Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Oil Prices

Old 09-15-2008, 08:01 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Oil Prices

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12400801/

I have to admit that it is somewhat surprising, I mean I knew that it wouldn't hit 200 anytime soon without the help of inflation like a lot of folks on these boards were speculating, and I knew that the real price for oil is below 100/barrel, but I really didn't think that it'd happen so soon if at all. With Ike not taking out all the refineries, perhaps all the speculators finally lost their last shred of hope for retiring early on people's fears.
But the media will always try and paint a picture of apocalypse with liehman brothers, AIG, etc but it just goes to show you may not want to invest in that backyard 400 barrel oil silo just yet. B of A looking good though...
On other news, alternative energy stocks took a hit.
Anyway, I remember this being a topic of heated discussion in the past, just thought it'd be nice to revisit without having to reopen an old thread so new folks can give their input. C'mon 2.xx/gallon gas! (doubtful, but a guy can hope right?).
Old 09-15-2008, 08:11 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Well, I always stated oil prices were going to drop, and here we are at sub $100 a barrel oil. Its probably overcorrected from being overpriced, but still, its a far cry from $200.

This is also the price after 2 major hurricanes in the Gulf, political unrest in Nigeria, Venezuela and Iraq, Russia threatening the Ukraine pipeline, and India, Brazil and China continuing to grow and subsidize the price of gasoline.

Gas went over $100/barrel in early January 08 - its back under $100 but we're still paying 25% more than in Jan, more with the recent spike due to the ridiculous run on gas this past weekend.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was SO MUCH gloom and doom everywhere (incl this board) - everone said confident things like "it's never going back down" and "$200 oil is going to be here next week, and it'll be here to stay" - goes to show you why 99.99% of people don't trade oil for a living.

If anything, I think we're seeing a new day in the oil industry. I the oil companies will be as careful as possible to keep supply available because the US and the rest of the world did a pretty respectable job of changing their habits and buying a pantload of priuses as soon as gas started cramping their budget.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Sep 15 2008, 08:11 AM
Well, I always stated oil prices were going to drop, and here we are at sub $100 a barrel oil. Its probably overcorrected from being overpriced, but still, its a far cry from $200.

This is also the price after 2 major hurricanes in the Gulf, political unrest in Nigeria, Venezuela and Iraq, Russia threatening the Ukraine pipeline, and India, Brazil and China continuing to grow and subsidize the price of gasoline.

Gas went over $100/barrel in early January 08 - its back under $100 but we're still paying 25% more than in Jan, more with the recent spike due to the ridiculous run on gas this past weekend.
Yup, yeah I doubt we'll see the gas prices of yore because these past several months taught us anything, it taught us that gas prices are fairly inelastic until you start hitting 4.xx range. It'll take a bit of time for it to creep down a bit with gas stations undercutting each other, but I'm sure they're in no particular rush since most will try and gain back some better ROI after dealing with the anemic margins they had for a while.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Probably. Gas was ~$2.70 in January when it hit $100/barrel. Now its ~$94/barrel but gas is around $3.70 due to the "Chicken Little" effect on gas due to Ike, and it will be slow to fall.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Well, I might be one of those gloom sayers you were talking about but I was never stating quite the way you frame it.

I always though oil was overpriced when it was $144 a barrel, and that it would come down, even significantly.

But everything points to an upward trend from here. Saki points that most of the oil is produced in powder keg regions. Production cuts are not out of the question. And demand is going up globally.

I will eat my shirt if we ever get below $2.50 a gallon again and even prices below $3 would surprise me because everybody in the chain has figured out they can charge at least $3 and everybody thinks thats great compared to what it was.

I am just talking out of my butt because I am no energy analyst (even though I did stay at a holiday inn express) but I think people should hedge their bets a little.

Its seems that most of the people who can afford to have a second toy car in the garage can afford gas when it spikes, but there are wayyyyy to many morons who have no wiggle room in their budgets and were sold a bill of goods when they bought some 15mpg Explorer.

I guess what I am saying is people who profit from oil now have a pretty good sense of how much they can gouge us and will continue to do so whenever possible, and it will be a commodity in tightening supply. You don't need to hunker down in a cement bunker, but you should have your eyes open when you chose what to drive and how far you live from work if yearly spikes to $4 and even $5 gas will break you.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by vader1,Sep 15 2008, 08:33 AM
Well, I might be one of those gloom sayers you were talking about but I was never stating quite the way you frame it.

I always though oil was overpriced when it was $144 a barrel, and that it would come down, even significantly.

But everything points to an upward trend from here. Saki points that most of the oil is produced in powder keg regions. Production cuts are not out of the question. And demand is going up globally.

I will eat my shirt if we ever get below $2.50 a gallon again and even prices below $3 would surprise me because everybody in the chain has figured out they can charge at least $3 and everybody thinks thats great compared to what it was.

I am just talking out of my butt because I am no energy analyst (even though I did stay at a holiday inn express) but I think people should hedge their bets a little.

Its seems that most of the people who can afford to have a second toy car in the garage can afford gas when it spikes, but there are wayyyyy to many morons who have no wiggle room in their budgets and were sold a bill of goods when they bought some 15mpg Explorer.

I guess what I am saying is people who profit from oil now have a pretty good sense of how much they can gouge us and will continue to do so whenever possible, and it will be a commodity in tightening supply. You don't need to hunker down in a cement bunker, but you should have your eyes open when you chose what to drive and how far you live from work if yearly spikes to $4 and even $5 gas will break you.
Hmm, dunno if you were or weren't, but I agree with you now.
As much as I believed (and now confirmed) that oil prices were artificially inflated, I doubt you'll be eating your shirt anytime soon unless gas stations really get competitive.
Saki, it all does make sense that it should get back down to 2.xx, but I just don't know if it will, but I do envision a noticeable downward trend in gas prices. Around here, premium is finally below 4 bucks .
Old 09-15-2008, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Florida set up a hotline to inform the Governor of gas price gouging, gotta love the system

Hopefully this will keep the crooks in check.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Banned

Alternative fuels!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:40 PM

Hind sight sure is 20/20. I expect oil to consolidate around 80 [sort of trade oil for a living but not in futures, only through equities TSO/ATW/DO/OIH/RIG/NOV etc.], a good hedge would be EEV to give you some margin of error [my strategy]. There is more upside to downside, it's just a matter of timing.