Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

OT: Civic Overheating Issue

Old 07-31-2008, 08:22 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

do not use a mechanic that thinks throwing parts at a car is fixing it.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:25 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by civicson234,Jul 31 2008, 09:45 AM
I had the same problem on my civic. It was a 95 DX hatchback. Changed my headgasket myself, and the problem went away. It would overheat at idle, fans would come on, id drive it and the temp would go back down. Only clue i had to a leaky headgasket was that i had to keep refilling my coolant. It was leaking outside, onto the block, behind my intake manifold, so i couldnt see it. The leak was letting air into the coolant system, which heatsup faster then liquid, causing it to overheat. To do the work, i used a haynes manual and basic tools at my house. Cost me about a grand total of $50.
How difficult was it and how long did it take?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea what's causing your overheating problems. At 140k miles, we had an overheating issue too. Did everything to fix it. Finally discovered it was a warped head. Hope yours is an easier fix. Good luck with it.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:03 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

also, i have owned numerous civics. the only thing i have ever had a problem with on any of my civics was the cooling system. interestingly enough, i have had cooling system problem on EVERY civic i have owned.

a good mechanic will have the tools to test for a blown head gasket. one method is an exhaust sniffer. they open the radiator cap and hold the sniffer over. if it "smells" exhaust then you have your answer. there is a lower tech version that uses some sort of a flask with little floating balls of varying density. something about, if there coolant is airated with exhaust that the green ball floats vs. the blue one, or something like that.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:14 PM

I have the car at a different mechanic now. They replicated the overheating but cannot diagnose the issue. They asked for another day with the car.

This suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I hate commuting in the s2k, just wasting milage sitting in traffic.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:18 PM

Just check the damn compression. You can do it yourself if you know how to change spark plugs. It's a 20$ tool and you can use it forever and check any used vehicle before you buy it.

First get the car warm but not hot.
a) Take out the spark plugs.
b) (optional) Pull fuse to fuel pump
c) Insert threaded compression tester in to 1st cylinder
d) Crank the motor [hold key like you are trying to start the car] for about 5 rotations or until the compression gauge peaks
e) Repeat for other 3 cylinders and you are done.

Civics are the easist cars in the world to do this on. Only 4 plugs and they are all right in front of you with nothing in the way.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i mentioned the compression test already. they even rent them at autozone
Old 08-01-2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jul 31 2008, 08:25 AM
How difficult was it and how long did it take?
It was moderatly difficult, but it was the first time i had ever done something that serious on a car before, so my opinion might be a bit biased. It took about 4 hours, but i wasnt trying to rush through it or set some kind of record. The only big thing i remeber being a problem was i took the cylinder head of with a bit too much enthusiasm and managed to get some coolant into the cylinders, wich was a pain to get all of it out(didnt feel like trying to compress a liquid and blowing a new headgasket, or something worse.) The only reason it was difficult getting the head off on my civic was that the previous owner had never changed it, and the car had 187,xxx miles on it when i changed it. If i had my laptop id upload the pictures for you. I might just do that once i get the chance.

Just another question, is your civic an auto or a manual? Mine was an auto and i accidentaly lossend the cable that goes from the throttle body to the transmission. It took me a while to try to get the tension on that cable correct again, wich was causing the tranny to shift really awkward.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:14 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

My friend's car is an automatic.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:41 PM

I actually used some pdf files that had the procedure for headgasket removal. I got them from the UK honda website(i was stationed in england at the time.) They had everyting including the torque values and procedures for the head bolts.

Quick Reply: OT: Civic Overheating Issue