Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Paul Walker - R.I.P.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIP Paul. Paul Walker aka "The Buster" largely inspired the newest generation of the car community to get into cars in the first place. To this day, if you ask myself, or any of the people in my closely knit car family, how they got involved or inspired to become part of the auto community, they will say because of The Fast and Furious. My best friend and his girlfriend both have S2000s BECAUSE he fell in love with them after the first movie as a kid. Needless to say, Paul was the main character in the movies and a huge part of the auto community and he will be sorely missed. The auto community lost an icon and I will surely be cruising for The Buster.

Race in Paradise Paul.

Roger Rodas is lesser known but was also a staple in the car community. CEO of AE Performance (Always Evolving Performance), he was Paul's close friend and financial adviser. They met because of their love for cars and Rodas was actually a Pro Racer, known for racing Porsche Cup Cars. He stepped into the new 2013 Ford Racing Boss 302S Mustang this year for Pirelli World Challenge. In his previous season of racing in the Pirelli Driver's Cup Series, Roger took two first place finishes, six podiums, and second place over all. No stranger to Mustangs, Roger's personal collection of cars consists of a wide assortment of limited production Saleen and Shelby Mustangs.

Race in Paradise Roger.

Not sure why so many people are knocking Roger. Has everyone lost respect for the dead? Yes he made a mistake, but regardless of the ignorance of some in this thread, he was a very accomplished racer, and was not racing anyone.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Inside Paul Walker’s Garage

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/look-ins...190008850.html
Old 12-02-2013, 03:59 PM

RIP Busta. You started in a movie that got me into cars!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:15 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteflash

If these were 2 19 year old kids speeding infront of an auto meet in a Civic we'd be ripping them apart as a bunch of ricers. Two middle aged white dudes do it in a Porsche CGT and there's multiple threads of grieving.

The saddest part is the children that will be left fatherless over a WOT pull infront of an auto shop.
That was really my point. The children here that lost fathers are the victims.

And you're right, 2 19 year olds and there would be screams about bad choices and getting what they had coming.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:18 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Syn
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1385913941' post='22902150
So it seems the two people were driving far too fast for the streets. Based on the appearance of the impact they were going very fast.

Am I the only one who feels if you're going to drive like this on the street you get what's coming? These guys are wealthy enough to hit the track whenever they want. It's not sad to me that he or his driver are dead. It's lucky they didn't kill someone else in the process. He left a 15 year old daughter behind who now won't have a father. Imagine how tough her life is going to be as she goes from being a little girl to a woman without a father figure to guide her.

Seems to me bad choices will have a ripple effect on their families.

Too fast, too furious, kaboom.
I think you're being awfully flippant. Your first sentence as a standalone thought is entirely valid, but we don't know enough details about this particular case to start assigning blame.

I won't argue that the easy assumption to make is that they were just being stupid in a supercar on public streets--in which case I entirely agree with you--but we'll never know exactly what was going on inside the car leading up to the wreck. Maybe Paul Walker would have protested if he had time to react (i.e. the driver just decided to floor it and within a couple of seconds the crash occurred).
Maybe. I've lost a bunch of people in my life over the last little while. Wreckelss behavior has a price. Not down playing the deaths but while I typed this there were several people who died. From lack of food. :

So when millionaires racing half mill cars die being stupid I don't get sad. I am sad that there are people who will die and you won't even know their names or care.

Life is short.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
And you're right, 2 19 year olds and there would be screams about bad choices and getting what they had coming.
Y'know, I think we wouldn't be saying anything at all about two 19 year olds, because we would never have heard of the incident, because they'd just be among the ~100 that die every day in auto accidents.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:38 PM

It's just the facts of life.
People on TV are known, people walking the rat race aren't. Doesn't ever make them more or less of a good person. I can't relate to the 40 year old guy that died the other day from getting t-boned by a drunk person in Alabama or somewhere else. But I can relate to my friend (29 at the time), who would have been here, on this very day, if the driver of the car he was in didn't answer a text while driving and slammed into a Parked RV on the highway. 3 others died in the car as well and one lived. Not that many people heard about it outside the state of Iowa. I don't blame them for not knowing nor the media for blowing it up. RIP Gavin. VTL RB

I can relate to Paul Walker b/c of the movies, the cars, the racing and I know he was a good guy. I have a friend that lives in Santa Barbara and he's met him and so has some of his friends who all have nothing but good things to say about him. I was really hoping I'd run into him some day. I was just in Santa Barbara the weekend before last actually wondering if I'd see him out. He didn't let the fame get to him, people say. He had a blast living life the way I would have if I was in his shoes. Fast movies, fast cars, fast racing, good family.

We all have our stories. Just keep on making more and better stories the best you can.

Live and Learn.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by berny2435
It's just the facts of life.
People on TV are known, people walking the rat race aren't. Doesn't ever make them more or less of a good person. I can't relate to the 40 year old guy that died the other day from getting t-boned by a drunk person in Alabama or somewhere else. But I can relate to my friend (29 at the time), who would have been here, on this very day, if the driver of the car he was in didn't answer a text while driving and slammed into a Parked RV on the highway. 3 others died in the car as well and one lived. Not that many people heard about it outside the state of Iowa. I don't blame them for not knowing nor the media for blowing it up. RIP Gavin. VTL RB

I can relate to Paul Walker b/c of the movies, the cars, the racing and I know he was a good guy. I have a friend that lives in Santa Barbara and he's met him and so has some of his friends who all have nothing but good things to say about him. I was really hoping I'd run into him some day. I was just in Santa Barbara the weekend before last actually wondering if I'd see him out. He didn't let the fame get to him, people say. He had a blast living life the way I would have if I was in his shoes. Fast movies, fast cars, fast racing, good family.

We all have our stories. Just keep on making more and better stories the best you can.

Live and Learn.

Yes well said.
His fans just connect to him via his movies, interviews.. etc
They feel as if they know him. So they will mourn and be sad/bummed out about it. Not because his life is more important than someone else.
I grew up watching the F&F movies (Was 11yrs old and its what got me into cars.)
Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

^^very very well said.

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
Nice collection! Though seriously, was that article written by a 10 year old? Who does Yahoo have working for them these days? Horrible grammar and several inaccurate statements. 600 hp Porsche GT3 RS...um, what?
Old 12-04-2013, 08:09 AM

There were some other Porsches in the garage as shown on http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2012/v...e-performance/

The GT3s he points out could have been mistaken for GT2s. I think Paul Also owned a 911 GT2 which is a RWD turbo beast that can easily be modified to 600hp. he mentioned one in a video where he Tour's the Mines shop in Japan.

Quick Reply: Paul Walker - R.I.P.