Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NSX Unveiling in 4 Hours

Old 01-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I, too, am skeptical of electric motors in sports cars, but the evolution of technology must go on. We're in the beginning phase of the hybrid technology, so maybe in 5, 10 years, it'll turn out to be great. As I've also said, ALL supercars in 10 years time will have automated manuals (DCT, SMG, etc.)
Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by Jacques79' timestamp='1326224145' post='21303698
I think it looks great for a concept-production-ish sports car. We all know the final showroom version will be less ''visually offensive''.

My only concerns are engine noise and ''feel'': I have no idea how this thing is going to sound with the hybrid system and all. Will it be a high-reving engine? I hope they are not just to slap in the TL/RL engine (which is great but not the most exciting) in addition to the electric motors.

I also hope it won't weigh close to 4000 pounds...

It sure looks like an Audi R8 fighter. This is the first time in years that a Honda product has made me smile
I'll requote the CEO again:

"While most supercars opt for brute force delivered from a large engine, the NSX Concept champions the true racing philosophy of an extremely favorable power-to-weight ratio."
So, expect moderate power and lower weight than comparable competition.

They'll use the all-new corporate 3.5L V6 (perhaps a higher-displacement variant of it) with more power than currently available. That motor (in standard trim) is going to have more power than the current 3.7L (305 hp) from Acura, per Honda's previous news release, so I'm betting they'll get 350+ hp out of it in high performance trim. The electric motors will provide the rest of the motive force, probably 100 additional hp. Peak hp will be less than 350 + 100, so I figure somewhere around 400-425hp peak.

An electric motor won't have an effect on the engine sound. The original NSX had a great induction sound from its V6 and I imagine this car will sound quite good as well (nothing like the intake horn right behind your ear!).
I doubt they'll squeeze 100hp per liter out of it...I can see maybe 320-330hp. The high specific output motors get terrible gas mileage, and that's not the message they want to send with a hybrid. Total horsepower, if I had to guess, would be 350-380 with the hybrid assist.

If I had to guess the weight...I'd say 3400lbs. The aluminum 991 Carrera S (a bespoke chassis car with a 3.8 liter engine) comes in around 3100lbs. Tack on electric motors, a battery pack, and awd drivetrain...and you'll have 3400lbs.

I'm going to guess that this car will be equal to (if not slower than) the e92 M3.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 20aeman
Total horsepower, if I had to guess, would be 350-380 with the hybrid assist.

I'm going to guess that this car will be equal to (if not slower than) the e92 M3.
I would like to place monetary wagers on both of these guesses, please. And I'd like to go all in with every penny I have.

How can anyone be so naive as to think Honda's CEO (who was one of the original NSX engineers) would approve of their halo supercar if it's "equal to (if not slower than) the E92 M3" and has such a low HP figure for today's supercars? And you also think that each electric motor will produce only 25hp? It may not be faster than the ultra-high-hp supercars of today, but to think Honda execs would approve of its production if it's as equally fast (or slower than) as a $30K MUSTANG GT is simply...(speechless).

So yeah, if someone would draw up a wager contract, I'd like to go all in. Seriously!

When the car is finally tested, I will come back to this thread, quote your post and say "Ha ha!".
Old 01-11-2012, 05:50 AM

Received 419 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by iDomN8U
Originally Posted by Gigdy' timestamp='1326207218' post='21302723
lol hybrid.
I think it will work, if it's implemented the same way I would envision it. That is the electric motors are used only to add torque when cornering. As I would imagine that there is very little drive loss and lag when it's done with electric motors vs drive-train/diff.

Trade off is the weight, but a diff/axles can be pretty heavy too.
Well lets take a look at their last sports hybrid. Not to mention the weight of batteries. I see no advantages coming from it being a hybrid.

Originally Posted by Steponme
Originally Posted by 20aeman' timestamp='1326272792' post='21305817
Total horsepower, if I had to guess, would be 350-380 with the hybrid assist.

I would like to place monetary wagers on both of these guesses, please. And I'd like to go all in with every penny I have.

How can anyone be so naive as to think Honda's CEO (who was one of the original NSX engineers) would approve of their halo supercar if it's "equal to (if not slower than) the E92 M3" and has such a low HP figure for today's supercars? And you also think that each electric motor will produce only 25hp? It may not be faster than the ultra-high-hp supercars of today, but to think Honda execs would approve of its production if it's as equally fast (or slower than) as a $30K MUSTANG GT is simply...(speechless).

So yeah, if someone would draw up a wager contract, I'd like to go all in. Seriously!

When the car is finally tested, I will come back to this thread, quote your post and say "Ha ha!".

Because CR-Z
Old 01-11-2012, 05:56 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

We'll find out in 2015 when the car is supposed to come to market.

