Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

OK, Who's got a Mini Cooper?

Old 10-09-2002, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, Who's got a Mini Cooper?

I'm car-less at the moment, but will be probably be buying a car in the next two months. Since I'm just now getting a job out of grad school, and having just moved to Boston, I've come to the realization that I just can't get an S2000 at the moment right now. The wife and I have lots of bills and debts to take care of and it would be totally irresponsible for me to spend 32K on a car right now, especially a car that is nt completely winter-friendly. I figure I'll have to wait another two years to get an S....

So, I'm thinking $22K or less on a car would be reasonable. I guess I could go for something relatively cheap, but I also would like to own a car that I enjoy. Right now, I've got the Acura RSX, the WRX and the Mini in mind. Wife hates the WRX, plus she (we) already have a sedan (her Volvo s40). The RSX is cool, but to be honest, I'm not crazy about it. The Mini, on the other hand, looks great, and the reviews make it sound like even the non-supercharged version is a hoot to drive (plus the wife loves it. It's too bad she can't drive stick, cause there's no way in hell I'm getting auto if this is my only car!). I know the Mini is very different from the other cars, but there's just something about that little car that is great!

So, for those of you who own a mini, I would appreciate any comments, both positive and negative, about your experience with the Mini. Would you buy the Mini if you had to do it again? Any problems with the Mini thus far? Any comments about the other two vehicles in question? I know there are a lot of WRX fans around here, so I know I'll get a lot of nods for that car. Granted - great bang for the buck performance, not crazy about the looks.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:56 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I drove a 300+/- hp WRX a few days ago and it was sweet and very well set up. The mods on the car put it in the 40K range and with the upcoming changes likely I would wait before I even bought a current WRX. That's not to say it's not a great choice because it is.

I've driven several MINI's both Cooper's and Cooper S's and the cars are a blast to drive. I don't own one. There's a very good chance that I will buy one for my next daily driver and you can get a nice Cooper with the sport package for under 20K. It's a hell of a deal and your wife would want to learn to drive a stick it you get it. I think for the money it's the best overall bang for the buck at a fairly low price for a brand new car.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by CG
I will buy one for my next daily driver and you can get a nice Cooper with the sport package for under 20K. It's a hell of a deal and your wife would want to learn to drive a stick it you get it. I think for the money it's the best overall bang for the buck at a fairly low price for a brand new car.
First off, I don't own a Mini but, I went to check them out because my mom wanted a new car and the prices are about a $10K mark up . The base model which starts at $16K was for sale for $26,000; and the Mini S model was even more expensive.

They said the mark up was because it's in such high demand; and while thats understandable, i dont think you could find a NEW base model Mini for $16K
Old 10-09-2002, 12:43 PM

VA S2K owns one; I'll PM him the link to this thread...
Old 10-09-2002, 12:46 PM

I test drove the Cooper and Cooper S . . All in stock and selling for sticker in Morristown NJ.

Not impressed (for the $$$) (It is DAMN cool looking though)

My advise: I drove a 2002 Civic Si (sticker 19k) that was offered to my in the mid $16K range . . . DEALERS ARE DEALING!

Also, there are 2002 SVT Focus' left too!! Don't discount that car w/o a test drive.

Good luck.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:16 PM

Yes, I have owned a Cooper for the last 6 months/7300 miles and LOVE IT! In a nutshell, it's a blast to drive but could benefit from a little more ooomph. If you have any specific questions, post 'em here and I'll do my best to answer them.

I've had no problems whatsoever (1 recall performed for safety reasons) and the car is very solid. My car is Pure Silver/Black roof and has the following options: [b]Premium Package (dual-pane sunroof, cruise control, steering wheel-mounted stereo controls, climate control), 16" 5-star wheels, heated leather seats, leather steering wheel, foglamps, and

Things I DO like about it:
- Interior design
- Exterior design
- Very solid chassis
- Excellent ride and handling combo
- Great brakes
- High fuel economy
- Available options and accessories

Things I DON'T like about it:
- Standard seats don't have enough lateral support
- Car could use more power

I would have opted for the sport seats and the Xenon lights, but I opted to take one of the first cars...none of the ones at my dealer had the sport seats and the Xenons were delayed until the late summer.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:30 PM

I drove a Cooper S when I was looking for my new car. Yes, I cross shopped the S2000 and the Cooper S, among many others. They are both unbelievably fun cars, granted they are VERY different.

