Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NSX Unveiling in 4 Hours

Old 02-06-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
While I think the NSX concept that Honda unveiled is ugly as hell

Old 02-06-2012, 05:02 PM

they have 18 months to redeem themselves - in case they get lost review, over and over and over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgdQR...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-06-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
Originally Posted by SpudRacer' timestamp='1328575712' post='21389850

Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steponme
But this time, Honda's CEO just said to its board members: "You know what? Let's just waste millions of shareholders' money on a commercial that publicly announces the coming of a new NSX in front of tens of millions (perhaps hundreds of millions globally) of people. But in reality, we're not going to produce the car because we have no such intention. We're just bored, so let's have a little fun with our shareholders' money and put our reputation on the line by screwing with the public."

I hate reading stupid comments such as this, because they're so nonsensical. In the previous years, Honda did have an NSX-replacement program but had to shelf it due to economic reasons; however, it had never made a commercial which basically promises to millions of the public. Unless Honda suddenly goes bankrupt by the time of production, the production of this NSX is pretty much a certain thing. There's no dispute about it. The specifics of the car is another matter.
Stupid comment? Oh please put down your Honda pom-poms and don't jump to conclusions already. I don't doubt that the "NSX" will come. I just find it laughable that Honda is releasing a commercial about a car that is at least THREE years away. They have been on and off about the NSX since the first coming of Jesus Christ. There is a reason why the NSX has become a joke on the internet. Hell, even NSXprime has a forum dedicated to the NSX-unicorn. Honda is one of my top three favorite brands, but even I know they have been all talk and no walk as of late. I WANT the NSX to come, but to me this is just another one of those Honda press release to stall time. I rather they wait another 1.5 year for them to release the commercials.

Toyota, even with the economy downfall, went through with their LFA project which cost them a hell lot of money. What did Honda give us instead? Subpar Civic, Accord Crosstour that no one wants, a controversial TL, no real redesign of Acura's flagship RL, and a ZDX that's a sale failure. I am angry that Honda is no longer the world's leader in technology. Right now they're playing catch-up with the competitor. Honda has got to stop relying on the K-series and J-series engine because they're old and outdated. Again, I don't doubt the NSX will come and when it does, it's going to be spectacular. But at the same time, the rest of the industry is moving forward so 400hp now, is going to be news of yesterday. If anything, Honda needs to design a car that's going to be ahead at least 6 years from now.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by XtC-604
Originally Posted by Elistan' timestamp='1328548139' post='21388188
[quote name='XtC-604' timestamp='1328526628' post='21387292']What i see this car actually being like with more thought into it:
3700-3800lbs
100Hp in the electric motors
a 420HP 3.7L V6 that is high strung
0-60 ~4.0s
Okay, you've just speculated that the NSX Concept will be 3700 to 3800 lbs, with 520 combined HP. That's 7.1 to 7.3 lbs/hp.
The part of your statement that Steponme relates to you smoking crack is calling that "moderately faster than a TL."
You might say that in your opinion a Corvette Z06 (at 7.5 lbs/hp, it's slower than your guess of the NSX Concept) is "only moderately faster than a TL," but don't be surprised when you're accused of being on crack because of that opinion. (Don't take it personally, it's just the Internet's method of expressing disagreement with you.)

To get back to Z06 vs TL SH-AWD, you're talking about quarter mile times of 13.7@102.3 vs 11.9@123.5 (from R&T.) Is that really only "moderately faster" in your mind?
Yes I actually do think that, that is only moderately faster. I expected their "halo supercar" to be in the high 10s or low 11s. So speaking relatively, i would say that the TL-S is only slightly slower than the NSX.

And yes it was my mistake not magnesium infused CF, its to be specific, since you guys tend to be overly dramatic on the details: Carbotanium; is a method of combining a beta titanium alloy with advanced carbon composites, the combination having a matched yield strength and moduli of elasticity ratio. Said to be lighter and stronger. And i don't see Honda using this stuff.
[/quote]

I'll leave this thread if you can explain in your own words what "beta titanium alloy," "carbon composite," "yield strength," and "moduli of elasticity ratio" (moduli is the plural of modulus so that's wrong, and a modulus is, by definition, a ratio, so calling it a "modulus of elasticity ratio" is redundant) are and their relevancy to this discussion. I'll know if you've simply googled it or used Wikipedia.

