15-2009, 04:27 AM

[QUOTE=ikeyballz,Oct 15 2009, 05:21 AM] I do agree that GM has lost its way:
Old 10-15-2009, 05:06 AM

Didn't the Z06 lose ~150 lbs.?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isnt't it the unrefinement of the Corvette one of it's selling points? Creaking plastic, inferior seats , accessories that seem to fail routinley counter balanced by blazing performance. And yet this is what most Vette owners would describe as the price you pay for driving a true sports car. The refinement of the Z's,S's, and anything else that may be described accuratly as a sports car can only be sneered at by true Vette-O-Philes. I've owned several Vettes in the -80's and can best describe the experience with each new purchase as a penchant for self mutalation. We just can't get enough and will never learn. Of course we really don't want to any way.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:47 AM

I want another one just for the sound.Pretty slick shifting too!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMecChZGLiQ [/media] sweet ride....
Old 10-15-2009, 05:53 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville,Oct 14 2009, 11:57 PM
I'm curious, for those who don't care for the Vette, what would make you like it. Forget the image and all that crap because it's just that crap. Also, over time that image will change if the car appeals to you outside of the image. So for the non-Corvette people, what would realistically get you into a Corvette. Please understand that if you say "$10,000 cheaper" GM would have to reduce the content of the car by "$10,000".
I don't think GM could do anything to the Corvette to sway me, it was never a car I lusted after when I was kid (25+ years ago the Vette looked like ass) and its performance wasn't anything far and above anything else at the same time. Whereas Lamborghini, Ferrari & Porsche have continually stepped up their game, GM (IMO) has just smoothed out the exterior and made a "livable" interior all wrapped around an engine, and nothing much else. IMO, the Corvette should be a masterpiece of American and sports car technology to show everyone what they are capable of, instead it is considered the bargain sports car of the world because it just doesn't match up to others in the luxury/refinement department. The Corvette is a compromise, it is trying to be too many things to too many people in way too many markets, who can honestly justify a price spread of $50,000 between three models with the engine being arguably the only difference. The Corvette will always be considered a redneck Ferrari (or whatever) because other than the performance it really has nothing going for it, I highly doubt it will ever be anything more than it currently is, the only real American sports car and that's fine, but it isn't for me.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:14 AM

The corvette doesnt have any problems. The only "problem" is with the perceived buyer demographic. GM can't do anything to change that, at least not fast, and, even if they could, shouldn't try and mess with a formula that works so well.

Quick Reply: Please GM, Fix the Corvette