Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Photo-enforced lights!

Old 11-22-2007, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Photo-enforced lights!

Just last night, I was at a red light about to make a right turn from the closest lane, which is perfectly legal, suddenly I saw a flash. I think the camera flashed me, thinking I was running a red light when I was turning right with my turn signal on. Man, I'll be so pissed if they'll send me a ticket. I can always dispute it but it's such a hassle.

Months ago, I was flashed for running a yellow light. When I approached the crosswalk line, the light turned yellow and it was too late for me to stop, so I went through the yellow light, and it turned red when I was already passed the other half of the intersection, yet it flashed. I disputed it and paid a small fine. This was the only time until now.

Now, I got flashed again, for making a legal right turn. There are these cameras all over the city now and sometimes they go off unfairly. I'm thinking of buying a spray or cover to deflect the flash, making the license plate invisible to the cameras. Has anyone tried this?

I hate these cameras! I appreciate that they enforce traffic laws but sometimes they can go off unfairly. I'm not one to run red lights and such, but unfair incidents can happen.

What do y'all think?
Old 11-22-2007, 05:38 PM

My way of getting them back is flipping them off while im on my bike with my plate flipped up since they run video.

Other than that blow them up or something.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:50 PM

Not an expert on these, but I think the way they have them set up around here you have to go through both the sensors on red to get a fine. The fines here are civil as the red light cameras cannot be used for criminal prosecution. If you stopped and made a right or had a right turn arrow, I would take a run at fighting it. They had some problems in San Diego with the cameras not being set up properly.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:53 PM

You can get some clear spray on paint that covers your license plate from pictures.

They sell them on the back of motor trends and magazines like that.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Slithr,Nov 22 2007, 08:50 PM
Not an expert on these, but I think the way they have them set up around here you have to go through both the sensors on red to get a fine. The fines here are civil as the red light cameras cannot be used for criminal prosecution. If you stopped and made a right or had a right turn arrow, I would take a run at fighting it. They had some problems in San Diego with the cameras not being set up properly.
no expert here either

i was sitting in the middle of the intersection waiting to make my left hand turn and a fleet of cars ran the red and left me out to dry. i made my turn and the camera flashed. i didn't receive a ticket, but maybe that was because of the video evidence as mentioned earlier.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:30 PM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

They did a Mythbusters episode on different ways to avoid the cameras and none of them work, especially the "spray on" ones.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:56 PM

get yourself a 3M privacy filter (for laptops), cut it to shape, and cover your plate w/ it.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dombey,Nov 22 2007, 10:56 PM
get yourself a 3M privacy filter (for laptops), cut it to shape, and cover your plate w/ it.
Awesome idea!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by dombey,Nov 22 2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks! Maybe I'll give that a try, when I know what it is.

Yes, I was making a legal right turn and then "FLASH!".
Old 11-22-2007, 09:18 PM

Get some white cardboard and cut it to the size of the license plate. Use color markers to make it look about like your state plate. Then put the numbers of your local newspaper editor's car on the plate. Or any pro camera people/famous people from your area. Doubleside sticky tape it over your plate then go run some red lights from that right turn lane.

Really, don't do anything illegal. But it would be fun to rent the same car they have and do the plate thing to mess with someone. Speed cameras would be the best.

The thing about these cameras is the company who owns them puts them in for a percentage of the ticket money. Then the city has to make sure the yellow light has a short duration. The longer yellow lights do not force enough redlight violators to give the company or the city a decent income.

Quick Reply: Photo-enforced lights!