Also, Toyota calls it a CFRP monocoque (plastic, in this case an epoxy, reinforced by carbon fiber), which means no titanium. Carbon fiber titanium composites are similar to carbon fiber enhanced magnesium, except it's stronger and slightly heavier if memory serves. The point of combining two materials is you get nearly all the good points of both. You can't combine carbon fiber with a weaker material and expect it to be stronger. Carbon fiber is extremely brittle and has a very low impact energy. Combining it with metal alloys solves that, but makes it somewhat weaker in the process. It also solves certain designs problems with carbon fiber, such as transitioning from one thickness to another.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Jesus Christ. It's like Silverstreak HX and ZX-10 had an abortion together and named it Xtc-604.
I chuckled
Old 02-07-2012, 04:22 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
Originally Posted by SpudRacer' timestamp='1328575712' post='21389850

Hahahahaha
Old 02-07-2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by tarheel91
Originally Posted by XtC-604' timestamp='1328572175' post='21389694
[quote name='Elistan' timestamp='1328548139' post='21388188']
[quote name='XtC-604' timestamp='1328526628' post='21387292']What i see this car actually being like with more thought into it:
3700-3800lbs
100Hp in the electric motors
a 420HP 3.7L V6 that is high strung
0-60 ~4.0s
Okay, you've just speculated that the NSX Concept will be 3700 to 3800 lbs, with 520 combined HP. That's 7.1 to 7.3 lbs/hp.
The part of your statement that Steponme relates to you smoking crack is calling that "moderately faster than a TL."
You might say that in your opinion a Corvette Z06 (at 7.5 lbs/hp, it's slower than your guess of the NSX Concept) is "only moderately faster than a TL," but don't be surprised when you're accused of being on crack because of that opinion. (Don't take it personally, it's just the Internet's method of expressing disagreement with you.)

To get back to Z06 vs TL SH-AWD, you're talking about quarter mile times of 13.7@102.3 vs 11.9@123.5 (from R&T.) Is that really only "moderately faster" in your mind?
Yes I actually do think that, that is only moderately faster. I expected their "halo supercar" to be in the high 10s or low 11s. So speaking relatively, i would say that the TL-S is only slightly slower than the NSX.

And yes it was my mistake not magnesium infused CF, its to be specific, since you guys tend to be overly dramatic on the details: Carbotanium; is a method of combining a beta titanium alloy with advanced carbon composites, the combination having a matched yield strength and moduli of elasticity ratio. Said to be lighter and stronger. And i don't see Honda using this stuff.
[/quote]

I'll leave this thread if you can explain in your own words what "beta titanium alloy," "carbon composite," "yield strength," and "moduli of elasticity ratio" (moduli is the plural of modulus so that's wrong, and a modulus is, by definition, a ratio, so calling it a "modulus of elasticity ratio" is redundant) are and their relevancy to this discussion. I'll know if you've simply googled it or used Wikipedia.

Also, Toyota calls it a CFRP monocoque (plastic, in this case an epoxy, reinforced by carbon fiber), which means no titanium. Carbon fiber titanium composites are similar to carbon fiber enhanced magnesium, except it's stronger and slightly heavier if memory serves. The point of combining two materials is you get nearly all the good points of both. You can't combine carbon fiber with a weaker material and expect it to be stronger. Carbon fiber is extremely brittle and has a very low impact energy. Combining it with metal alloys solves that, but makes it somewhat weaker in the process. It also solves certain designs problems with carbon fiber, such as transitioning from one thickness to another.
[/quote]

I believe he is talking about the material used in the Pagani Cinque and now Huyara. It is supposedly used to strengthen the crash shell. The material was patented by Pagani as well IIRC.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to admit, I actually liked the new NSX in the Super Bowl commercial.

Quick Reply: NSX Unveiling in 4 Hours