Hell, cars could be flying by then.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fishfryer
So.... What I have gathered is that nothing Honda does with the NSX will affect the rest of their dead in the water models. The NSX must stand on its own, make money for the company and hopefully create a fanbase that will actually buy its cars down the road. Since they should have learned from their collegues at Toyota whose overinflated egos made them produce the lame-duck LFA that their price point is right at $60K that their competition isn't being a halo car, it is a viable sales model, that nobody (in volume) will pay $100K plus for a rice burner. The truth is, japs make volume cars, the italians and the germans make special cars. The NSX wont be special on a world stage until it has proved itself for a few years. Then Honda can move it upscale, until then, it is a zero, a car that can't measure up to a 50 year old beetle derived sportscar. As much as I loved the S2000, I understand that Honda doesn't have the mindset to make a sportscar, let alone a supercar, they only want to make a car to try and change the mind of some people that can't decide between a camry and a genesis to buy an accord. The NSX is a marketing exercise, nothing more. My guess is that just like the LFA, if honda make this NSX, they will lose money on each one.

That is why they should make a cheaper boxster/corvette alternative. They just don't have the juice to pull off anything else.
Here is my since I can't rep your post! Well put!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Because CR-Z
Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Originally Posted by sparrow' timestamp='1326200762' post='21302487
[quote name='Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1326165324' post='21301615']
[quote name='wrecked' timestamp='1326148084' post='21300805']
Still think they should have just released a slightly toned down street version of the HSV as the new NSX. None of this hybrid/ auto shit.

Do you guys not realize that this is some ricer's wet dream that was never going to happen? You might as well post a picture of a space shuttle.
Oh boy
[/quote]

Care to elaborate?
[/quote]
Sure. The HSV racecar was derived directly from production ready chassis' (from the cancelled "nsx successor" program) developed by Honda which is required by Super GT. Although the front and rear strutcure can be modified with the use of tube-frame clips the central chassis/cockpit remains the same. The car must also look similar to its road going variant. We can debate what is considered production ready, we can debate what is considered similar. We saw all the camo'd vehicles on "the ring" after the stretched s2000 mule. With an open mind this is not evidence and conjecture at best but is it really hard to believe the camo'd vehicles are related to the HSV? Acura/Honda had no other GT coupe at the time IIRC. The image posted is admittedly an artist's rendering based on the racecar which in no way should be taken as fact that the car would have looked identical to the image. But it would be a Reed Richards stretch to claim "you could post the space shuttle" as an argument. If you're point is to say that there was no production road going variant then say that. I could look at a GTR and the Super GT GTR and see that they are indeed similar in the same way this artists rendering is similar. That goes for every vehicle on the grid, theres no question as to what they are derived from. This is the reverse. A wet dream and space shuttle would indicate that there was no tangible evidence from which the artist drew inspiration. Hence my eyeroll as I believed your post to be outlandish.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:50 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by sparrow
Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1326257312' post='21305440
[quote name='sparrow' timestamp='1326200762' post='21302487']
[quote name='Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1326165324' post='21301615']
[quote name='wrecked' timestamp='1326148084' post='21300805']
Still think they should have just released a slightly toned down street version of the HSV as the new NSX. None of this hybrid/ auto shit.

Do you guys not realize that this is some ricer's wet dream that was never going to happen? You might as well post a picture of a space shuttle.
Oh boy
[/quote]

Care to elaborate?
[/quote]
Sure. The HSV racecar was derived directly from production ready chassis' (from the cancelled "nsx successor" program) developed by Honda which is required by Super GT. Although the front and rear strutcure can be modified with the use of tube-frame clips the central chassis/cockpit remains the same. The car must also look similar to its road going variant. We can debate what is considered production ready, we can debate what is considered similar. We saw all the camo'd vehicles on "the ring" after the stretched s2000 mule. With an open mind this is not evidence and conjecture at best but is it really hard to believe the camo'd vehicles are related to the HSV? Acura/Honda had no other GT coupe at the time IIRC. The image posted is admittedly an artist's rendering based on the racecar which in no way should be taken as fact that the car would have looked identical to the image. But it would be a Reed Richards stretch to claim "you could post the space shuttle" as an argument. If you're point is to say that there was no production road going variant then say that. I could look at a GTR and the Super GT GTR and see that they are indeed similar in the same way this artists rendering is similar. That goes for every vehicle on the grid, theres no question as to what they are derived from. This is the reverse. A wet dream and space shuttle would indicate that there was no tangible evidence from which the artist drew inspiration. Hence my eyeroll as I believed your post to be outlandish.
[/quote]

It's adorable that you feel the need to over exaggerate what you read into my rather obvious commentary. The rendering in question is a cartoonish exaggeration at best. It sits too low, the wheels are too big, the hoodline too low, etc. for it to be an even remotely credible possibility that the road car could look that way, all because the artist left the car far too similar to the race version, hence ricer's wet dream.

I was most certainly not suggesting that they never built HSV prototypes or that the Super GT version was not based on said prototypes. But what you see here clearly shares too many race car features for it to be taken seriously as an example of what the production version would have looked like. My commentary said nothing regarding the HSV. I was simply point out that all of the people who are quick with the "ZOMG! They should build a car that looks like this,"[insert played out rendering] are doing a lot of typing but not really saying anything because it would never have looked as svelte, aggressive, or race-car-like as the rendering depicts. Then I added a little hyperbole with the space shuttle comment.

Seriously, Sparrow. You're just pissing in the wind here. It was obvious that I was not implying half of the things that you're arguing against. Sparrow, meet straw man. Sraw man, meet Sparrow. Oh, I see you've met already.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:04 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

How many concept NSX replacements have we seen from Honda at this point? Five?

Quick Reply: NSX Unveiling in 4 Hours