Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Please GM, Fix the Corvette

Old 10-16-2009, 09:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Who is this guy that created a new account just to defend vette and expose his massive fanboyness? Moderator should do an IP check
Old 10-16-2009, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdy,Oct 16 2009, 09:57 AM
I think you are missing the point. People dislike the poor design of the interior. It looks cheap and from the part bin even though it most likely isn't. The "cavaggio" interior doesn't do much to address that. For the most part they just improve the quality of the materials. And so you know, it probably wouldn't cost them much more to design an interior that is more appealing to look at. It could even be made out of the same or similar materials, so cost and weight changes would be negligible.
Then we are just talking about aesthetics. And the thing with that is that everyone is a critic and tastes vary.

With a performance car like the Corvette, the performance is the focus. In a car like the M3, the interior is at least as important to buyers as the performance. That's why they both exist, and they aren't far apart on price. So buyers have at least two options for state of the art sports cars (the M3 is more of a GT, but whatever) depending on their preference.

Is the M3 broken because it has too many complicated doodads and weighs too much? Those complaints do arise with the M3. I wouldn't call it broke, just another option in the market. People who think there is too much car in the M3 will buy something else, but BMW still sells as many as it makes, even if that is far less than Chevy sells of Corvettes.

The question might be asked, "Should Chevy make another M3?" And I think the answer is no, the M3 already exists. What can be gained by aping it? But that doesn't mean people won't want the package of the Corvette but with interior upgrades and blame GM for not making it
Old 10-16-2009, 10:05 AM

^Yep. "Cavaggio" LOL... is that supposed to instill a feeling of luxury? I'm not sure why they made the exterior looks so great (minus the painted headlights) and leave the interior looking so morbid.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FearlessFife,Oct 14 2009, 01:39 PM
......And the interior - well, after some personal experience with GM interiors, and seeing a friends '08 Z06 start to fall apart inside at 3K miles - GM has some quality issues there that I would not want to deal with.

Sometimes, it makes you wonder how the heck a car manufacturer can make a car going from 0-60 under 5 secs but can't make a car without its interior falling apart prematurely.

Honestly, how many million of dollars one has to spend to design plactic trim pieces which actually stick together.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:53 AM
mdy

[QUOTE=NuncoStr8,Oct 16 2009, 10:04 AM] Then we are just talking about aesthetics.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing about the M3 is, whenever BMW decides to make a lightweight version they charge a bazillion dollars for it!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Do you guys realize the design of the C6 interior was probably finalized back in 2002 or 2003?!?!?! Think about the interior of the C5 (I owned one for almost 5 years) and the DRAMATIC improvement the C6 was!!

Rest assured the same design team that created the interiors of the new CTS, Malibu, and the other new cars coming out from GM will play a hand in the C7 interior.

I predict a knock out, space age interior for the C7 and I will be getting one.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:24 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Oct 16 2009, 12:00 PM
The thing about the M3 is, whenever BMW decides to make a lightweight version they charge a bazillion dollars for it!
And it will still be a car that is dimensionally inferior, have a less race-oriented suspension layout, less rubber, and still probably weigh more than the C6.

Don't get me wrong, I like the M3 in it's own way, but it is not the sports car that the Corvette is even if you take some weight out.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:40 PM
mdy

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Oct 16 2009, 12:19 PM
Do you guys realize the design of the C6 interior was probably finalized back in 2002 or 2003?!?!?! Think about the interior of the C5 (I owned one for almost 5 years) and the DRAMATIC improvement the C6 was!!

Rest assured the same design team that created the interiors of the new CTS, Malibu, and the other new cars coming out from GM will play a hand in the C7 interior.

I predict a knock out, space age interior for the C7 and I will be getting one.
I'm really looking forward to what they come up with for the c7 and hoping its the whole deal.

I also completely agree with both those points, however I don't think that either of those are compelling reasons why they didn't do a better job on the interior. Honestly I don't think its terrible, but its a lazy design. They could have done so much more. This could be because I might have a different perspective on this due to personal experiences; in school I worked a few interior sponsored projects.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Yeah, I don't think it is terrible, but it really is a bit "pickup truck" like. I hope QUICKAG is right and they come out with a better layout.

Quick Reply: Please GM, Fix the Corvette