Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The Often Addressed S2000 Replacement

Old 04-27-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Often Addressed S2000 Replacement

I think I have all the suitable candidates listed and I think I've skimmed enough previous topics but, I wanted to make sure I chalked up all my options.

Ideally my replacement would include most of the following criteria in order by preference:

Body Type:
1.Sedan
2.Coupe
3.Hatchback

Drivetrain:
1.RWD/AWD
2.Not FWD
*Never owned an AWD vehicle

Engine:
1.~<300+ Horsepower
2.~<250+ Torque
3.NA/Turbo (no huge preference)
*Never owned a Forced Induction vehicle

Interior:
1.More lavish than the S2000
2.Backseat
-If I'm being picky
3.Space for a Double Din CD Player
4.Heated Seats
*I've never owned a luxury vehicle and have no specific wants based on past 'must have' features, just an improvement in comfort and the like.

Vehicles that seem to fit the bill in at least a majority of the criteria seem to be:

-BMW M3 e36
-BMW M3 e46
-Infiniti G35
-Infiniti G37
-Lexus IS300
-Lexus IS350
-Mini Cooper S
-Mitsubishi Evo
-Subaru WRX STi
-Volkswagen R32

My price range is around $15,000 and am hoping for less than 75,000 miles but I'm aware that isn't reasonable on some of the above listed for my price range.

I think I managed to get a majority of the noteworthy vehicles that fit my bill. In the above list I think I lean more towards a mashup between the STi, R32, and e46.

The STi seems to be the most power oriented
The e46 seems to be the most lavish and contain the most amenities
The R32 seems to be the mid ground

My main question is am I missing any obvious omissions from my list?
Old 04-28-2013, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E36 will be about the closest to what you're used to in terms of reliability, performance, etc. Wont be as easy to find but...thats part of the game IMO.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:36 AM

Only S2000 replacements I can think of are Exige, Boxster, Elise or Cayman.

Mini Cooper is a drastic downgrade.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 AM

I think I found a s2000 replacement. Jag F-Type. Now if only I made of money.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
E36 will be about the closest to what you're used to in terms of reliability, performance, etc. Wont be as easy to find but...thats part of the game IMO.
Agreed. e36 would be my choice.
I've posted this before but it's a good resource for e36's. They are not cheap but before you buy they are completely vetted and all weak points on the car are addressed before it's even for sale: either replacing with fresh OEM parts or upgrading said part with top quality replacement pieces due to OEM design being "poor". I'd consider getting one of these.

http://www.enthusiastauto.com/

Sold my first AP1 for a 2008 R32. Loved it, but not enough to replace an s2000. Sold it after 5 months to buy another s2000.... had it for 2.5 years now. R32 would be excellent as a complement to the s2000 if you can afford to have 2 cars.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

E36 or E46 out of all of those for S2000 replacement, however owning an E36 and an S2000 side by side, the Bimmer isn't much of a replacement at all. My take on both cars side by side:

I have to say without a doubt the S2000 is more fun to drive. As great as the M3 is, it's more of a GT compared to the S2000.

S2000 Pros:
Better transmission feel than the M3, more direct.
More visceral driving experience - The car doesn't feel as "rubbery" as the M3.
Convertible - Let your hair flow through that wind lol
Low maintenance - Oil changes are about 40 dollars, trans/diff fluid is another 20 dollars.
Better history of reliability - depends on previous owner though.
Better gas mileage - 23 to 25 mpg combined (highest was 28 to 30 mpg on a trip to California and back) M3 got about 20 mpg.
8 to 9,000 RPM - Depends on year, but it's a great feeling to rev that high.
Engine loves boost - great flowing head, forged internals, FRM sleeves.
2006+ can use Hondata Flashpro to tune so all emission components stay intact, OBD port still communicates and car has no problems passing emissions.
Great community - The car is geared towards a very specific audience, which all enjoy driving.

S2000 Cons:
Lack of comfort - 3 to 4 hours max until I have to pull over and stretch.
Not many creature comforts - Almost all S2000s come with AC, a weak radio, cruise control, and that's about it (less things to go wrong perhaps)
Lack of steering feel - Feels like you're playing GT5 with a Logitech wheel, however, the chassis makes up for the feel.
2000MY S2000s didn't have good oil squirters, but they can be upgraded.
2000-2001 had plastic rear windows - can be changed.
2004-2005 had valve guide issues - I had this problem with my car when I first got it but no issues since it was upgraded (this was an 800 dollar job, only major issue thus far with 80k + miles)
Car doesn't like hard launches too much, though if you keep up with maintenance, you should be okay. There are a few people in town running 500+ whp on stock transmission and diff, some on stock engine as well.
Timing Chain Tensioner gets noisy/can go out - 100 to 200 dollar fix IIRC.

