Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Odometer Disconnect - Think They Will Know?

Old 09-23-2002, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer Disconnect - Think They Will Know?

My lease for my Accord is ending and I am gonna go over my miles ALOT so i disconnected my entire dashboard cluster. Nothing works...speedometer, odometer, gas and engine lights. Ya think they would be able to tell when i give it back?

I been filling up every 3 days so i dont get stranded and just drive with the flow of traffic so i dont speed. (cause i know some of you guys will ask)
Old 09-23-2002, 08:28 PM

I don't really know how this mechanism works, however, I'd think the dash cluster is just a display device. In other words, I would not think it is the actual keeper of information. Sort of like disconnecting your computer monitor has no effect on what the computer is running or gathering or not having your TV on doesn't effect what the VCR records, etc. I would think this information is collected and stored elsewhere and just sent to the cluster for display purposes.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable in car engineering can correct me if I am wrong.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummm....that's asinine and a felony, so I wouldn't bother.

I know you're prob. not worried about the leasing company, but some poor individual is gonna buy that car from the leasing company. Don't you think they deserve an accurate odo reading?
Old 09-23-2002, 08:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think ScottB is correct and I know Chris S is.
If it's anything like our S2000, the speedo drive on the tranny feeds its info to the ECU. The ECU then just displays the readings. The ECU stills keeps all the mileage. If you disconnect the speedo drive, you'll get a CEL. NOT good technically or legally.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:05 AM

The ECU stills reads the mileage. FACT

Will the mileage register when you plug the dash back in?, I don't know.

Will they prosecute if and when you get caught?, MAYBE.

Is it worth it?, NO....
Old 09-24-2002, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by brushman

Will the mileage register when you plug the dash back in?, I don't know.
Yep. Plus you'll get the CEL as noted above. Then when the Honda techs get the code off the computer, you'll be busted.

Tsk tsk tsk.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:15 AM

I have driven it around and reconnected it and it displays the same reading as before i disconnected it. Also, I heard that if the cluster where to be damaged in an accident they would send it to Albany (capital of NY) along with the new cluster to re-set the mileage...meaning the cluster records the miles.

I had a friend with an older accord and he just pulled the fuse out for the odometer and drove around that way before bringing it back....no cell for him. I tried that trick on mine but Honda got smart and wont let you roll down the windows or put the car in drive with that fuse out.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i first got my license, i was driving my parent's 1988 Oldsmobile with digital dash.......

i was dating a girl that lived VERY far away.......so the clicks were accumulating like crazy......

so i get the bright idea one day to pull the fuse to the dash display.....and VOILA, no accumulation of mileage!!!

b/c the fuse panel was right at my left knee, it was ridiculously convenient to access the fuse as and when required...even while driving.

we had the car for 5 years and took the car for regular service, repairs etc.. and no one was the wiser - no CEL lights were tripped or anything - EVER!!!

i'm a little older, a little wiser, and would never do this type of thing again....but i believe it IS possible.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:50 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

The old way to do it on Hondas was to pull the "Meter" fuse out...but that kills VTEC.

That was an easy enough thing to get around by attaching a switch and fuse to the "meter" fuse outlet.

Then Honda got smart and connected some "vitals" to the meter fuse. When the fuse was disabled, the ECU lost power while the car was running and the car would die from fuel starve.

How do I know? A couple of people I know are now serving probation for this stuff. It's not worth it....just spend the money, you're going to throw the money away on burgers and beer anyway.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Luder94
you're going to throw the money away on burgers and beer anyway.
ummmm......burgers and beer.................

Quick Reply: Odometer Disconnect - Think They Will Know?