Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Please GM, Fix the Corvette

Old 10-22-2009, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-22-2009, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, do people think an EVO comes across as a premium car? Do people think the Corvette is a non-premium car? You may disagree with the term "classy" but I think we can all agree the EVO is a very fast econobox while the Corvette is a nice car that's really fast.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:16 AM

^That works. And no, the EVO is not considered a premium car. I think the term "premium" has to do more with the brand itself rather than a single model. For example, isn't any of GMs large SUVs available at 50k+? I still wouldn't consider it premium...
Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 AM

Chevy does NOT = class......

The Corvette is a good car though
Old 10-22-2009, 11:19 AM

The corvette has been a world-class sports car since the C5 in that it can legitemately compete with other sports/GT cars from around the world. It has its finer points: Consistantly at the upper end of the acceleration chart as well as holding fastest lap times in comparo tests from time to time, incredable flexability in its power band due to its tried and trued nearly 100 year-old V8 engine, great hwy mpg. if you want it from the latter combined with a super tall top gear ratio., and a somewhat recognizable design on the road.

It falls short in terms of quality of materials, interior/exterior design, and a seemingly un-shakeable reputation for being a sports car for people with poor taste. This is afterall a sports car desinged by a company that relies on its truck sales and bottom dollar rental cars to stay alive. The interior design is absolutely unacceptable for a car that offers, in its most basic trim, performance that matches cars costing $10-40 more. Unfortunately this happens to be were a driver spends most of their time, inside the car. Its body design looks as though GM was "inspired" by the NSX (sepecially evidant in the C5), and Ferrari's 360, 550, and 430.

However, fact is fact, and GM now makes a Crovette that can outperform any car at the same price and satisfy an enthusiests primal urge for almost bottomless torque for exiting corners and tons of power on straightaways in a package that can actualy corner quite well, maybe even as good as some of the "handling aces" from around the wrold. But can it satisfy an enthusiests need for a pure and direct connection with the road, whatch-like craftsmenship throughout, cutting-edge engine/suspension/chassis technology, and its own unique signature from a marque that has won continuous world chaminships in Formula 1 and Proto-type sports car endurance racing - 2 of the most trying arena's for a car companies engineering, resource, innovation, and design prowess?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:22 PM

Slip,

That was a well written post but I do have a few issues with it. While the Corvette's interior styling and execution have been subpar (but somewhat over blown in my opinion in the case of the C6) I don't think the exterior styling has ever been lacking right back to the C1.

The Corvette's suspension has historically been cutting edge and still is even today. The Corvette's IRS setup has historically been more sophisticated than much of what is coming out of Germany at the same time. The C4's rear setup was generally more advanced than the semi-trailing arm setups used by most German makes in '84. The fiberglass springs are simply put, the most advanced passive springs used on any car. The same can be said for the dampers used on the ZR1 and Z55 cars.

The Corvette's chassis has always been bespoke. The only car to ever share a chassis with the Corvette (I might be wrong about the C2 and C3) is the Caddy XLR.

I would also argue that the Corvette has at most times in it's life had cutting edge engines. The I6 wasn't overly cutting edge. The emissions choked motors were not. However, the LT5 and all the LSx motors are certainly state of the art. The current gearboxes aren't state of the art but aren't embarrassing either. The rear mounted transmission is still a rare feature in front engine RWD cars. I think the next most popular car with such a layout would be the 928.

None of this means the car is without fault and none means it can't be improved but I do think your well written post, while giving credit, didn't give quite as much credit as it should have.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:40 AM

I don't like the look of any corvettes except the c6 z06, which looks great, in my opinion. 0-60 in 3.6s and 24mpg highway is awesome. I think they've always had great highway gas mileage due to aerodynamics. If that's the case, why on earth would they ditch the design for something else?

As far as I am concerned, the corvette is the only thing american cars have done right.

Still prolly wouldn't buy one though, heh.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ralleh,Oct 23 2009, 10:40 AM
I think they've always had great highway gas mileage due to aerodynamics.
While the aerodynamics certainly does help, it's the double overdrive 6 speed manual that helps give it great mileage by keeping revs exceptionally low.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ralleh,Oct 23 2009, 02:40 PM
As far as I am concerned, the corvette is the only thing american cars have done right.
I'd say the Ford GT and Viper are also two outstanding American products (just to start).
Old 10-23-2009, 12:35 PM

I think the Ford GT is one of the sexiest cars on the road.

Quick Reply: Please GM, Fix the Corvette