Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Please GM, Fix the Corvette

Old 10-14-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

... oh christ, so if I wrote an opinion piece on BMWs, publish it on the net, can I tarnish the M3? Cuz I mean BMW owners are known for being great drivers on the highways, I've never been tailgated/cutoff/flipped off/etc from a BMW driver more so than any other car.
I think where this article is going to fail is that people will actually use this as a reference to discredit the vette.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL...good article, i'm with you on corvette not being cool enough...
it's a good car though but in my view i could always buy a M3, a 370z and be 10x happier,..
Old 10-14-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Deception,Oct 14 2009, 01:21 PM
And I wouldnt even mention them in the same sentence as a Corvette. Id rather have a used C5 than a new M3.
We all have our own opinions, etc, but this is just a ludicrous statement.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:51 AM

I'm not white or AARP age, and I love the new GS Vette. But I don't have the disposable income for it, and I do agree that the interior has to be improved upon. I love speed, and the 08+ C6s are just awesome to drive.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

[QUOTE=Saki GT,Oct 14 2009, 12:40 PM]Corvette just needs a nicer interior - use aluminum instead of plastic, add some better bolstered seats, less parts bin materials, and it would compete with more expensive cars and still cost less than them.

Even the base Corvette should have an aluminum and leather dash, for example.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:01 PM

I think the article is based as much on stereotypes as facts. However there is clearly some truth to it as illustrate by many of these posts. I also think the guy makes some good points. I don't see the article as way off base. Though I do like the car a lot and I don't fit the stereotypes at all.

So for those who have agreed with the article how would you fix the problems?

Personally I think a better styles interior (in general the materials are much better than they are given credit for) and a steering wheel that isn't shared with a Cobalt would be the biggest improvements. I see no reason to change the price point. The handling needs to be more lively but it does handle really well and I think it looks great.

I think as the car is better and better the following will come. How many car nuts would have luster after a Subaru in the 1980s?
Old 10-14-2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Oct 14 2009, 12:01 PM
+1

Honestly, that's all that's lacking. The Vette looks good, it is way faster than anything else (new) in that price range, and it is both durable and insurable (contrary to the writer's statement).

I consider it the holy grail of PERFORMANCE for just about any price range (base C6 Z51 > anything under $65K, Z06 > anything under $90K, ZR1 > anything, virtually) but the overall feel of the car isn't upscale, that's for sure.

Add in a unique interior (one that shares virtually nothing with any other GM vehicle) and you'll get a complete winner that is unassailable.

It's funny, though. The writer completely ignores the fact that the C6 whomps all over anything in its price range (and well above it) for performance and moans about how it doesn't look good ( ) and isn't "cool".

People buying a G35/G37 aren't looking for a hardcore sports car, which is what the Vette is. Neither are people buying an M3, despite it being more focused (in terms of sportiness) than a G35/G37. Half the people buying those cars are posers or rich kids getting a car from Daddy. I think I'd rather be a redneck than a poser, quite frankly, though when it all comes down to it, I don't care what label people throw at me. Kind of hard to call a clean-cut, 6 ft tall white guy a redneck, right?
Ironically the wheel is the only parts bin part I see in the Corvette interior is the wheel. The radio and hvac look parts bin but I don't see any car that uses the same parts. GM has some parts bin parts that look better.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by rockville,Oct 14 2009, 03:01 PM
See, here's the thing... I don't think that my problems with the vette are 'problems'... I think they're reasons I personally wouldn't buy the car. The difference is, if they changed things about it that I personally didn't like, they'd alienate far more people than they'd draw... so that will never happen. For most people, they aren't problems at all.

To put it another way: the vette is a great, successful car. They don't *need* to change anything, and they won't. They have a formula that works. Things I don't like about the car aren't problems, they're just reasons why I'm in an s2000 and not a vette. I'm obviously in the minority, given the # of s2000s sold vs vettes... why would GM appeal to the minority when the masses love the vette?

the article makes sense right up until he calls for chevy to actually *Do something* about the issues people have with the car. Aside from some minor tweaks to the interior, they could leave it the same forever and get hardly a complaint from anyone... or at least, anyone they care about.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville,Oct 14 2009, 04:01 PM
Either

A) Keep it exactly the same as it sits right now and reduce the sticker price by say $10k off the base model, that way no one can really bitch about the quality of the materials in a $40k car, this still would require something being done to the Z06 & ZR-1 models though.

B) Stop raping the parts bin and derive a 100% Corvette only interior, and increase the quality of the materials on each model as they go up in price. The Z06 should have a nicer interior than the base and the ZR-1 should have a nicer interior than the Z06.

The stereotype will always be there, just as there is with every car make, it doesn't mean that you also fit the stereotype, get over it.

I found I agreed with the article far more than I disagreed with it, but when I was a kid (I'm 36) I always drooled over my 911 & Ferrari Hot Wheels & Matchbox cars as those were what I dreamed for, and still do. I have no issue whatsoever with Vette owners or anyone who lusts after them, it's kind of like religion to me, you can believe in whatever you want, but please don't tell me I need to believe the same way.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asiliat,Oct 14 2009, 01:30 PM
I'm in agreeance with the article for the most part. Not in the factual bits (I haven't seen what the Grand sport pacakge is, etc).

The corvette shape hasn't drastically changed since the 80s. And while it's done well for a 911, the Vette looks outdated in current form. That's just subjective of course.

I also agree that sometimes, style is more than substance. The Vette is a beast in any trim - but it just doesn't scream refinement in the looks department.

And the interior is horrible. C'mon, the S doesn't have the most updated feel in terms of interior layout, but it's still better than the vette.

That grey colour interior is so 1980s....

The so called adjustable steering column doesn't telescope and it goes up and down in 4 or 5 predetemined positions (in clicks).

I went to a car show a few years ago and sat in it. I jumped out of the car so fast it was just plain aweful!

The interior belongs to a $30K car, and that's it.

Quick Reply: Please GM, Fix the Corvette