Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NSX news...well......read on

Old 07-18-2005, 02:55 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

LL ^ I see your point. But it's like a tease, we're all thinking if Honda did it once wait til the next twice baked NSX comes out. It'll be a F430 for the price of a Z06 with civic-like reliability etc..

Let me know when it happens, but till then I'll wait for a real car like a Skyline or Audi A9 (LeMans) because they're for real.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys talk like you know that the NSX is extremely comparable to the exotics on the track. You cannot watch a Best Motoring video and conclude on that. The NSX is still a 6 cylinder NA car with weight being its only real advantage.
Ask the track drivers whether the NSX is a worthy track car, they'll say yes but it will cost so much to get there. Superchargers, twin turboes - people have done everything imaginable to get this car up to the level of the exotics.

And at $70k-90k, you can see why a lot of us are so hesistant to put money on it. The next GTR on the other hand will cost $70k at the most, though Nissan intend to keep the cost to around the level of the last GTR (which is around $45k-$55k in Japan).

If the next NSX is indeed fitted with a larger capacity engine and a redesigned body, there is no doubt that it will cost much much more than the current version.

It'll be 1990 all over again.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by MrGTR,Jul 18 2005, 05:57 PM
If the next NSX is indeed fitted with a larger capacity engine and a redesigned body, there is no doubt that it will cost much much more than the current version.

It'll be 1990 all over again.
Maybe so, but the price prolly wont be based on teh engine alone. If i remember, one of the reasons the NSX was expensive is because of the aluminum frame. Al frames are now common and cheaper to produce.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrGTR,Jul 18 2005, 03:57 PM
Can't agree with that. I generally disagree with him, but steve c has a point when he says that there's nothing on the NSX's spec sheet that comes remotely close to justifying its $90k price. Lotus, a small boutique manufacturer that makes its cars in expensive England, still manages to bring the all-aluminum Elise over here for a bit over $40k. Scoff at the power difference between the two if you'd like, but the Elise is very comparable to the current NSX performance-wise.

Steve
Old 07-19-2005, 02:08 PM

no matter the v6/v8 decision.. the new nsx needs to be cheaper. much cheaper.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:11 PM

no matter the v6/v8 decision.. the new nsx needs to be cheaper. much cheaper.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=PedalFaster,Jul 18 2005, 08:50 PM] Can't agree with that.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:28 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think Porsche, Ferrari, and Lambo are at a level where they can charge somewhat for a name. Acura is not. They have to deliver performance for a price.

Look at what happened with the VW Phaeton. On paper it may look like an alternative to the S-class but in reality if I'm spending $80K+ why would I want a VW? That's already S-class money why not get a S-class?

Same may have happened with the NSX; if it's 911 money why not get a 911? Not to mention the 911 can be had with double the HP/AWD/Cabs/hi-perf editions etc..

I'd say even if the NSX comes out with C5 Z06 perf but costs $90Ks it'll sell OK but not a bazillion units. However if it comes out with current gen NSX perf for $50s it'll sell a lot more IMO
Old 07-19-2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Jul 18 2005, 06:50 PM
Can't agree with that. I generally disagree with him, but steve c has a point when he says that there's nothing on the NSX's spec sheet that comes remotely close to justifying its $90k price. Lotus, a small boutique manufacturer that makes its cars in expensive England, still manages to bring the all-aluminum Elise over here for a bit over $40k. Scoff at the power difference between the two if you'd like, but the Elise is very comparable to the current NSX performance-wise.

Steve
Caveat - I love the living hell out of my 1998 NSX.

Having said that, your comparison isn't worth anything.

I love the Elise. Don't get me wrong. But if you've spent any time at all behind the wheel of both of these cars you'd know that there's absolutely no comparison. On a tight track, I'd bet money the Elise would be faster. But in the real world, and in an environment where an owner actually wants to drive their car on more than just sunny weekends... two completely different animals.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who use their Elises' for daily transportation. But trust me, they're hardcore. Most of us (me included and I drove my previous S2000's a lot) would not want to take a trip of longer than about an hour in an Elise. Way too cramped, way too loud, way too noisy.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Jul 18 2005, 06:50 PM

Steve
Caveat - I love the living hell out of my 1998 NSX.

Having said that, your comparison isn't worth anything.

I love the Elise. Don't get me wrong. But if you've spent any time at all behind the wheel of both of these cars you'd know that there's absolutely no comparison. On a tight track, I'd bet money the Elise would be faster. But in the real world, and in an environment where an owner actually wants to drive their car on more than just sunny weekends... two completely different animals.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who use their Elises' for daily transportation. But trust me, they're hardcore. Most of us (me included and I drove my previous S2000's a lot) would not want to take a trip of longer than about an hour in an Elise. Way too cramped, way too loud, way too noisy.

Quick Reply: NSX news...well......read on