Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Picked up the new Fit EV!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imtigahwoodz
Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer' timestamp='1380298634' post='22799727
I'm looking at a new job with a 100 mile per day round trip commute. That Fit would be pushing it for me if I don't have a charging station at the workplace. Is it totally electric? Are they available in Arizona?
Yes, they are totally electric. Without a reliable charging station near your work, the Fit would not work for you. They aren't available in Arizona.

They are being leased in California, Oregon, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Rhode Island.

Maybe look into the Rav4EV? I think they have a little over 100 mile range, but even then, I don't know if that would really work out for you either. You'd be pushing really close as well. Check with Marthafokker, he has one.

I think the Volt or a regular hybrid would be best for a 100 mile commute. Maybe look into a NGV? Problem with NGV's is that there aren't many stations around.
If not in CA, I would stay out of the Rav4ev all together. Since this car is a little software buggy, you will have to visit a Toyota dealer with help from Tesla mechanics. So you will not be able to find a qualified Toyota dealer to do the job. Even when you do, Toyota is playing hardball with out of state Rav4ev owners. Toyota cooperate is denying payment if non-CA Toyota EV certified dealers are performing any service. Toyota DO NOT WANT THEIR RAV4ev to be popular. They want to sell you fuel cell cars in 2 years. Or you can drive one of their Prius.

As for range. If driving long distances, you should easily get 100 miles on 80% charge. At 100% charge, you can expect 120 miles easily if taken easy. Have seen people with 140+ miles driving at 65mph with 100% charge. [edit: talking about the Rav4ev, not the FitEV]

Like imtigahwoodz said, you may want to look into a PHEV, hybrid, diesel, or even the new mazda6 (at 40 mph freeway for a large car). That Mazda6 with e-loop will save brake pads (like a hybrid and EV).
Old 09-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Late to the party but very cool. Looks really neat, congrats.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cant wait for that thing to get here (Oklahoma). Congrats.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:20 AM

We should organize a EV meet around Savi Ranch tigawoods! I just got my FitEV this weekend and love it so far. In sport mode with TC off this car has major tractions issues! The best part so far is that a lot of charging stations are providing FREE charging on their 240V chargers. The Plugshare app really helps find stations and Chargepoint will unlock the plug for you remotely until your RFID card arrives.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by J Schmidt
That thing (FitEV) is not going to get to Oklahoma. This is Honda's compliance car to meet state car sales requirement to do business in CARB states.

The one you might keep an eye on is the Tesla model E that has been rumored about. Supposed to be like BMW 3 Series size and price. With a livable range too.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:46 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd be all over this if we didn't have the CR-Z. One hell of a deal!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Late to the party but very cool. Looks really neat, congrats.

Originally Posted by J Schmidt
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by BoostLE
We should organize a EV meet around Savi Ranch tigawoods! I just got my FitEV this weekend and love it so far. In sport mode with TC off this car has major tractions issues! The best part so far is that a lot of charging stations are providing FREE charging on their 240V chargers. The Plugshare app really helps find stations and Chargepoint will unlock the plug for you remotely until your RFID card arrives.
Congrats! A meet sounds cool...not sure how many FEV's are actually in this area though.

Where did you get yours and how long was your wait?

Originally Posted by marthafokker
[The one you might keep an eye on is the Tesla model E that has been rumored about. Supposed to be like BMW 3 Series size and price. With a livable range too.
It'll be real interesting to see what's available in the next 2-3 years. I heard GM is trying to produce an EV with a 200 mile range around $30K as well.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you are in Ontario. Would you mind meeting up sometime so i could check it out?
Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by QuagmireS2k
Since you are in Ontario. Would you mind meeting up sometime so i could check it out?
Sure, it would have to be on the weekends though.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by imtigahwoodz
Originally Posted by marthafokker' timestamp='1380229375' post='22798484
The nice thing about the FitEV is it being so efficient that you could do a quick 1 hr recharge somewhere if you need to. 1 hr at 6.6kwh is maybe about 25 miles extra?

imtigahwoodz
Is your FitEV's range (85 miles?) you are getting from 100% charge or 80% charge?
25 miles per hour charged sounds about right...yeah, the 85 miles is from a full 100% charge.

I'd be curious to know if your wife notices any significant decrease in range in the winter months. How cold does it get up in NorCal in Nov-Feb?
That is the dumbest thing I have ever read concerning a car. 1 hour to get enough juice to go 25 miles? 85 mile max range? The car is a novelty at best. I cannot think of a single thing it has going for it from a practical view.

Quick Reply: Picked up the new Fit EV!