Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Odyssey woes

Old 01-22-2007, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odyssey woes

I cannot believe the crappy luck I've had with my 04 Odyssey. Tranny failed with 23000 miles on the car.

Dealer replaces tranny. (Under warranty)

I pick up car, tranny fails after 5 more miles.

I have been a Honda "guy" since I bought my very first car (86 CRX). Nothing like this has ever happened.

I know the Odyssey's have some tranny issues but this is ridiculous.

Need to vent
Old 01-22-2007, 08:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Yadis,Jan 23 2007, 12:25 AM
I cannot believe the crappy luck I've had with my 04 Odyssey. Tranny failed with 23000 miles on the car.

Dealer replaces tranny. (Under warranty)

I pick up car, tranny fails after 5 more miles.

I have been a Honda "guy" since I bought my very first car (86 CRX). Nothing like this has ever happened.

I know the Odyssey's have some tranny issues but this is ridiculous.

Need to vent
5 miles? Sounds like either an installation screw-up, or a tranny that was (refurbed?) not right to begin with.

Sorry about that man, that sucks.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:20 AM

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

The OdyClub Forums are full of such hard luck stories:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/

I'm thinking of trying the Odyssey after many years of Chrysler minivan ownership, but still have concerns about the Ody as a long term replacement.

Brian
Old 01-23-2007, 08:03 AM

That's just horrible. I hope that Honda does what is right and fixes it for you with no questions asked.

Sorry for your woes.

I hope that Honda and Toyota (who has also had their share of quality issues lately) aren't taking the same attitude that the American car manufacturers did in the '60s and '70s and letting quality slip while they rest on their laurels.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by sca037,Jan 23 2007, 08:20 AM
The OdyClub Forums are full of such hard luck stories:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/

I'm thinking of trying the Odyssey after many years of Chrysler minivan ownership, but still have concerns about the Ody as a long term replacement.

Brian
I've posted my story on ODYCLUB. I've seen the amount of transmission troubles on that site but not too many complaints below 50000 miles. I have a friend and a relative who had their Odyssey trannies fail too but only learned this after purchasing mine.

So this is just crappy luck I guess. Not necessarily a horrible vehicle.

I have to say that the second time it failed, the service manager at the dealership was on his toes. He personally delivered a courtesy car to my house a half hour after calling him.

IMO being level headed got me better results than flipping out.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:33 AM

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Yadis,Jan 23 2007, 12:25 PM
I've posted my story on ODYCLUB. I've seen the amount of transmission troubles on that site but not too many complaints below 50000 miles. I have a friend and a relative who had their Odyssey trannies fail too but only learned this after purchasing mine.

So this is just crappy luck I guess. Not necessarily a horrible vehicle.

I have to say that the second time it failed, the service manager at the dealership was on his toes. He personally delivered a courtesy car to my house a half hour after calling him.

IMO being level headed got me better results than flipping out.
Glad to hear that they're at least stepping up to the plate for round two.
I'm by no means implying the Odyssey is a bad vehicle, quite the opposite since I'm considering one in spite of the transmission problems that have cropped up from the Gen 2 versions on. Hopefully the new (Ridgeline) transmission is finally up to the task and eliminates this Achilles heel on the 2007's of an otherwise class-competitve people hauler.

Brian
Old 01-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, i have an '05 with no problems... it does clunk when going into reverse and always has-
we have a trailer hitch and they installed something in the tranny to aid in pulling loads (they said a cooling unit)
have about 25k miles on it now-
hope yours works out... its a great car-
when we want to take a car with lots of room and comfort thats the one we take!

guess i better trade it in on a new one in the next year or so!!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:05 AM

I have two aunts who bought Odysseys. They loved them until the problems started. One is on its third transmission. The other has had many problems (didn't ask for details).
Not sure why the Odyssey was such a miss compared to the very mechanically similar Pilot.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:28 AM

Maybe Honda let their usual QC pass to let them ramp up supply to meet overwhelming demand?

I've had a clunky transmission in my 05 Accord. However it's been running fine with 60k+ miles. (fingers crossed )
Old 01-23-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Honda has had tranny issues for V6 powered vehicles basically since 1998 (V6 Accord). The last generation MDX didn't seem to have many issues and the current TL and Ridgeline seem fairly good, but the Odyssey and last generation Accord (new Accord seems to be more-or-less fine) have gotten hammered with these issues. The last generation TL was very well known for failed trannies. Too bad, since a 2003 TL-S can be had for as little as many Accord's of that year and it's a lot more car for the money.

Quick Reply: Odyssey woes