What I didn't like about the Cooper S:
Power - while it wasn't slow, I didn't get the sense of urgency that I wanted. There is a good aftermarket for these cars though, and since it's already supercharged, getting a few more horses out shouldn't be a big deal at all.
FWD - Personally, I really dislike the dynamics of front drivers. The Mini does drive better than every FWD car I've ever driven, save the CL Type-S 6 spd which has a nice LSD to help it out. It also doesn't torque steer thanks to it's equal length half shafts. But it's still a FWD car, and handles as such.
"Gimmiky" Interior - While the car is very well made, the interior seemed a little cheesy to me, but that's just my taste.
Hard to get - Depending on where you are, there's a significant waiting list for the car.

What I do like:
Regardless of eveything else, the car is fun, pure and simple. It doesn't take a lot of concentration to drive hard, and it practically begs to have the hand brake yanked and the rear flicked around. At the same time though, the car doesn't feel nervous. There's a lot of room inside, and the car is significantly bigger than its appearance conveys (but not in a bad way) - there's a huge amount of headroom, for one. It's also a great bargain, if you can find it for list price.

Your other options:
RSX - Why bother...go for the Mini. RSX is a good car, but I don't see any advantages over the Mini, though it's easier to get.
WRX - Great car, lots of fun, huge potential. 250 hp at the wheel is easy, and not too expensive. Great in the snow too...it's an enormous amount of fun to toss a well balanced AWD car around when the roads are less than ideal. Wait until the Evo comes out in January (or whenever it shows up) and you'll be able to get one really cheap.

Additional cars to consider:
Ford Focus SVT
Nissan Sentra SE-R spec V
Mazda MP 3/Mazdaspeed Protege
Honda Civic Si (my least favorite of these)
Old 10-09-2002, 01:43 PM

VA S2K,

I'm assuming this is your daily driver? Well, while we're at it, I wanted to ask you about a few things I would basically order the same car with the same options, but also include xenons and sport seats if at all possible, probably black with white roof.

Here are a few of the options I'm wondering about:

Worth it or not?
- Sunroof (read about lots of buffeting with this design of sunroof)?
-On-board computer? (aside from outside temp. doesn't seem that useful)
- multifunction steering wheel?
-front fog lamps?

Also, do you have the manual or the CVT transmission? How do you like it?

Also, did you get a chance to see a model with leatherette before buying yours with leather? I would prefer leather, but it's a $1000+ option. I was just asking because I have a friend who has a 325 with leatherette and it definitely fooled me. Looked pretty solid. I'm imagining this is the same material used on the minis.

This is really not that much of an issue, but how much space do you get in the back with the back seats folded down?

I'm going to see if I can schedule a test drive at my local dealership. I've heard pretty bad things about the Boston dealership (Herb Chambers), but the one in Peabody, Ma is supposed to have excellent customer service. It will be easier for me to get to HC for the test drive.

Thanks again!
Old 10-09-2002, 03:08 PM

So how does it compare to the s2000? Is it more fun to drive?
Old 10-09-2002, 04:29 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by jahwerx
My advise: I drove a 2002 Civic Si (sticker 19k) that was offered to my in the mid $16K range . . . DEALERS ARE DEALING!

Also, there are 2002 SVT Focus' left too!! Don't discount that car w/o a test drive.

Good luck.
Interesting and a good point. I drove the base Cooper, the Sentra SER Spec V, the Civic si and the SVT Focus all about the same time. The Cooper was slower in a straight line but would have been my first choice because it was so much fun to drive. The SVT would be my 2nd choice, and I'm not sure about 3rd and 4th. The Civic had a great shifter and I hated the "no-feel" clutch but the car just wasn't all that fun to drive. I do like the Cooper S even better and the car is faster than it feels.

To answer 2001_S2000's question. It's not more fun to drive than an S2000 but it's still a blast. It's different and it's a great handling FWD car. It's what Honda could have made the CRX into. Shame on Honda for letting someone else do it.

Quick Reply: OK, Who's got a Mini Cooper?