Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NSX vs 996 Turbo

Old 03-23-2011, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hellaSleepy
If it was a 997 then I would probably pick that, but 996's look a bit dated to me. Also do you want to blend in more with the general public? if so get the 996. Of if you like getting lots of stares, then definitely the NSX. I think your girl would enjoy the NSX more especially if you pick the targa top
I have two buddies who both had an NSX('91), and I think they look really dated even compared to the 996.
But damn.. that silver NSX with BBS LMs looks just gorgeous!

I haven't driven the 996 before, so I don't know how it compares to the NSX.
The NSX drives like a real sports car for sure. It's a real head turner too.

Dan
Old 03-23-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same debate, I ultimately chose the 996 turbo. For the money, its hard to find another car that has the supercar performance and everyday drivability.

How much are you looking to spend? I think for a nicer NSX you'll need to have atleast $40K-$50K. After I sold my S2000, I also thought about getting an NSX. I have always admired that car, but at the same time, again for me, the performance and newer technology outweighed the looks of the NSX. Also you have to factor in, even if the car is stock, all the parts on the car are 10-20 years depending on what model year you get. I've driven the 290HP version and although it was a long time ago, I can tell you this the 996 turbo is on a completely different level performance wise. It will be a lot harder to find a nice NSX than a Turbo too.

To me, for the same amount of money, I would have to get a 4-8 year older NSX vs. a 996 Turbo. The nice (or con) thing about the turbo is that they are more plentiful so its easier to find a good example. I live in the Metro NYC area, and I can tell you this when I went to pick up my wife the other day, there are tons of people that follow you or stare at you in the car if that is important. So its still rare, maybe not NSX rare but its definitely not your everyday Accord. IMHO, the 996 still has the classic looks (exterior) and the interior is not that bad, you have to sit in it to really get a sense of how nice it is. It doesn't photograph well I guess. Your coming from an S2K, and its not like the S2K has the most amazing interior either. You really only need something that is functional. My friend has a 997, and yes its nicer and newer inside but not for $30K more.

I say drive both then you can make the decision yourself.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Sponsor
Vendor - Starter Primary

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fishfryer
The NSX to me is a snapshot in time
I just reread this thread as I was bored at work, and I really like this description. This works for any car that was really revolutionary.

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I would personally get an NSX and supercharge it. Would be way too low powered for me stock but with a comptech supercharger would be a lot of fun! Definitely a win win situation however. Good luck on your decision!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
You'll never hit 180 mph in a stock NSX, that's for sure. My dad has had both of his up to 155 mph and it took a while to get there (ie, it's not effortless)...
That is odd, I did hit 153mph, 151mph, 153mph, ON A MILE, while a standing mile event .... that on straight line, were the NSX doesn't really belong.

Did over 172+mph on my rather stock nsx many times, I had a pleasure to drive a supercharged NSX and that was a SICK car! Still I am quite happy with my Na2.

Oscar
Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 PM

delete
Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get an NSX. About 4 years ago, there were more available and the prices were relatively reasonable in Southern Cali. However, when I search for them now, it seems that the pricing has jumped up just about $10k on the NSX. For it's timeless value and rarity, I'd pick the NSX. It is sure to gain in value as more time elapses. Can't wait to see what one of them will fetch in another 20-30 years at a Barret-Jackson auction.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Sponsor
Vendor - Starter Primary

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by oscar_driver
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1300890685' post='20389364
You'll never hit 180 mph in a stock NSX, that's for sure. My dad has had both of his up to 155 mph and it took a while to get there (ie, it's not effortless)...
That is odd, I did hit 153mph, 151mph, 153mph, ON A MILE, while a standing mile event .... that on straight line, were the NSX doesn't really belong.

Did over 172+mph on my rather stock nsx many times, I had a pleasure to drive a supercharged NSX and that was a SICK car! Still I am quite happy with my Na2.

Oscar

The NFR in your sig looks amazing. I've started thinking about getting a NFR NSX as well, instead of just GPW.

Edit: lol that's actually your NSX that I posted a pic of!
Sorry for stealing your pics, lemme know if you want me to take em down.

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hellaSleepy
OMG that is beautiful!
I think you should send that money to my new foundation. You could sponsor a less fortunate child (well, my inner child). I'll send you monthly updates and pics to show you how great the car, um I mean child is doing.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by JS2k.com
Originally Posted by oscar_driver' timestamp='1300932286' post='20391177
[quote name='JonBoy' timestamp='1300890685' post='20389364']

Oscar

The NFR in your sig looks amazing. I've started thinking about getting a NFR NSX as well, instead of just GPW.

Edit: lol that's actually your NSX that I posted a pic of!
Sorry for stealing your pics, lemme know if you want me to take em down.
[/quote]

Dude, absolutely no problem, I can't wait to see you rocking an NSX!

Quick Reply: NSX vs 996 Turbo