Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Oh Look, all you Genesis Coupe Naysayers! ;)

Old 02-27-2009, 10:58 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GinoGT,Feb 27 2009, 02:42 PM
The only reason RWD is viewed as a detriment is because there's a staggering number of people on the road that are functionally retarded. If you can't handle RWD in rain or snow you shouldn't be driving.
Yeah, if you CAN'T handle RWD in rain or snow you're an idiot, but that doesn't mean FWD isn't BETTER.

FWD also has a number of packaging, cost, and efficiency benefits.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Feb 27 2009, 11:33 AM
Apparently there's a forum rule that every car must have a the champion to tirelessly defend it against any slight, real or imagined. The GT-R has a guy whose name I've forgotten because I've got him blocked, the FD RX-7 has that ZX-11 guy, whose name I'm forgetting because I've got him blocked, and now the Genesis has xxForged-something, whose name I'm likewise forgetting because I've got him blocked too.

I'm imagining these guys at home in front of their keyboards, faces turning purple, blood vessels in their necks throbbing, whenever anyone casually mentions that they like a car that's 0.1 seconds slower in the quarter mile or that makes 5 less horses than the Chosen One.

so many posts on car talk don't show up for me... and i think the quality keeps improving the more i use the ignore button.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Feb 27 2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah, if you CAN'T handle RWD in rain or snow you're an idiot, but that doesn't mean FWD isn't BETTER.

FWD also has a number of packaging, cost, and efficiency benefits.
in my experience tires make wayyyyy more difference than drive wheels. plus they help with braking and turning, not just acceleration.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=thebig33tuna,Feb 27 2009, 03:01 PM] in my experience tires make wayyyyy more difference than drive wheels.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Feb 27 2009, 11:49 AM
To clarify:
RSX was pulled out because only an idiot would buy one, when for less money you could get more content in the newer Civic. An Acura with no Navi and a Civic with Navi. Like many people with their mortgages, Acura got upside down with the RSX...

Base RSX went for about 20K which was about the same price as the EP3 which it basically was drivetrain wise. The Type S went for 22-24K, about a little more than the current SI with or without navi, plus you get leather with that. Their strong resale value sorta tells you about their popularity with their intended audience. The RSX was never intended to sell in the quantities of the civic, but was to serve as the entry level Acura. Lexus had the IS, BMW had the 3 series, Infiniti had the G35, and Audi had the A4, all of which outclassed the RSX as entry level luxury cars. So Honda brought in the TSX which stickers for 29+ which isn't based on the civic platform (or the accord platform apparently...), dropped the RSX, and brought in the current SI which stickers for about 21K now.
Honda essentialy eliminated all forms of sales cannibalism and strengthened their marketing approach, something the domestics should learn from.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Feb 27 2009, 03:08 PM
Yeah, but do you know any non-enthusiasts (ie, that kind of people who would avoid RWD) that change tires seasonally, or based on usage? Cuz I don't. People look at me like I'm crazy when I explain why my car has different colored wheels every 6 months (black = winter, stock= summer) because I swap on snow tires.

Face it, people just don't want to deal with this stuff. So they go buy FWD (or 4/AWD) and all-seasons, and want it to work. They heard RWD wasn't any good in the snow, so they don't buy it. I'm not saying they're right or wrong, I'm just saying what they do, and why RWD isn't a big selling point outside the tiny enthusiast market.
i agree completely - i have had numerous conversations with people about this exact issue.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DFWs2k,Feb 27 2009, 11:22 AM
Isn't toyota still doing that RWD coupe thing with subaru? or was that put on hold? Should be less than $30k and way more classy than the hyundai, lol...
I think Toyota's plans for that have been scrapped for now. It sounds like Honda is still going forward with the CR-Z, but that's not targeted to compete with these 2dr sport coupes.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by diabolus2k,Feb 27 2009, 01:44 PM
I think Toyota's plans for that have been scrapped for now. It sounds like Honda is still going forward with the CR-Z, but that's not targeted to compete with these 2dr sport coupes.
it's only pushed back to 2011(?)
Old 02-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vik2000,Feb 27 2009, 02:14 PM
I missed the old title. Someone pm me
Go to the bathroom....drop a duece...call it by name, and say its real.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:30 PM

Any RWD car in the modern era has stability control that largely eliminates the old "FWD is safer" argument. In any event, 4WD is so much better than either that no one should be shopping FWD based on weather. The reality is that honda and toyota both pursue agressive cost-controls in every aspect of their vehicles, and FWD is cheaper, end of story.

Quick Reply: Oh Look, all you Genesis Coupe Naysayers! ;)