Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The Often Addressed S2000 Replacement

Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I think I'd go with the Infinitis over the BMWs.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

04-05 valve guide issues?

Having a issue with valve guides on a F22 doesn't make them all prone to that same issue. I would be much more inclined to think the shop that diagnosed the problem and did the work, either misdiagnosed a problem and caught the mistake but still charged for the work, or it was an isolated issue that developed for other reasons. A mechanical over rev situation can bend a valve on a f22 rather then crack a retainer on a f20, because of the beefier f22 retainers, that bent valve will obviously rapidly wear the guide, but that's better then dropping the valve from a failed retainer.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments. My plan is to not drive the S2000 this week to even see if I can bring myself to part with her. I'm not sure if I want a change of pace completely or what just yet.

Originally Posted by berny2435
Trust me when I say this, you do not want a R32 AWD. way too heavy front end. pushmatic

After reflecting on the list of cars and potential candidates, I really felt like the R32 was the car for me. I've done some mild reading on them so far and there has been very little about heavy front end and a lot of praise about the "go-kart handling" (nothing like I'm used to with the S2000, I'm sure).

Are you able to describe more in depth your stance on the car?
Old 04-30-2013, 04:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

R32 is a great all around car - it's just not very comparable if you want to get something as similar to the s2000 as possible.

Unless you are tracking the car, you won't care much about it having a heavier front end. If I wanted an autox car, then the s2000/e36 etc. would be more palatable. To me, having AWD in the rain was awesome, didn't have to think about losing the rear end on the highway if I had to do an emergency maneuver. DD'ing the r32 was also a very nice change.

What you've posted so far says you just want a replacement vehicle - not that you want something as close to an s2000 as possible. In that case - R32 would be fine.
It's AWD,
decent power (s2000 is faster in a straight line)
the interior is very nice, sporty & heated seats, dimmer rearview mirror, nice materials etc.
If you don't like the headunit you can easily get a double DIN replacement, you can also use the newer OEM VW nav units that are very nice and go in pretty easily
It's still a Golf but pretty unique. I had the blue one and really liked that color.
The exhaust note is awesome, i had stock and a Miltek and both sounded great.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:56 AM

E39 540i ticks all of the boxes. Close enough to 300hp, plenty of torque, sedan, nice features, and way below budget. These things can be found under $10k easily. My only advice would be to find a 97-98 model rather than the updated version that has a few more problems. I've personally driven the 540i sport and I absolutely loved it. Perfect DD while still being fast enough and sporty enough. V8 Powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 04-30-2013, 06:37 AM

I'm not a VW R32 expert and it's far from a go-cart like handling. Anyone that would describe it as that must have came from a Z24 Chevy cavalier or something. Sure you can put stiff springs on it but that does not equal go-cart.

VW R32 has all the handeling issues a FWD does but slightly less. It weighs upwards of 3400lbs too!!! The AWD system is not as good as it should be as it tries to act primarily as a FWD car with like 10% to the rear. More power is not transferred to the rear until the front tires start slipping. It's more technical than that but its not like WRX or EVOs that have a full time torque split. The newer Golf R is better in that regard once you turn off the traction control, that it keeps the rear end engaged more often but it is still lacking. Full throttle Dyno graphs here show a lot more power staying to the rear when all tires are gripping. More of a 60/450split. http://www.hpamotorsport.com/haldex.htm

For AutoX, I've repeatedly put the beat stick down on a guy local that has one with my past 2008 Civic Si and less mods, crappy drop springs. Better off with a E46 5spd 330i

245s are must on the car. Good luck fitting anything over a 255 that tucks under the fenders.

You can however modify the Haldex system for $1,000+ to get more power to the rears. Probably a worth while upgrade over typical bolt-ons if you are going to Track it. For AutoX, the mod would put you into a class meant for tube frame race cars most likely.
http://www.hpamotorsport.com/haldex.htm
Old 04-30-2013, 06:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ All good points.

The R32 is not a go-kart. A quick google shows the curb weight over 3500 and you can tell, especially coming from the s2000.
If we were talking about autocross, and if I went from owning an s2000 to an R32, i probably wouldn't have much interest in autox'ing the R32. It's sporty but nowhere near the s2000. Personally if went from s2000 to R32 I'd pick up a cheap miata as a dedicated autox car because I think it'd be more fun than the R32.

And like Berny said, the AWD system is FWD-based, sending torque to the rear wheels when needed. You can upgrade the Haldex system and people on VWVortex say it feels great. You won't feel the torque steer on the road but I didn't track mine so I can't comment on a track situation. Also, the R32 v6 doesn't have much room to bump up the power, similar to the s2000. You won't get too much more out of it and going FI is pretty expensive since the engine bay is really cramped. Got an exhaust and like the s2000 it was mostly for the sound, there wasn't really a difference in power.

Regardless, like i've mentioned: great car, not comparable to the s2000.

Also - I had mine for about 12k miles, zero issues with it, just got oil changes and regular maint.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by niick
Engine:
1.~<300+ Horsepower
2.~<250+ Torque

Translated

1. Approximately less than 300 or more Horsepower
2. Approximately less than 250 or more Torque
Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by berny2435
I'm not a VW R32 expert and it's far from a go-cart like handling. Anyone that would describe it as that must have came from a Z24 Chevy cavalier or something. Sure you can put stiff springs on it but that does not equal go-cart.

