Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Please GM, Fix the Corvette

Old 10-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by btstone84,Oct 21 2009, 11:48 AM
it was a dumbass move, so i just stuck with what the artcle did.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see where some people draw a line in the sand on the "classy" label.

The vette is not classy IMO because as a buyer or owner you have to deal with a Chevy dealer. Now I've heard of BMW, Porsche, Lexus and Infiniti dealers referred to as classy but I've NEVER heard someone claim a Chevy dealer was.

That end of the experience is a total let-down and has to burn similarly to Ford GT owners having to go to Ford dealers instead of, say, Aston Martin. GM could have shifted customer service up a big notch by selling/servicing these through Caddy dealers.

The other downer for the vette's social status is the nature of too many of the owners. The owners club meets I attended had an over-abundance of mullet-with-money guys (the no-money guys bought F-bodies) who are the mirror image of the domestic bashers on typical import car boards (um, like here). The vette was the "dream car" of too many owners and any talk of garage queens only driven on Sundays just disgusted me. I always recognized mine as the 'most car I could afford' at the time.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I guess if someone thinks they are too good for a Chevy dealer, perhaps it's not Corvette owners who are a problem?

People declaring themselves too "classy" to visit a dealer that doesn't spend money on a dressy waiting area disgusts me. Money might buy a "VIP" experience, but it doesn't buy class.

If your Corvette was the most expensive car you could afford, you hardly have any room to look down on "mullets-with-money." They might have a mullet, but apparently their Corvette is merely toy car money to them.

I drive a Mustang, and still I have to listen to people talk about the car as if driving in the rain or on a weekday will ruin it. They're just cars. Everyone has a different idea of what is appropriate, and there is no right or wrong, just personal preference.

I personally don't prefer to hang out with people just because we all own the same car. Owners clubs don't appeal to me at all. It's such a superficial way to define a group;

And a Porsche salesman told me something a long time ago that we all need to be reminded of - don't judge a person based on looks, because people are deeper than that and you set yourself up for an unpleasant surprise. And beg others to judge you unflatteringly the same way.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:36 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I own a Corvette and I don't think it's a classy car. For that matter, I really don't consider any car to be "classy." People can be classy, cars cannot IMHO.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:53 PM

Nunco, my personal complaint is how I myself was treated at three Chevy dealers. You need concrete examples? How about one-way shuttle service? Sure, we'll drop you off but good luck on that pick-up later! Want coffee? Sure, we got a pot of cowboy-coffee perking right there for a day or so. How about that fancy $30 a day rental car I got during several long warranty procedures? yow, those were nasty. Stuff like that defines low-class to me.

A nice waiting area is indeed PART of the definition of a classy dealership. My Honda dealer has a kick-@ss waiting area and attentive service writers, a whole level above my Chevy dealers.

What does it take to define it for you? You bought a Mustang. That costs about half what the vette costs and about the same as most other Ford products on the showroom floor. You don't (shouldn't) have the same expectations of class as the vette owner.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:01 PM

Gotta say that my local BMW dealer's service dept. is the best I've ever experienced! Home theater w/ movies playing, childrens' play area, internet stations, pagers for when your car is ready, free food/drinks, big screen TV, work cubes, etc....and of course if they can't do it while you wait, you get a loaner BMW.

I've never thought of that as making my car any more classy, but it does add to the ownership experience. (OTOH, paying $10+/qt. of oil doesn't)
Old 10-21-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by btstone84,Oct 21 2009, 10:21 AM
all the kids are liking e46s and g35s because they are cheap, cheap to modify, and cheap to insure and maintain.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:41 PM

[QUOTE=btstone84,Oct 21 2009, 11:21 AM]all the kids are liking e46s and g35s because they are cheap, cheap to modify, and cheap to insure and maintain.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:53 PM

I can also say that a C6 is cheaper to insure than my M3!
Old 10-22-2009, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by rockville,Oct 21 2009, 02:23 PM
I stand by classy. I think a non car person would say it's a nice car/ premium car. I don't see people thinking the EVO is anything more than an econobox that goes fast.
Ahhh, but marketing works wonders.

All kinds of people think all kinds of things because of excellent marketing.

Just because non-car people think it's a "classy" car does not actually make it a "classy" car...

Quick Reply: Please GM, Fix the Corvette