Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Picked up an '03 Vibe GT as my new daily driver...

Old 01-01-2003, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure if the 1ZZ motor has any more low end power, have not matched up both hp/tq curves, but I just did a few Gtech runs and was very surprised by the results. My Matrix has the 1ZZ engine and a five speed and figured the 0-60 time to be around 10 seconds with the weight of the car and only the 130hp/130tq. After two runs, another calibration and then a crude stopwatch run I was getting 8.5s as the lowest run and an average of 8.7s to 60mph. I was very surprised by these numbers and with the supercharger coming available for the 1ZZ in a few months it seems as though it may be the better selection for modification. With this said, the power of the 1ZZ peters out at the top end and hits the fuel cutoff at 116mph. The 2ZZ should do much better here at higher speeds.

P.S. The runs completed were with the airbox lifted off and the filter attached to intake. Since there is not CAI available it works for now and sounds nice and deep as well.

Konrad
Old 01-04-2003, 12:52 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Those mid 8 second times sound about right. Also, there is a CAI available for the Vibes, both an AEM and a Injen. I'm thinking about picking up one as I loved my CAI on my '97 Prelude. When it hit VTEC just over 5k it sounded really sweet as it wound past the 7500rpm redline. I'm sure the 2ZZ motor sounds similar.

The base 5-speed with the blower is going to be faster than the 2ZZ without any mods. That said, I prefer the revving the motor. If I want torque, I'll just get in the C5. Nonetheless, the blower seems like it's going to be a good mod as it's covered under the factory warranty and will really wake up the motor with some much needed torque.

The more I think about it, I'm sure after you factor in the different gearing of the 6-speed, it should have atleast as much pull down low with the 2ZZ as it does with the 1ZZ and the 5-speed. The top-end is where the 2ZZ really shines. It's a very flexible motor, very docile down low and pulls pretty good up high.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I looked there were CAI's only available for the 2ZZ. One thing about the 1ZZ is it has no space around the airbox so it would be a tight fit if a CAI was put in. The sound with the CAI should be nice, my AEM on the S sounds fantastic after VTEC.

Those mid 8's surprised me since all the mag. times I found were in the low 10's. I though maybe I was lucky and had received a strong motor.

Konrad
Old 01-04-2003, 05:53 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Go to genvibe.com. It's a decent website. There's so pictures in there of a few CAI's. The area around the airbox on the 2zz is very tight too, but they get it to fit. I guess I don't know for sure that they have CAI's for the 1zz.

About a ten second 0 to 60, that's really slow. That's probably the automatic version. The 1zz Toyota corolla five-speed ripped off a 7.9 second 0 to 60 in a car magazine. Mid 8's definitely sounds reasonable because I don't know the weight difference between the corolla and the vibe, but they're based on the same platform.