Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Paul Walker - R.I.P.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Crash video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCol...e_gdata_player
Old 12-05-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

This video shows the light pole and trees getting taken out (you can't see the car, just the top of the trees and pole across a barrier):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymSb4wutnIo

It looks like that three and pole went down hard. I'm no expert but I suspect those who are could calculate the amount of force it takes to drop the pole and have a enough momentum to still lay waste to the tree, and then, based on the mass of the car, determine the speed that they would have had to have been going to impart such a force.

By the looks of it, my guess is that they were going pretty darn fast.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

idk, seen jay leno drive... more like a tea toddler then a street racer... two different personality types to be compared in this... certainly he owns some monster machines.. he has the money for it.. however... I do not see him as the trashing the car out sort... in where as Paul... I can't even imagine him not street racing... huge difference... huge....

merely going by information they have provided us with.. i'd have to say the driver was as qualified as anyone else, who had owned or driven this particular car.. more so then almost anyone we've read here who has never driven one... and between the two in the car, the driver may have had the more experience behind the wheel... not withstanding accidents do happen... Peace be the Journey

Old 12-06-2013, 05:22 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by berny2435' timestamp='1386049089' post='22904595
...I can relate to Paul Walker b/c of the movies, the cars, the racing and I know he was a good guy....
No you can't. You just think you can, because you saw some movies and confused them for real life.

The man died because a shop owner exercised no judgement or skill, with predictable results. Yeah, I've read that "someone pulled out," but they were in a clearly populated area. Can't blame other people when you die hoisted on your own petard.

Sounds like Mr. Walker was simply the passenger to fatal idiocy. But he certainly embraced the pseudo-lifestyle portrayed in the F&F movies.

I've driven well above triple digits on public roads, but I only did it far from population centers, on isoalated highways with no side roads. The very fact I've done something arguably dumb entitles/enables me to spot/call out egregiously stupid behavior when I see it. Everything about the circumstances of Paul Walkers death point to the driver's disregard for reality, because he was obviously ignorant of basic physics and vehicle behavior, completely ignoring the safety of passersby.

At what point does a passenger have a responsibility to speak up? If they had killed a pedestrian, wouldn't that at least impact the shop as well as Mr. Walker?

Paul Walker made a number of movies, and the F&F series was easily the garbage in his career. I thought he was a rather good actor if you ignored that series. Not that he was a bad actor in those movies but the writing, the movies themselves, were just lowest common demoninator film making. If you feel he was "taken too soon" try talking about movies not revolving around irresponsible driving.

Jay Leno has numerous cars and motorcylces, many of which will easily kill you during minor lapses of judgement. The man seems to be aware of such, and is still alive. I guess I'd point to him as a popular, visible example of someone who clearly understands the attraction with respect to the very real hazards of the enthusiasm.
Funny that you mention Jay Leno, as he came pretty close himself to dying behind the wheel of his own CGT.

This whole situation and the way that people have criticized Paul Walker has actually hit somewhat close to home for me. Just last month I was out one night and ran into a buddy that had recently acquired a lightly modded 996 Turbo. This guy is a certified Porsche instructor and I've gone out on rides with him before in his previous cars (911's). Well he gave me quite the thrill ride with a bit of sliding around turns and topping out around 120 on one side road (speed limit 35 mph). And this part of town, while not exactly busy, was within eye shot of one small university and drunk walking distance of another. Was it a fun ride? Sure. When I got in his car did I have any idea he was going to go that fast? Heck no. What was I supposed to do to get him to not do that, yell at him (and distract him) when he's going 100+? Probably not a wise idea.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by berny2435' timestamp='1386049089' post='22904595
...I can relate to Paul Walker b/c of the movies, the cars, the racing and I know he was a good guy....
No you can't. You just think you can, because you saw some movies and confused them for real life.

The man died because a shop owner exercised no judgement or skill, with predictable results. Yeah, I've read that "someone pulled out," but they were in a clearly populated area. Can't blame other people when you die hoisted on your own petard.

Sounds like Mr. Walker was simply the passenger to fatal idiocy. But he certainly embraced the pseudo-lifestyle portrayed in the F&F movies.

I've driven well above triple digits on public roads, but I only did it far from population centers, on isoalated highways with no side roads. The very fact I've done something arguably dumb entitles/enables me to spot/call out egregiously stupid behavior when I see it. Everything about the circumstances of Paul Walkers death point to the driver's disregard for reality, because he was obviously ignorant of basic physics and vehicle behavior, completely ignoring the safety of passersby.

