Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Oh Look, all you Genesis Coupe Naysayers! ;)

Old 02-27-2009, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, check out the dyno.... the Hyundai's torque curve blows the Inifiti's out of the water at the low end (2000-3000rpms). Nice to have when you're just loafing around town.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:21 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Feb 27 2009, 11:59 AM
I'm still very impressed with the Genesis Coupe (and Sedan) as a first-try at a RWD platform from Hyundai. These cars will be a huge hit and probably the cars that will "make" Hyundai a true competitor.
Maybe maybe not. Traditionally, 2+2 sport coupes/hatchbacks haven't been huge sellers, and they chase very fickle buyers (young 18-35 y/o single people) who are always moving onto the next great thing. True, the Genesis coupe is RWD, and that means a lot to a lot of enthuiasts, but to the general public as a whole it's at best a push (they don't know or care about the difference) and at worse a detriment (RWD's crappy reputation in snow/ice/rain.)

It may be that the Genesis coupe breaks open the coupe market for Hyundai, but it's been a long time since that segment was a high-visability one as far as total market. If Hyundai really wants to rule the world, the way to do it is through family sedans and compact/midsized crossovers (and apparently their entries in these segments are pretty good.) Having the top $25-30k sports coupe is nice and fun, but doesn't translate to huge sales and influence. Just ask Acura (RSX dead) Toyota (Celica dead) and Honda (Prelude dead.)
Old 02-27-2009, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could totally DD a G37
I wouldnt be cought dead in a Hyundai.

This is just how I feel no need to hate me, or get butthurt over it..
Old 02-27-2009, 08:39 AM

Haters? You mean people who don't agree to everything you say?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:43 AM

^ probably
"damn freewill"

Old 02-27-2009, 09:09 AM

Nice comparison. I love the FLAT torque curve of the Genesis, and the interior looks pretty nice as well. Not a fan of the "drivetrain protection" feature they have (it really kills the car's 0-60 and 1/4 mile times), but I'm sure there will be a few tuner companies offering solutions for that.

Whether you like the car or not, Hyundai is gonna sell a ton of these, and it's going to put more pressure on companies like Nissan, Honda, and Toyota to produce something even better. In a few years, I have a feeling that the Hyundai stigma will be gone and they will be synonymous with their Japanese counterparts. Competition is always a good thing in this industry
Old 02-27-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by diabolus2k,Feb 27 2009, 01:09 PM
Whether you like the car or not, Hyundai is gonna sell a ton of these, and it's going to put more pressure on companies like Nissan, Honda, and Toyota to produce something even better.
They may sell a bunch, but I seriously doubt it's going to make Honda and Toyota say oh sh--, we need to go build a RWD coupe. H/T got out of the sports coupe game years ago, killing some VERY successful nameplates (Integra/RSX/Prelude and Celica) and don't seem to be too concerned by it. You guys are wildly overestimating the significance of sports coupes. Hell, Ford's had the Mustang for decades, made a buncha money on it, and that hasn't enticed H/T into the fight. How is this Hyundai any different?
Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by wickerbill,Feb 27 2009, 10:31 AM
So have the hyundai smack talkers just organized or have they been laying in wait, frustrated the past 20 years hoping they could start talking some smack?
Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Feb 27 2009, 08:33 AM
Apparently there's a forum rule that every car must have a the champion to tirelessly defend it against any slight, real or imagined. The GT-R has a guy whose name I've forgotten because I've got him blocked, the FD RX-7 has that ZX-11 guy, whose name I'm forgetting because I've got him blocked, and now the Genesis has xxForged-something, whose name I'm likewise forgetting because I've got him blocked too.

I'm imagining these guys at home in front of their keyboards, faces turning purple, blood vessels in their necks throbbing, whenever anyone casually mentions that they like a car that's 0.1 seconds slower in the quarter mile or that makes 5 less horses than the Chosen One.
If they were smart they'd get hired to do this work. Many companies these days have teams of people promoting their online presence in social networking and message boards. In this case, they're just fanboys.

ITR #203
Hey, xxForgedxx, I thought the VQ37 only made 258 hp at the wheels, what happened here? Seems like your in a Catch 22 - either the beloved Genesis makes way less than the advertised 306 or the VQ37 makes more than your willing to admit. Just goes to show that 2 different dynos on 2 different days can rarely be accurately compared.

Just as a note, the G37 won nearly every category - only to be beat out via price. The Genesis seems like a nice car, but to say that its better than the G37 is to say that the 370z is better than the Cayman S cause Car and Driver said it was better considering price, despite losing almost every category as well.
Some people will say anything to try to win. Maybe he's a politician? McForged?
Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Feb 27 2009, 10:18 AM
They may sell a bunch, but I seriously doubt it's going to make Honda and Toyota say oh sh--, we need to go build a RWD coupe. H/T got out of the sports coupe game years ago, killing some VERY successful nameplates (Integra/RSX/Prelude and Celica) and don't seem to be too concerned by it. You guys are wildly overestimating the significance of sports coupes. Hell, Ford's had the Mustang for decades, made a buncha money on it, and that hasn't enticed H/T into the fight. How is this Hyundai any different?
Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I would love to see H and T re-enter the $30k sports coupe market again in a couple of years. It's hard to imagine Hyundai and Nissan being the only options to choose from...

Quick Reply: Oh Look, all you Genesis Coupe Naysayers! ;)