Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The Other "Sport" Cars

Old 07-13-2003, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Other "Sport" Cars

first post....
how do you guys feel about cars that have no buisness being "re-modeled" to be sports cars, like a cavalier or in my opinion most four door sedans (accord-jetta-lincoln LS). It is my thought that these cars have been made for one reason and people in the streets change them to become something they never could become which is a true sports car. Springs/shocks, brakes, Air intakes and even throwing on a blower will not make these cars (in my opinion) sports cars, justs more sporty versions of thier former selves. I dont know it just bothers me to see 5 or 6 sports cars (miata, vette, stang, s2k) in a row and then a golf with a blower on it (although that is soo pimp) i dont think it should be in that group seeing how its the same car my friend delivers pizza with.
flame away, I guess my question is "where the line is drawn between sports car and 'sporty-car'"
Old 07-13-2003, 09:01 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well as we've seen with the STi, EVO, and even the regular WRX and the Focus SVT, econo cars can be done well as sporty cars. On a higher level the M5 and the previous gen M3 (sedan) perform very well.

The problem is when people take a "stock" econo car and try to pimp it out. Usually it ends up being a joke. I can't think of anything as gay as bling 18" wheels on a Saturn or a cavalier with f-in DRUM brakes. I mean are these people retarded? Usually it's teen-age girls and I doubt they even know what disc brakes are in the first place. Next on the gay-meter is park bench rear wings and plastic (tupperware) side shirts. I what do they need these areo treatments for?

Basically For me with the exception of the SVT Focus, RSX, and one or two other cars, FWD and Sporty do not belong together. RWD is preferable, but AWD is fine as well.

It doesn't bother me to see pimped out Civics and Neons F&F style. I know they can be faster than my S2000 (stock) but I could care less. I'd rather have a pure sports car than a bling mobile any day.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is pretty much my thoughts exactly just didn't word it out all the way, I think the SVT Focus is dope, and the WRX, (especially the WRX-STI) is not the same car as the Subaru Legacy. Im also sure you could drop a ferrari engine in a Yugo with the proper fundage (new word) and it would destroy almost every car on the road, but its still a Yugo.