Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Paul Walker - R.I.P.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP paul walker...seemed like a decent cat.

I'm shocked that F&F series ever got people interested in cars. The movies were entertaining, but not even sort of realistic. A lot of the cars in them were pretty dumb too.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Originally Posted by Ryuu' timestamp='1386336502' post='22910198
idk, seen jay leno drive... more like a tea toddler then a street racer... two different personality types to be compared in this... certainly he owns some monster machines.. he has the money for it.. however... I do not see him as the trashing the car out sort... in where as Paul... I can't even imagine him not street racing... huge difference... huge....

merely going by information they have provided us with.. i'd have to say the driver was as qualified as anyone else, who had owned or driven this particular car.. more so then almost anyone we've read here who has never driven one... and between the two in the car, the driver may have had the more experience behind the wheel... not withstanding accidents do happen... Peace be the Journey
LOL

He drives like a Baby made out of tea? Ill let you use google to see that even if spelled correctly it still isnt the word you want.
i'm sorry dude,, I came here to pay respect to Paul Walker, not be ridiculed for my extreme poor knowledge ( a special thanks goes out to a friend who informed me the difference ).. you should resign from being a moderator maybe, if all your going to add to a respect page for people talking about cars an movies an stuff is to ridiclue.. cause negative bad waves are not cool nor how I imagine S2KI should be represented by someone who holds position of a moderator.. respects and Peace be your journey..

Old 12-06-2013, 07:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

To the guy mentioning the physics behind that scenario; it would be very hard to tell

One would need to know,:

The poles diameter, condition (density of that specific wood, accounted with natural decomposition), also supporting factors would need to be known (i.e. was the pole reinforced. Even with all these parameters this would tell us the minimum force required to displace the pole, meaning that the actual impact velocity could have been significantly higher.

Would need to use extensive calculus involving the deformation of the car/displacement of pole.

A better way would be to look at the skidmarks (if there were any) or pull the CGT blackbox and see the force of impact.

Im not a physics major but it was one of my most favorite classes along with orgo.

RIP Mr. Walker
Old 12-09-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k
To the guy mentioning the physics behind that scenario; it would be very hard to tell

One would need to know,:

The poles diameter, condition (density of that specific wood, accounted with natural decomposition), also supporting factors would need to be known (i.e. was the pole reinforced. Even with all these parameters this would tell us the minimum force required to displace the pole, meaning that the actual impact velocity could have been significantly higher.

Would need to use extensive calculus involving the deformation of the car/displacement of pole.

A better way would be to look at the skidmarks (if there were any) or pull the CGT blackbox and see the force of impact.

Im not a physics major but it was one of my most favorite classes along with orgo.

RIP Mr. Walker

False
Old 12-09-2013, 04:57 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k

I heard on TV they were going to look at the black box... I didn't know cars had those.... ?
Old 12-10-2013, 04:20 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot
Originally Posted by EastS2k' timestamp='1386392394' post='22911611

I heard on TV they were going to look at the black box... I didn't know cars had those.... ?
Some cars do - they started appearing in 2006 or so. I think the 06+ S2000 has one that records the last few seconds of car telemetry. Other cars, like the GTR, record everything including GPS long term.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:22 AM

yup, black boxes are mandatory nowadays, CGT has an extensive one that can give a pretty accurate picture of what actually transpired;

i.e., were the brakes applied and for how long? did any of the wheels go into a kinetic skid etc etc etc, all the way up to impact G. I hope it survived that flame though.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:23 AM

yup, black boxes are mandatory nowadays, CGT has an extensive one that can give a pretty accurate picture of what actually transpired;

i.e., were the brakes applied and for how long? did any of the wheels go into a kinetic skid etc etc etc, all the way up to impact G. I hope it survived that flame though.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Technically speaking, all OBDII cars have some degree of information stored in their ECUs. I work at a law firm that litigates a lot of commercial vehicle accident cases and even with low-tech 18-wheeler ECUs you can get a small snapshot of engine load, RPM, and a few other parameters which let you determine the speed the truck was traveling, even though they don't, specifically speaking, have devices for the purpose of accident recreation.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:47 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Black Boxes, AKA Electronic Data Recorders (EDRs) are NOT mandatory on vehicles in the US. Most German vehicles don't have them (thankfully).

Quick Reply: Paul Walker - R.I.P.