Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Option magazine wheel test: weight vs. rigidity

Old 10-06-2008, 06:51 AM

Received 436 Likes on 306 Posts

So the lightweight wheel will show an obvious difference in acceleration on the street (according to the driver), well that decides it for me. In an engine with less torque I would guess the difference would be even more apparent.

I don't race, no tracks near me, and if I did it would be for fun and not to beat others because I am never going to be that good behind the wheel. So the four tenths of a second gained by the rigid wheel will not make up for the tiny extra grin factor of better acceleration.

Interesting read though. I would also venture a guess that the difference in rigidity become more apparent the wider wheel you go, and less apparent with narrower wheels.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brought to you by Enkei...
Old 10-06-2008, 09:42 AM

Curious comment about braking instability. I wouldn't expect much effect, lowering the nose very slightly, in a straight line. Maybe he means braking into a turn?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:01 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

When it comes to wheel rigidity. many tend to assume that production method (cast vs. forged) dictates the overall rigidity. In the case of technologically advanced manufactueres, this is not the case at all. Rigidity depends on the design of the wheel. Regardless of whether the wheel is cast or forged, if the same design and raw materials are used, the rigidity factor will be equal. Furthermore, the weight will not be affected neither. The majority of Enkei wheels are cast. Although, the generalized stereotype in the U.S. seems to be that forged is superior to cast, wheels such as the GTC-01 is equal or suprioer in strength to many other forged wheels out on the market due to Enkei's MAT technology. This MAT technology enables Enkei to produce wheels in which both strength and lightweight attributes can coexist in a balanced manner.
This is a bunch of baloney.

Ask any engineer if he will take a cast part over a forged part and they'll take forged every time, EVEN if the supposed material properties (strength, ductility, etc, etc) are exactly the same for both parts.

Why? Casting flaws are typically significantly higher in number and larger in size than flaws in forgings. Forgings will occasionally have pitting but most usually have cracks more than anything. Casting flaws can be on the surface but many are interior to the part. A cast part will not have the same rigidity as a forged part if they are dimensionally equal, mainly due to those flaws.

I don't care how you're casting a particular item - you'll NEVER have the strength of a forged wheel, period. Your material might theoretically be as strong but in real life, your casting flaws will require you to downgrade the strength of the material.

In my work, we can use a minimum safety factor of 3 for a forging. For a casting, we do a safety factor of 6 (minimum). In other words, we will allow stresses in a forged part to be 33% of the yield strength. In a cast part, it's half that (17%, roughly). That doesn't mean you can't make a strong, lightweight cast wheel, it just means that you've got to do an amazing job with the casting to keep it as light and strong as a forged wheel.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 436 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Oct 6 2008, 12:01 PM
In my work, we can use a minimum safety factor of 3 for a forging. For a casting, we do a safety factor of 6 (minimum). In other words, we will allow stresses in a forged part to be 33% of the yield strength. In a cast part, it's half that (17%, roughly). That doesn't mean you can't make a strong, lightweight cast wheel, it just means that you've got to do an amazing job with the casting to keep it as light and strong as a forged wheel.
Having no clue into the world of engineering, how would your safety tolerance vary in a low pressure cast and high pressure cast vary if at all?
Old 10-06-2008, 12:41 PM

JonBoy is correct, ask any engineer.....
Old 10-06-2008, 01:11 PM

Looks like an Enkei infomercial!
Old 10-06-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Oct 6 2008, 10:01 AM
This is a bunch of baloney.

Ask any engineer if he will take a cast part over a forged part and they'll take forged every time, EVEN if the supposed material properties (strength, ductility, etc, etc) are exactly the same for both parts.

Why? Casting flaws are typically significantly higher in number and larger in size than flaws in forgings. Forgings will occasionally have pitting but most usually have cracks more than anything. Casting flaws can be on the surface but many are interior to the part. A cast part will not have the same rigidity as a forged part if they are dimensionally equal, mainly due to those flaws.

I don't care how you're casting a particular item - you'll NEVER have the strength of a forged wheel, period. Your material might theoretically be as strong but in real life, your casting flaws will require you to downgrade the strength of the material.

got another question, maybe you know this too. but the article said the guy rubbed when going over some corners because the wheel was flexing that much. If a wheel bent so much it made the car rub would that wheel then be out of round and completely effed? would there be any difference in a forged vs cast wheel when it comes to tolerance in bending and returning to original shape?
Old 10-06-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So ... they measured rigidity by the lap time and the ever so accurate butt dyno?

What was the point of this again? Oh yeah, to sell heavy wheels. I'll take 2 sets then.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:36 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

[QUOTE=budgy,Oct 6 2008, 03:52 PM]got another question, maybe you know this too.

Quick Reply: Option magazine wheel test: weight vs. rigidity