Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Photo-enforced lights!

Old 11-23-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vik2000,Nov 23 2007, 10:00 AM
...I watched in some show that if you exceed certain speed, the camera isn't able to catch you... well obviously that's some real high speed. But I agree that these cameras are definitely annoying cockroaches. Cameras are too dumb to recognize what's really illegal.
Not sure which show that might have been, but Mythbusters tried finding what speed the camera would fail to ID your car at. Let's just say there's no factory-made street-legal car capable of escaping the camera flash. They had to try a jet-powered drag car to beat it (though something less spectacular but just as fast might have worked as well).

The idea that you can escape the camera by driving faster though it is completely erroneous, and judging by how fast you'd have to be driving to pull it off, it would be extremely dangerous and practically impossible to do on a residential thoroughfare. Take into account time to accel and traffic density et al, and it's just not going to happen. Mythbusters couldn't do it driving 130+ through one, and even someone in a McLaren F1 isn't going to pull it off.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slamnasty,Nov 23 2007, 01:22 PM
Not sure which show that might have been, but Mythbusters tried finding what speed the camera would fail to ID your car at. Let's just say there's no factory-made street-legal car capable of escaping the camera flash. They had to try a jet-powered drag car to beat it (though something less spectacular but just as fast might have worked as well).

The idea that you can escape the camera by driving faster though it is completely erroneous, and judging by how fast you'd have to be driving to pull it off, it would be extremely dangerous and practically impossible to do on a residential thoroughfare. Take into account time to accel and traffic density et al, and it's just not going to happen. Mythbusters couldn't do it driving 130+ through one, and even someone in a McLaren F1 isn't going to pull it off.
Neither did I suggest him to do so nor said it was a good idea period.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Nov 23 2007, 08:47 AM
If you were turning right on a red light, and didn't stop prior to making the turn, what you did is illegal. You have to come to a complete stop.

If you were already stopped then you were perfectly legal and they shouldn't give you a ticket (unless there is a sign that says "no right turn on red light").
No, no, I did stop and look at the incoming cars, it was empty, so I proceeded. Just as I proceeded to turn, "FLASH"! And there's no "no turning on red" sign at that place.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vik2000,Nov 23 2007, 02:23 PM
Neither did I suggest him to do so nor said it was a good idea period.
I'm not calling you on the carpet, I'm agreeing with you.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by kumainu,Nov 23 2007, 02:45 PM
No, no, I did stop and look at the incoming cars, it was empty, so I proceeded. Just as I proceeded to turn, "FLASH"! And there's no "no turning on red" sign at that place.
I would think you'd be in the clear. I wouldn't worry about it until you get the ticket in the mail.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Slamnasty,Nov 23 2007, 01:22 PM
The idea that you can escape the camera by driving faster though it is completely erroneous,
Top Gear's done it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ph-qv4gYAE8
Old 11-23-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by asiliat,Nov 23 2007, 06:28 PM
From what I hear in the UK they have to take two pictures of your plate, so the way Top Gear did it was by driving so fast that the second picture didn't catch the car, so no ticket. In the USA they only need one picture, on MythBusters they only way they were ablet to get it to not take a picture was to go over 200+ MPH in a jet powered dragster, in that case the camera didn't even try taking a picture.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Sweet Jesus, what sick, demented country do you all live in? We've got some cameras going up here in S FL, but I've never had a ticket from one (knocking wood...) and I don't know anyone that's gotten one...

So can all those cops freed up by technology go and, like, solve some murders or bring in a few pederasts? Didn't think so...
Old 11-23-2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by asiliat,Nov 23 2007, 04:28 PM
Well, yes TopGear did it to Britain's laws and setup...but not to ours, as others have already noted. As the Mythbusters proved (or seemed to prove anyhow) anything so small as a medium-sized bird can set the camera off. Additionally, they employed a Murchy to do the high-speed test. They didn't get up to 176 like TG did, but

Sweet Jesus, what sick, demented country do you all live in? We've got some cameras going up here in S FL, but I've never had a ticket from one (knocking wood...) and I don't know anyone that's gotten one...

So can all those cops freed up by technology go and, like, solve some murders or bring in a few pederasts? Didn't think so...
Come to Arizona and you're likely to find out fast just how many cameras there are around here. I'd guess only London and D.C. are more heavily policed in this regard.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Vik2000,Nov 23 2007, 10:00 AM
I got flashed once beating a red light but never got a letter.

I watched in some show that if you exceed certain speed, the camera isn't able to catch you... well obviously that's some real high speed. But I agree that these cameras are definitely annoying cockroaches. Cameras are too dumb to recognize what's really illegal.
I know a few years back in Japan you could beat the express way speed cameras by going 170 kph (about 108 mph) ...There was an article written about the Signal Skyline and it talked a bit about it.

But that was back in 2002 I believe... I haven't heard anything about being able to "outrun" the cameras used in the US or any more recently articles of Japan's cameras... so I'm not gonna try it, but if you do and get away with it, please post

Quick Reply: Photo-enforced lights!