Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Photo-enforced lights!

Old 11-22-2007, 10:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In mississippi they found a great way to stop getting bad tickets from those... they took a paintball gun and just shot until they nailed the camera. voila. i bet that paint works better even than the 3m filter.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kumainu,Nov 22 2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks! Maybe I'll give that a try, when I know what it is.

Yes, I was making a legal right turn and then "FLASH!".
FTR, I wouldn't actualy do that - those privacy filters cut glare also, so it will be obvious you have something over your plate, which may be illegal in your state - and it's illegal in the first place to interfere w/ law enforcement. That said, it would probably work if you oriented it correctly.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:02 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

New Orleans recently got a few cameras and issued 13,000 tickets in the 1st three weeks. They say it's not about the money.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:19 AM

You all can thank Arizona for this. Here they have them up along highways and interstates. I don't know what the setups in other cities are like but here they flash you from the front and the back so there's no mistaking who's driving the car attached to the license plate. They got quarterback Matt Leinart like this with the Scottsdale 101 speed cameras a few months back.

As far as the laptop privacy thing goes, I've never seen one in use, and if it is really that effective, I can't see how it wouldn't distort your LP enough to be illegal just driving around. The Mythbusters tried 5 different methods and the only one that worked was Jaime's LP flipper, which is about as illegal as it gets. Everything else that just covered up the LP and was supposed to distort the flash from the cameras failed miserably.

I was initially not against the cameras idea, but now they are getting so elaborate with it, and putting them everywhere that it's starting to get out of hand. This is definitely all about the money.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX11,Nov 23 2007, 01:18 AM
Get some white cardboard and cut it to the size of the license plate. Use color markers to make it look about like your state plate. Then put the numbers of your local newspaper editor's car on the plate. Or any pro camera people/famous people from your area. Doubleside sticky tape it over your plate then go run some red lights from that right turn lane.

Really, don't do anything illegal. But it would be fun to rent the same car they have and do the plate thing to mess with someone. Speed cameras would be the best.

Not that he should do it, but very funny idea. Justice served!

Old 11-23-2007, 07:47 AM

Received 233 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by kumainu,Nov 22 2007, 08:36 PM
Just last night, I was at a red light about to make a right turn from the closest lane, which is perfectly legal, suddenly I saw a flash. I think the camera flashed me, thinking I was running a red light when I was turning right with my turn signal on. Man, I'll be so pissed if they'll send me a ticket. I can always dispute it but it's such a hassle.

Months ago, I was flashed for running a yellow light. When I approached the crosswalk line, the light turned yellow and it was too late for me to stop, so I went through the yellow light, and it turned red when I was already passed the other half of the intersection, yet it flashed. I disputed it and paid a small fine. This was the only time until now.

Now, I got flashed again, for making a legal right turn. There are these cameras all over the city now and sometimes they go off unfairly. I'm thinking of buying a spray or cover to deflect the flash, making the license plate invisible to the cameras. Has anyone tried this?

I hate these cameras! I appreciate that they enforce traffic laws but sometimes they can go off unfairly. I'm not one to run red lights and such, but unfair incidents can happen.

What do y'all think?
If you were turning right on a red light, and didn't stop prior to making the turn, what you did is illegal. You have to come to a complete stop.

If you were already stopped then you were perfectly legal and they shouldn't give you a ticket (unless there is a sign that says "no right turn on red light").
Old 11-23-2007, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by CG,Nov 23 2007, 10:02 AM
New Orleans recently got a few cameras and issued 13,000 tickets in the 1st three weeks. They say it's not about the money.
One of the towns here that put in red light cameras is pulling them out in several locations because revenue is down. Safety is us.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to my friend; you didn't get flashed for going through the red, you got caught because you didn't stop before making the turn
Old 11-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would like them to put those damn cameras in my town.
People here run reds so blatently it makes me sick.
One of these days someone is going to not wait at their own green light and get plastered by someone speeding to get through a red.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got flashed once beating a red light but never got a letter.

I watched in some show that if you exceed certain speed, the camera isn't able to catch you... well obviously that's some real high speed. But I agree that these cameras are definitely annoying cockroaches. Cameras are too dumb to recognize what's really illegal.

Quick Reply: Photo-enforced lights!