Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

OnStar... actually useful.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris S,Oct 20 2009, 12:15 PM
OnStar is an OPTIONAL service that you get free for 12 months, but then have to pay for. Don't like it, don't subscribe!
This is true. However, the growing acceptance of such a technology, under the "good guy" guise, will have its effect later on.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ,Oct 20 2009, 09:25 AM
This is true. However, the growing acceptance of such a technology, under the "good guy" guise, will have its effect later on.
While I like Onstar and have it in my Vette and Yukon, I definitely see where you're coming from, BBoy AJ. With everything Congress is trying to do now, it is not a stretch to mandate EVERY car get this device to monitor driving activity and control illegal behavior, etc.. Then, the insurance companies will get access under the guise of good drivers getting better premiums, to prevent accidents, etc.

Congress did it already with anti-lock brakes, airbags, stability control.

Another thing you guys better get ready for is most cell phones having GPS already and cell phone makers being required to add software to disable features when moving beyond a certain speed (i.e. driving a car). Of course, it won't be able to differentiate between being a driver and passenger, so that may take a while.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ,Oct 20 2009, 08:15 AM
This is garbage.

I don't need Big Brother having the ability to control my vehicles. Yeah, it's cool it worked in this case and it's cool it can stop thieves. But how will you like it when something like OnStar limits your maximum speed on certain roads?

You all complained about the GTR voiding warranties when its GPS located you on a racetrack. Well, this is the same thing presented in a different manner. I don't need anyone looking over my shoulder 100% of the time.
Of course! It all makes sense now...

Obama wanted nothing more than to kill all of the old people and retards. It's all he dreamed about his entire life. But he knew that heavily-armed rednecks would throw a wrench in his evil plan. He struggled for months without forming a solid plan when suddenly it hit him.

All he had to do was go to Harvard law school, run for congress and get elected, then launch a successful presidential campaign whereby he would overcome racial boundaries and become the first black president while simultaneously crossing his fingers hoping that General Motors would go bankrupt so that he could use his evil powers to nationalize the company and use Onstar to immobilize any redneck opposition.

With every redneck in America locked helplessly in their SUVs, the elderly and mentally challenged amongst us were doomed to die at the hands of Obama's death panels.

...And he would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids and that pesky dog.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Oct 20 2009, 09:15 AM
OnStar is an OPTIONAL service that you get free for 12 months, but then have to pay for. Don't like it, don't subscribe!

I was happy to have it for the 1st year I owned my Avalanche, but didn't feel it was worth the monthly cost afterwards. I believe my M3 has something similar, but I haven't read up on it.
I think the scary part here is that even if you don't subscribe to the service, the technology is already in the car and could be used "against you" even if you aren't paying for it.

Personally, I think it was very cool in this situation. It saved people's lives AND the car from being damaged and the dude got his stuff back without much incident.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:08 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Just for the record, I am opposed to this type of technology. I don't fear it in a "ZOMG, the government is trying to get me!" kind of way. It's more like I would be concerned that Onstar would zap my shit on accident while I am going down a hill or around a corner, or that it could be used against me by thieves, or that a cop could ultimately use his own discretion to turn my car off.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ,Oct 20 2009, 09:25 AM
Reminds me of "V for Vendetta" for some reason..
Old 10-21-2009, 04:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Oct 20 2009, 02:08 PM
Just for the record, I am opposed to this type of technology. I don't fear it in a "ZOMG, the government is trying to get me!" kind of way. It's more like I would be concerned that Onstar would zap my shit on accident while I am going down a hill or around a corner, or that it could be used against me by thieves, or that a cop could ultimately use his own discretion to turn my car off.
I'd spend more time worrying about what you're going to do w/ your lottery winnings, b/c winning the lottery is more likely based on past experience w/ OnStar.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:04 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Oct 21 2009, 08:16 AM
I'd spend more time worrying about what you're going to do w/ your lottery winnings, b/c winning the lottery is more likely based on past experience w/ OnStar.
some of you guys have some far-fetched theories. Shit i thought GPmike was bad .

Congress already did it with anti-lock brakes, stability control, and airbags? are you kidding? How is any of that BAD things? for the general public it seems like thats all pretty goddamn useful. Oh and if you dont like any of that stuff you have aftermarket for a reason. you can always yank out most of what they put in or disable it.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ,Oct 20 2009, 08:15 AM
This is garbage.

I don't need Big Brother having the ability to control my vehicles. Yeah, it's cool it worked in this case and it's cool it can stop thieves. But how will you like it when something like OnStar limits your maximum speed on certain roads?

You all complained about the GTR voiding warranties when its GPS located you on a racetrack. Well, this is the same thing presented in a different manner. I don't need anyone looking over my shoulder 100% of the time.
I understand your concern.
However, there's no such functionality implemented into the system.
You guys should remember that OnStar functions are controlled by CDMA network.
That's air-time and it means $$ for OnStar.
They are NOT going to monitor your vehicle status the whole time by spending precious cellular traffic(=$$).

Vehicle disabling features and vehicle slow down features are only activated upon request of the law enforcement.
Of course that doesn't mean the system is fail-proof from hackers or viruses.
I don't know how secure their system is but I know how the module works, and I can assure you that it's not as bad as you guys think.

Dan
Old 10-21-2009, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Tahoe owner's cousin didn't get some of his money back. It was taken in as evidence.

Quick Reply: OnStar... actually useful.