Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NSX Unveiling in 4 Hours

Old 01-10-2012, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would they ruin the car with by giving it a front and rear beak? Worst corporate design scheme ever
Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is a very sharp looking design and as the spec show it is quite a small car. This photo provides a good perspective on how compact the car is

Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel L
Why would they ruin the car with by giving it a front and rear beak? Worst corporate design scheme ever
I think we need to get some sort of campaign going called "STOP THE BEAK".com to absolutely discuss how much we hate this stupid styling gimmick ! First order lets all get some bird seed and leave it in front of every birdbeak Acura at the dealership! You think that might send a Message????
Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think their target market and/or competition is different with this version of the NSX compared to the previous one. IIRC, they targeted the Ferrari 308 (or 318?) when building their first one and they wanted to build a capable, but raw car to exceed the performance of it for less money. With this release, they are trying to compete (most likely) with the R8 (fast, but luxurious, and capable with all kinds of electronic do dads and AWD). They probably are trying to increase the distance between the Honda brand and Acura brand, to try and push the Acura brand up to the top tier with Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. Speaking of brand, the nose may be ugly, but it does establish clear branding (similar to annoying Progressive lady or the Vongage song). I wouldn't be surprised if it is trademarked at the US Patent and Trademark Office!

Dare I say, but Toyota has done a great job of separating Toyota and their appliances with their "Scion" brand and the bland Lexus brand with the "F" performance branch. Maybe Acura will release a hardcore version of the car with 18" lightweight racing wheels, carbon ceramic brakes, no hybrid drivetrain, RWD etc. similar to the Ferrari FXX to satisfy all of the performance enthusiasts.

Of course, few, if any here could afford any version of the car when it is released...
Old 01-10-2012, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Here is a comparison of the dimensions between the old NSX and the new NSX.

Old:

Wikipedia:
Wheel Base: 99.6"
Length: 174.2" (the 2nd gen)
Width: 71.3"
Height: 46.1"

New:

Road & Track:
Wheel Base: 101.4" (+1.8")
Length: 170.5" (-3.7")
Width: 74.6" (+3.3")
Height: 45.7" (-.4")

So, the new car is definitely quite small. It's actually shorter and slightly lower than the original (which was very low to start). The width is wider and the wheels are stretched a few inches which should enhance grip and stability.
I haven't been around an old nsx in a while so i want to play with my car

2008 viper
Wheel Base : 98.8
Length : 175.6
Width : 75.7
Height : 47.6

Car is low and short with a wide wheel base. The height would be stark. I already think of the viper as a very low car. I guess on the smooth track setting my acr and the new nsx would be almost exactly the same. That's low.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:13 AM

To me it doesn't share ANY nsx resemblence. It's like they just built a coupe and called it the nsx. I like the front though.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:35 AM

I think it looks great for a concept-production-ish sports car. We all know the final showroom version will be less ''visually offensive''.

My only concerns are engine noise and ''feel'': I have no idea how this thing is going to sound with the hybrid system and all. Will it be a high-reving engine? I hope they are not just to slap in the TL/RL engine (which is great but not the most exciting) in addition to the electric motors.

I also hope it won't weigh close to 4000 pounds...

It sure looks like an Audi R8 fighter. This is the first time in years that a Honda product has made me smile
Old 01-10-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by KingVen
To me it doesn't share ANY nsx resemblence. It's like they just built a coupe and called it the nsx. I like the front though.
You want an old NSX? Buy an old NSX.

You want a car that "refreshes" an old look? Buy a Mustang. Or a Ford GT.

But don't blast the designers for moving forward in time with the rest of the world.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM

I hope it ends up as quite a driving machine for a relatively "reasonable" price. The continuation of the beaks design theme automatically hurts it for me.

Quick Reply: NSX Unveiling in 4 Hours