Minor details that matter:
Big red Engine start button that isn't just touch and go - You feel the car fire up.
Power folding soft top - Yes it's faster than the old Z4's top, yes they start ripping due to the design of the soft top frame.
Radio has a cover so you can drive top down while it's raining outside - If it's downpour, don't do it, but if it's just light sprinkles then it's a blast.
No traction control until 2006 - It's just you and the car.
"Lively" handling - I had less seat time in the M3 but I could push it to the limits further than I could push my S2000. I was always slightly afraid of the S2000, but the M3 was very easy to drive and compliant, almost boring even, almost.
11 gallon tank - about 250 miles per tank on average, 280-300 if it's all highway.
2004+ cruise 75 mph at 4000 rpm in 6th gear - Still manages 28+ mpg all highway.
2004+ transmissions and diffs are slightly upgraded with carbon syncros and bigger diff housing.
It's a strange yet amazing feeling wanting to shift because your body is telling you to, but holding out for 9k rpm because you know the car will take it.

S2000s don't have too many major problems regarding the engine or drivetrain if it's been maintained correctly, you shouldn't have many problems with the car at all. Make sure to check the soft tops for any rips or tears and the transmission for any grinds etc. It all depends on what you look for in a car, if you need a comfy daily driver, the M3 wins hands down. But if you're looking to tear up canyon roads and do some track days without tampering with the car much (suspension/bushings/etc) then S2000 all day or night. Also, I've owned my S2000 for almost 6 years but I never felt the lack of torque that everyone talks crap about, the gearing is well done and the transmission is magical in terms of feel.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:53 AM

I'm currently gearing up for a switch as well. Getting the s2k ready to sell and parting out everything. Freeing up some cash by selling my very expensive Titus El Guapo MTn bike.

I'm considering
The irrational
04' c5Z06 - I think I could get over the interior. If I don't like it, resale on the 04 is great.
2010 Vette Grand Sport (reason = might as well b/c it has all the goodies and will have tip tip resale)
2008+ cayman S - these cars are so nice and are razor sharp like the S but better DD. Look like a pita to work on. Weird that the motor is basically in the car's cabin. Basically the type of car you sort of leave alone and don't do too much too. Not sure I can do that.

The sensible options
2014 Golf R - suppose to cut 200lbs from and add 20-40hp to the current version. Will eat a STi me thinks and have a way better interior. VW golf owners have a cult following, resale will be great
2014 Subaru STi - back seat and I hope the 14' is a lot better than previous years and at minimum 150lbs lighter.
2014 Subaru BRZ Sti - I hope the hype is true, lighter and more power with better brakes - easy change from the s2k.
95-99 M3 - 2 or 4 door, must have under 100K or all the right service records and the quirks worked out. If you can stomach removing some things, these cars can be put into the 2800lb range for track pretty easy (retain AC). who needs back seats anyways

I'm leaning towards a clean E36 M3 right now. I need to free up some more cash and find the perfect one for me. There are some nice ones out there but you have to pay for'em too.

I'm not really considering a E46 M3 due to maintenance costs and the clean 05-06 models still command a bit too much money for me to get a 20K+ loan on that old of a car. No warranty = I'd rather have a slower BRZ if I want a coupe. I don't have baller money to hamper a E46 when it breaks.

Trust me when I say this, you do not want a R32 AWD. way too heavy front end. pushmatic

If you can find the right EVO 8 or 9, awesome maintenance with 1-2 owner, it would be a nice S2000 replacement I think. I've allways wanted one but AZ heat and the fact most all of them are beat to shit, I never pulled the trigger. Not cheap to maintain but slightly better than a E46 M3 with track consumables. you can go hog wild on mods that can get you in trouble.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by berny2435
Trust me when I say this, you do not want a R32 AWD. way too heavy front end. pushmatic
I can attest to that - basically FWD but rear wheels kick in under slip, but like i said it's a better DD but not a replacement if you want something similar to an s2000.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 AM

Also consider E46 330i 5 or 6spd cars. They are basically a e36 m3 with small refinements and don't loose as much weight with track prep.

The zhp 6spd cars can produce e36 m3 HP numbers and get better gas mileage. Oddly they have similar quirks/problems. They r rare though and command premium dollars but far cheaper to maintain.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-29-2013, 02:09 PM

Vehicles that seem to fit the bill in at least a majority of the criteria seem to be:

-BMW M3 e36
-BMW M3 e46
-Infiniti G35
-Infiniti G37
-Lexus IS300
-Lexus IS350
-Mini Cooper S
-Mitsubishi Evo
-Subaru WRX STi
-Volkswagen R32

My price range is around $15,000 and am hoping for less than 75,000 miles but I'm aware that isn't reasonable on some of the above listed for my price range.

to OP, but your price range and list there, i don't think you'll get many hits. unless a 2 generation old M3 E36? but reliability may be spotty.

with my recent search, if you can increase price to around $20-25k, a whole world of options opens up, including many on your list.

good luck

Quick Reply: The Often Addressed S2000 Replacement