Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NSX Unveiling in 4 Hours

Old 01-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy
This is a halo car that will showcase technology, not simplicity.
Ding ding ding! Honda and its CEO have said this many times (that the halo car will be meant to showcase its technology and direction for Honda's future). IF Honda wanted to make a simple car, it would have already; it wouldn't have bothered with all the R&D of new technologies.

Btw, has the price been announced? I have a hard time believing it'll be $100K, what with all the expensive technology (even a simple Z06 is knocking on the door of $100K).

P.S. And no, DB8, this new car cannot do one-handed pull-ups either, unless it has 17.5" biceps/triceps and can pull its 190-lb body up (just a preemptive response).
Old 01-10-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steponme
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1326235582' post='21304408
This is a halo car that will showcase technology, not simplicity.
Ding ding ding! Honda and its CEO have said this many times (that the halo car will be meant to showcase its technology and direction for Honda's future). IF Honda wanted to make a simple car, it would have already; it wouldn't have bothered with all the R&D of new technologies.

Btw, has the price been announced? I have a hard time believing it'll be $100K, what with all the expensive technology (even a simple Z06 is knocking on the door of $100K).

P.S. And no, DB8, this new car cannot do one-handed pull-ups either, unless it has 17.5" biceps/triceps and can pull its 190-lb body up (just a preemptive response).

Steroids? j/k man!

1 - I stopped caring about which is the fastest car a long time ago. I don't care if it has less HP than a Z06, 911 or whatever. The way it drives is more important to me.

2 - Honda will not develop a super car without it being game changer and being ahead of the curve with where Honda thinks this industry and the cars competitors are headed.

Just like the original NSX that succeeded in this aspect, I think Honda is aiming to do it again. Will it succeed who the hell knows until 2015.

So far based on the specs, the whole car is leaving me a bit cold. I guess Honda/Acura has failed so bad lately I can't imagine them actually doing something right.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I love how everyone is arguing over nothing. No solid data is released. Can't argue speculation.

and if we had solid data, assuming the car is 100K: (after tax)(which I highly doubt) 2005 NSX is already 89,000.00

10K down, 4.99% for 5 years: 1,700.00/month
20K down, 4.99% for 5 years: 1,600
30K down, 4.99% for 5 years: 1,320
40K down, 4.99% for 5 years: 1,140
50K down, 4.99% for 5 years: 950.00
60K down, 4.99% for 5 years: 750.00
70K down, 4.99% for 5 years: 550.00

90% 0f the members posts on this thread will not be able to QUALIFY for this car.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Back-cracker
and if we had solid data, assuming the car is 100K: (after tax)(which I highly doubt) 2005 NSX is already 89,000.00
No way in hell would this car be $100K, what with all the technologies in it. My previous assumption was $150K, and even that's a little bit low already. Honda is not expecting to produce too many of this halo or make profits.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by fishfryer
Obviously it won't be simple and that is going to be it's undoing. It's price point won't work for any volume and that is what Honda needs as a company. 2011 was an aweful year for that company, just like the LFA doesn't add to Toyota sales, the NSX won't translate either. When you start charging mid-level 911 money for a car you are just looking for a tiny niche and to me that is dopey. My point is that the NSX will be in 'no-mans' land and few will be built, few will be sold and just like the original it was at the wrong price point.

Honda sells enough little shitboxes with good MPGs (to meet CAFE) that their supercar shouldn't have to be a showcase for gizmos, it should be a showcase for affordable supercar performance. I'd rather have 6.0 liters of displacement than 4 liters and some batteries and electric motors.

But that is just me.
Ah yes, because so many companies have simple halo cars. C'mon - that doesn't even make sense. Even the ZR-1 has a ton of technology (advanced traction control, fancy suspension, monster motor, carbon brakes, etc, etc).

This car won't be about volume, just like the LF-A isn't about volume. It's not about sales at all. It's about pointing the rest of the brand upwards and saying, "This is the epitome of what we have (in some form or fashion) in your basic family transportation."

2011 was awful for Honda because they had low production levels, not because they couldn't sell anything (they were 18% ahead of 2010 in sales until the earthquakes hit).

Honestly, I think you've completely missed the raison d'etre for this car. It's all about niche, exclusivity and technology.

Like you, I would prefer a car that is less "techy" and more "simple" and also less expensive (so that I could buy it) BUT that doesn't mean they've made the wrong decision.

If you want 6L of displacement, it's already out there. Go buy it. I'm not being flippant - I'm just saying that if you really wanted it, you could have it (in spades).
Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by fishfryer
After careful consideration I am sure I'd rather have a Boxster S with a 6M trans than a NSX with a DCT, electric motors and whatever other nonsense that Honda can stuff into it. The problem is the NSX seems to be the exact opposite of the S2000. The S2000 was fun and simple. My guess is the NSX will be neither.
I think Honda is doing the original NSX a disservice by calling this whatever it is flaunting now the next NSX. It is nothing like the NSX in the sense that it is going to be a showcase for hybrid technology while the original NSX was a classic sports car. IMO of course.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

This threads reminds me in 2003 when the AP2 was introduced. Watered down, disgrace, no 9000RPM... And look now.

Wait until test data comes out, then state your dismays.

As of right now, its just a CONCEPT.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:52 PM

It looks decent to me. I'd be willing to wager that if any of us saw it passing us on the street today we'd be all "dude check that out". Does anyone know if it will be at the Chicago auto show? If so, I will be able to see it for myself in person. I'm really not all that excited about the hybrid part of it, but that's the way things are going so I suppose I will have to get on board with it one of these days. I'm guessing that if I should ever get to drive one, once I put my foot to the floor I won't really care what is powering it. While I am excited to finally see a new NSX, this isn't really what I was expecting. I will reserve my final judgement until I know more about it.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by fishfryer' timestamp='1326234654' post='21304355
After careful consideration I am sure I'd rather have a Boxster S with a 6M trans than a NSX with a DCT, electric motors and whatever other nonsense that Honda can stuff into it. The problem is the NSX seems to be the exact opposite of the S2000. The S2000 was fun and simple. My guess is the NSX will be neither.
I think Honda is doing the original NSX a disservice by calling this whatever it is flaunting now the next NSX. It is nothing like the NSX in the sense that it is going to be a showcase for hybrid technology while the original NSX was a classic sports car. IMO of course.
Or as the original nsx was a game changing sportscar this will also be a game changing sportscar.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:17 PM

I would not buy it. Like may others I prefer a less techno car and more driver car. Even when a ZR1 have a ton of gadgets it have a lot less than a GTR??? Right. (Well I still prefer a Z06 but that another $20) But I could understand why Honda whants to do something like this. A different name will be good. I think as a NSX we was waiting more evolution no revolution. That's why I think that a more modern name will help a car like this.

Quick Reply: NSX Unveiling in 4 Hours