Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Please GM, Fix the Corvette

Old 10-14-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sahtt,Oct 14 2009, 01:28 PM
Who cares if it's 50k new? A friend of mine just bought a white c6, above average options, 9k miles, one owner, a year old, for about 25k.
A year old with 9k miles for $25k. Hmm...I doubt that.

05-06s with 30-40k miles go for more than that.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sahtt,Oct 14 2009, 10:28 AM

Who cares if it's 50k new? A friend of mine just bought a white c6, above average options, 9k miles, one owner, a year old, for about 25k.
gm doesn't make money off used cars
Old 10-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I think the guy put my own toughts into words. I like the current vette a lot, and I even think in some colors it looks cool. But the image that it gives off, the price and the quality have all left car I like more that are either slightly cheaper or slightly more expensive.

I have decided the other day while reading the Best Drivers Car article that I am now saving for a Porsche Cayman S. It is quick enough, it is cool, it looks beautiful. I like the looks of the Vette, but I truly admire the lines of the Cayman every time I see one.

Unfortunately for me I am cheap so I will save for a couple years and hope to find a low milage 2010 model at hopefully $20k below original sticker. Just have to drive the Honda hoopty I guess.

And for all the crap the Vette has taken over the years for the lousy interior, the current one is not fantastic, but I am fine with it. Its been much worse and its decent, just not stellar.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I am on the fence regarding this 'column'.

While I see the point that the Corvette is a performance bargain, I want more than performance for 50K. Though I think the C6 brings the best exterior ever on a Vette, I don't consider it to be the best looking performance car on the road. And the interior - well, after some personal experience with GM interiors, and seeing a friends '08 Z06 start to fall apart inside at 3K miles - GM has some quality issues there that I would not want to deal with.

I guess the bottom line is that I am from a generation where the Corvette is not the holy grail of sports cars as it was for generations past, and for that much money (or a little bit more) I am probably going to end up in a used 911 or M3. I have longed for a 911 since I was about 14-years old, and owning a performance bargain such as a C6 Corvette won't stop my head from turning and staring each time I see a 911 on the street.

The only Vette I will buy will be when I can afford to buy a 1962 version for my dad, a car he has been dreaming of owning for decades.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:40 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Corvette just needs a nicer interior - use aluminum instead of plastic, add some better bolstered seats, less parts bin materials, and it would compete with more expensive cars and still cost less than them.

Even the base Corvette should have an aluminum and leather dash, for example. As for costing $50 and up, the Camaro will fill the $25-50k range.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I find it a little strange that the mechanic does not mention that even for the performance bargain that it is, to me it kind of cheapens it every time GM looks to go slapping that engine into other cars. You can get the same power in the Camaro, which to me is even more, oh I guess the author used the term hillbilly, and thus tarnishes the Vette a little. "You got a Vette? I got the same powertrain in my GM model XXX at half the price."

That may sound insane, but what would you think Porsche if they started selling live axel muscle cars at $30k to 20 year olds and guys in trailer parks? Kind of blemishes the brand image a bit.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Retirement car man... stays in the garage M-F and only comes out in sundays for sunday mass and drinks after. Well atleast thats the standard the old ****s in suncity fla go by... Man they can make some long ass lines for the liquor stores. Ahh the life, to be old and drunk every day!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vader1,Oct 14 2009, 01:48 PM
That may sound insane, but what would you think Porsche if they started selling live axel muscle cars at $30k to 20 year olds and guys in trailer parks? Kind of blemishes the brand image a bit.

Thats why Porsche is Porsche and not Chevy, they dont make Mullet friendly cars!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:54 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by asiliat,Oct 14 2009, 02:30 PM
Take a look at this interior. Look at the radio. Look at the HVAC. Go look at the interior of an Audi A4, a Volvo, even a dated BMW 3, much less the $50k versions of these cars. The Corvette needs nicer materials.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Mechanic is a great writer. His pieces always make me think that someone in the car review world actually paid attention in English class.
Other than the way it was written, the article pretty much sucks. I'm not a Corvette For-And-Nor-But-Or-Yet, but I do know that the Corvette is an incredible car to not only drive but to also own.
The day I own a Corvette and some dude in an Infiniti or Bimmer says, "Hey, pal, your 'Vette speaks volumes on how uncool you truly are," I will laugh. I will laugh until my ribs hurt. Then I will kill him.

Quick Reply: Please GM, Fix the Corvette