Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Odometer Disconnect - Think They Will Know?

Old 09-24-2002, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by TKG 26

ummmm......burgers and beer.................
ummmm.....burgers......beer....and boobies.......ummmm.......
Old 09-24-2002, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the mileage stored on the ECU? If so, then for those using the Mugen ECU's it should reset the odo back to 0. Is this the case?
Old 09-24-2002, 12:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, while I don't condone what he is doing, I really don't think the mileage is stored anywhere in the ECU. If it is it sure as hell doesn't relate to the numbers on the cluster. Simple fact is I have swapped out the stock ECU many times with my Mugen ECU and the mileage on the cluster is always the same.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by turbo_pwr
[B]Guys, while I don't condone what he is doing, I really don't think the mileage is stored anywhere in the ECU.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:47 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by iLikeBeer
I would rather you know how fast you are going, or know when your engine is about to explode from lack of oil.

Sorry, I laughed when I read that line. I never even thought about that.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:56 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From an intelligence stand-point - this activity is just one rung up the ladder from that of Ferris Bueller.

You may elect to review some of the information listed below.

Not only do they prosecute criminally and in civil court for odometer fraud. They typically tack on wire/mail fraud (because your odo statement and the new title for the car are sent in the mail). I would also not be surprised if someone on this board actually works for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (the NHTSA handles odometer fraud cases) - or knows someone that does. Last I heard it was not to difficult to get a search warrant for internet membership information.

AS mentioned above - What about the poor guy that purchases this car from the dealer thinking it only had 48,000 miles on it?

I had an Integra that was 15k over the limit, leased a new one and had the dealer purchase my "over-mileage" car out-right from AHFC as part of the deal.

FEDERAL ODOMETER LAW

Motor Vehicle Cost Information Act, 49 U.S.C. Section 32704

1. (It shall be unlawful for a person) "with intent to defraud, operate a motor vehicle on a street, road, or highway if the person knows that the odometer of the vehicle is disconnected or not operating; or

2. The owner of the vehicle or agent of the owner shall attach a written notice to the left door frame of the vehicle specifying the mileage before the service, repair, or replacement and the date of the service, repair, or replacement.

3. A person transferring ownership of a motor vehicle shall give the transferree the following written disclosure

A) Disclosure of the cumulative mileage registered on the odometer,

B) Disclosure that the actual mileage is unknown if the transferror knows that the odometer reading is different from different from the number of miles the vehicle has actually traveled.

4. Mileage Statement Requirement for Licensing. - (1) A motor vehicle the ownership of which is transferred may not be licensed for use in a State unless the transferee, in submitting an application to a State for the title on which the license will be issued, includes with the application the transferor's title and, if that title contains the space referred to in paragraph (3)(A)(iii) of this subsection, a statement, signed and dated by the transferor, of the mileage disclosure required under subsection (a) of this section

THE FEDERAL ODOMETER TAMPERING STATUTES

Set forth below is a summary of federal odometer criminal statutes. Note that in over 90% of the cases, these laws will not come into play for the consumer. Typically the odometer rollback occurs well before the dealer obtains title so the dealer will profess ignorance of the rollback.

Altering the mileage reading on a motor vehicle is a felony. Effective July 5, 1994, the odometer tampering statutes were recodified from Title 15, U.S.C., to Title 49. The change was not substantive, though the statutes were reworded. Some of the old and new statutes are:

Tampering prohibition: moved from 15 U.S.C.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:40 PM
SSK

You guys might be amused to see this service, specializing in "mileage correction."

http://www.mileageman.com/
Old 09-25-2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by NYMATT74
My lease for my Accord is ending and I am gonna go over my miles ALOT so i disconnected my entire dashboard cluster. Nothing works...speedometer, odometer, gas and engine lights. Ya think they would be able to tell when i give it back?

I been filling up every 3 days so i dont get stranded and just drive with the flow of traffic so i dont speed. (cause i know some of you guys will ask)
Drive in reverse!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 AM

If you have an electronic cluster, which you have, your toasted. Removing the cluster will do nothing. Plug it back and you will see your new milage very quickly. Your milage is recorded somewhere else. In BMW's I beleive its at the differencial but I am not sure.

As stated above, trying doing this is very cheap for the next owner. Would you like to spend 20K$ on a car that actualy worth 15K$... nop... then don't do it to others
Old 01-05-2011, 07:55 AM

OP FAIL

Quick Reply: Odometer Disconnect - Think They Will Know?