Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Overreacting to gas prices

Old 07-03-2008, 07:05 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I don't think most people cross shop an Escalade and Outback Turbo. As you said, to each their own. My boss is a fairly big guy, so he likes the spaciousness of the Escalade.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jul 3 2008, 06:26 AM
I totally understand your point, but for me at only 8,000 miles per year, I would have to own the Titan for 25 years to see 200,000 miles, and that ain't going to happen...

As I say, it's all about the number of miles an individual puts on their vehicle in a year.
ya, but I can
Old 07-03-2008, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=y2ks2k,Jul 3 2008, 10:54 AM] ya, but I can
Old 07-03-2008, 08:10 AM

I understand your point, but most people don't have the disposable income that we have. I was talking to a guy the other day who said that he had to wait 2 hours at the barbershop because his barber couldnt' find gas money! Most people were already living check to check, and cant afford a an extra $80-150 month
Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jul 3 2008, 09:33 AM
At 15,000 miles/year, it's an extra $4k/yr to drive a 12mpg SUV over a 34mpg Fit.

So, the question is whether your pride is worth $4k to roll around in a midget Fit instead of a Cadillac Escalade. I'd personally pay the $4k/yr.
it depends on how much money someone makes. gas prices are not going to stop raising.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellow2001,Jul 3 2008, 11:20 AM
gas prices are not going to stop raising.
It's funny you should say that, and BTW I totally agree with you. However, I'm blown away by the number of people who are living in a dream world and are 100% convinced of the fact that gas prices will be coming down sometime.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jul 3 2008, 10:38 AM
It's funny you should say that, and BTW I totally agree with you. However, I'm blown away by the number of people who are living in a dream world and are 100% convinced of the fact that gas prices will be coming down sometime.
If you listen to the language used by the Suadi's and other oil producing countries you can tell that they are more than happy to keep the price inflated and have no interest in "helping" bring it down. And why should they? They just found out they can double the price of thier product and see very little drop in demand.

The'd be suckers to let the price drop at all and smart to see how high they can push it without hitting a tipping point.

I am going to dislocate my shoulder patting myself on the back, but I had predicted the crap out of this in threads for the last two years. And people who were posting "I don't care how much gas goes to I am still driving my XXXX" or it does not matter how much gas goes to, people will still buy SUV's in droves" are changing what they think overnight.

I don't know that gas will hit the $7 forecasts that have been in the news by next summer, but I would put money on $5 gas next year. And if $4 a gallon is not breaking some people, $5 will break a lot of those who are left. A relative is a $50,000 a year carpenter who hauls a topper load of tools to home building sites that are generally 60-100 mile round trips every day. His Silverado is killing him but can't unload it. And its his only car. Funny thing is, he could get a little closed trailer and haul what he needs every day hooked up to just about any car, but that is not "manly" in his circle of tradespeople who judge each other by the truck they drive. I bet it becomes more of the norm among trades people quickly.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rev9K27,Jun 26 2008, 11:05 AM
Perhaps people should NOT finance the total price of the vehicle.
A good down payment goes a long way.

Or ... here's an idea ... pay cash for a slightly used vehicle.
You guys are making me feel awful about financing the s.....

The monthly+insurance is well within my capability, but you guys make it seem horrifying to do such a thing. It is my first real big purchase in my lease on life and is helping me establish a good credit history at 22. I over pay monthlys to take down my principle and pay off early, and I dont always see financing as a bad thing if you can handle it. Is it really that bad? Am I being naive?
Old 07-03-2008, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by geminimech,Jul 3 2008, 04:59 PM
....I over pay monthlys to take down my principle and pay off early, and I dont always see financing as a bad thing if you can handle it. Is it really that bad? Am I being naive?
You may want to find out about your car loan.

Almost all car loans are compound interest, not simple interest.

So paying off early is hardly going to save any money... maybe a few hundred bucks and that is it.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:16 PM

Well its not about saving money really, that is not the goal of me overpaying. I have a hard figure that has to be paid no matter what, interest included, so by paying off early I'm only helping myself by establishing the fact that I can pay for something both timely and responsibly, correct? I mean realistically, is paying outright the only way to buy a car to you fellas? Is this just stupid of me to finance the vehicle?

Should i just pay off what I owe in interest and push the car off and call it a loss? I still don't see how I am at a disadvantage by paying off a loan.

Essentially, I'm on my own, I don't feel comfortable purchasing a house yet, I am still able to save a good amount of money, so why not invest it into something I know I will love, take care of and appreciate?

Quick Reply: Overreacting to gas prices