VW R32 has all the handeling issues a FWD does but slightly less. It weighs upwards of 3400lbs too!!! The AWD system is not as good as it should be as it tries to act primarily as a FWD car with like 10% to the rear. More power is not transferred to the rear until the front tires start slipping. It's more technical than that but its not like WRX or EVOs that have a full time torque split. The newer Golf R is better in that regard once you turn off the traction control, that it keeps the rear end engaged more often but it is still lacking. Full throttle Dyno graphs here show a lot more power staying to the rear when all tires are gripping. More of a 60/450split. http://www.hpamotorsport.com/haldex.htm

For AutoX, I've repeatedly put the beat stick down on a guy local that has one with my past 2008 Civic Si and less mods, crappy drop springs. Better off with a E46 5spd 330i

245s are must on the car. Good luck fitting anything over a 255 that tucks under the fenders.

You can however modify the Haldex system for $1,000+ to get more power to the rears. Probably a worth while upgrade over typical bolt-ons if you are going to Track it. For AutoX, the mod would put you into a class meant for tube frame race cars most likely.
http://www.hpamotorsport.com/haldex.htm
Good links and good little summary. I'll assume the "go-kart" remarks are from those who haven't had seat time in something more to the likings of the S2000.

I really didn't intend to have the car act as a dedicated track car. Either a DD or if I could get a great price, I would actually love to couple it with a first gen Miata. I'm currently driving my Mom's Miata around while taking a leave from the S2K and I really LOVE the car. She has a first year model Miata, the thing is by no means fast but it's a fun little ride. The clutch play is great for daily driving and the gearing is close enough that it's like a S2000 Jr. Really a fun ride, if it had the 1.8l motor instead of the 1.6l I think it would really set it off for me.

Originally Posted by suprmonky73
^ All good points.

The R32 is not a go-kart. A quick google shows the curb weight over 3500 and you can tell, especially coming from the s2000.
If we were talking about autocross, and if I went from owning an s2000 to an R32, i probably wouldn't have much interest in autox'ing the R32. It's sporty but nowhere near the s2000. Personally if went from s2000 to R32 I'd pick up a cheap miata as a dedicated autox car because I think it'd be more fun than the R32.

And like Berny said, the AWD system is FWD-based, sending torque to the rear wheels when needed. You can upgrade the Haldex system and people on VWVortex say it feels great. You won't feel the torque steer on the road but I didn't track mine so I can't comment on a track situation. Also, the R32 v6 doesn't have much room to bump up the power, similar to the s2000. You won't get too much more out of it and going FI is pretty expensive since the engine bay is really cramped. Got an exhaust and like the s2000 it was mostly for the sound, there wasn't really a difference in power.

Regardless, like i've mentioned: great car, not comparable to the s2000.

Also - I had mine for about 12k miles, zero issues with it, just got oil changes and regular maint.
My above reply pretty much addresses a lot of what you brought up as well hahaha.

I really should have done more research on the torque split rather than assuming it was to the liken of the WRX/Evo, the FWD oriented AWD is really a bummer.

My goal with the S2000 replacement car is ideally a 4 door sedan (biggest downfall for me on the R32 was the lacking 4 doors) with a noticeable more lavish interior (heated seats/double din cd player/I'm not sure what else off the top of my head) that has a healthy aftermarket support and of the sport car mentality. After searching I realize that the only suitable options are really out of my budget if I wanted to snag a good quality ride.

As of now, if I do decide to sell, I think a STi is the car I'll pursue. I'm undecided if I'd rather a wagon or sedan in respect to Subarus, it wasn't part of the original plan. The Subaru isn't as interior oriented of a car as I had planned on getting so I'll probably change the plans up a bit if I go this route. I think if I do decide to purchase one, I'll look into the '05 model because it is the first year of 5x114 wheels and will probably be a great addition later down the road. But, that remains to be decided.

Originally Posted by urBan_dK
Originally Posted by niick' timestamp='1367125306' post='22504426
Engine:
1.~<300+ Horsepower
2.~<250+ Torque

Translated

1. Approximately less than 300 or more Horsepower
2. Approximately less than 250 or more Torque

Ah, darn you caught my slip up. When I was typing it out, I had the mentality it would be read as:

"Around or greater than 300 hp and around or greater than 250 tq"

But I definitely slipped on my symbols hah.

Thanks for all the comments thus far guys, again really
Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by dat boi
Also, I've owned my S2000 for almost 6 years but I never felt the lack of torque that everyone talks crap about, the gearing is well done and the transmission is magical in terms of feel.
I think its often a perception thing. At the top end an S2000 is very quick. Towards the lower end of the rev range it is adequate, but because expectation has been raised by the amazing top end, some think of engines like this as gutless or devoid of torque. I suppose they are when viewed against a larger capacity engine making similar peak power but against similar sized engines this is not so.

Quick Reply: The Often Addressed S2000 Replacement