At what point does a passenger have a responsibility to speak up? If they had killed a pedestrian, wouldn't that at least impact the shop as well as Mr. Walker?

Paul Walker made a number of movies, and the F&F series was easily the garbage in his career. I thought he was a rather good actor if you ignored that series. Not that he was a bad actor in those movies but the writing, the movies themselves, were just lowest common demoninator film making. If you feel he was "taken too soon" try talking about movies not revolving around irresponsible driving.

Jay Leno has numerous cars and motorcylces, many of which will easily kill you during minor lapses of judgement. The man seems to be aware of such, and is still alive. I guess I'd point to him as a popular, visible example of someone who clearly understands the attraction with respect to the very real hazards of the enthusiasm.
This guy
telling people how they can and can't relate. Superiority complex or something?

I can't relate to a car guy with car guy lifestyle with car guy wants, needs, passion, family, girlfriend yelling at your for working on your car and buying parts... . loving the open road and a good drive, street racing(which PW has done), working on cars, racing/HPDE/TT/Autocross.. . yeah, I can't relate

you are right
you are right
you are right

keep telling yourself that.

Albert Eistein's definition of Insanity
"Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results"
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...ins133991.html

Old 12-06-2013, 06:33 AM

come on folks, relax... we all relate.. that's what society does... good, bad or indifferent.... look.. we're all here.. cause.. we relate.. via.. the Honda S2000....how each feels or expresses themselves may not be taken by others in a manner which others see or like even or respect.. however.. look around, we're all in the same boat.. enjoy... it is not worth getting jack jawed... two guys were out having fun.. I suspect.. both did not IMO expect any of this.. oddly I feel.. hindsight is always more clear.. however.. it isn't.. cause we weren't in the car, when two buddies said, "punch it".. or.. "oh chit"... or... whatever the last words were...
Old 12-06-2013, 06:34 AM

Received 416 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryuu
idk, seen jay leno drive... more like a tea toddler then a street racer... two different personality types to be compared in this... certainly he owns some monster machines.. he has the money for it.. however... I do not see him as the trashing the car out sort... in where as Paul... I can't even imagine him not street racing... huge difference... huge....

merely going by information they have provided us with.. i'd have to say the driver was as qualified as anyone else, who had owned or driven this particular car.. more so then almost anyone we've read here who has never driven one... and between the two in the car, the driver may have had the more experience behind the wheel... not withstanding accidents do happen... Peace be the Journey
LOL

He drives like a Baby made out of tea? Ill let you use google to see that even if spelled correctly it still isnt the word you want.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 AM

if you ever see the original gumball rally.. there were these two old like English gentlemen in an old mercedes 300sl, http://en.wikipedia...._Pat_O%27Malley the other man doesn't have a wiki page but he was... Vaugn Taylor as Andy McAllister (Mercedes-Benz 300SL.. they were cast as tea toddlers.. spelling is optional...

ps.. and I have great respect for J and his garage.. esp his S 600 restore..

pss.. the Gumball Rally... http://en.wikipedia....e_Gumball_Rally
Old 12-06-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by berny2435
This guy
telling people how they can and can't relate. Superiority complex or something?

I can't relate to a car guy with car guy lifestyle with car guy wants, needs, passion, family, girlfriend yelling at your for working on your car and buying parts... . loving the open road and a good drive, street racing(which PW has done), working on cars, racing/HPDE/TT/Autocross.. . yeah, I can't relate
Not to speak for nun, because he's a case on his own.

I think it's the issue with people who never met him or know nothing of his life beyond the Fast and Furious movies (which were laughably and arguably horrible, horrible movies). People were, and still are, talking about how they knew him, but they only met briefly. It seems a bit forced. Like people trying to take some of the limelight for themselves, because they have nothing better to do than feed off of someone's tragic death. People kept introducing themselves into a tragedy that didn't involve them, Because Attention Whore.
A perfect example is the guy who did an interview on Entertainment Tonight who met Paul Walker the day of the accident, and made it seem like they were friends for years.

You're not grieving until you tell everyone about it, it seems.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand your points... But... His reply post to mine is about as immature as telling someone they can't get emotional when someone in their hometown, that u've never met but some of your good friends have, dies of a fiery death. Or can't cry during a movie... . many do. u need to get over yourself if u feel u have to post about how people should feel based on your perception of their life based on very limited information shared on internet posts.

I'd say the following is a top 3 mistake people make in communication.
1) telling yourself a story based on assumptions over facts.

I've been to the corporate classes, worked for 3 big companies and seen it in action. The above is one of the top conflict starters in the workplace.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply: Paul Walker - R.I.P.