Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

the NSX, japan's best handling car?

Old 04-30-2004, 08:59 AM
ttb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the NSX, japan's best handling car?

when the nsx loses a drag race the natural response is that it's really shines when it comes to handling. but does it? the guys at road and track didn't think so

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/magazin..._article02.html

interesting article.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waiting for Kaiwans pictures....

Interesting article; thanks. Look at that RX-7 laptime.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:47 AM

What's with all the Strawman arguments? Did someone actually make that claim?

I guess I'll play along and say it seemed to do pretty well, 3 editors choose the FD, one the NSX, one the 911, and the final one was split between the NSX and 911. Despite it's quicker laptime, nobody gave the 3000GT much consideration. Sullivan, who's opinion is probably the only one that really counts, called the NSX a very close second to the mighty 911 Turbo. With some heavier springs/damper settings, it could have won.

As for the main complaint, the tail stepping out under braking, I hope Sullivan is tailoring those statements to the readership, because I know he is more than capable enough to exploit that trait.

I recall an article about Ayrton Senna wringing out the NSX at Suzuka, with particular emphasis on how he trail braked into the Spoon curve, balancing the car on the edge as he set up perfectly the for the exit of the next corner. When did that become a bad thing, or do we just prefer nice safe understeer?

First gen SK2 owners (and *cough*cough* Porsche drivers) of all people should appreciate that characteristic.

As for the FD, well that is a great car, and that lap time is impressive. But as a separate issue, how well will that translate to real world spirited driving? It is well noted that the 2nd turbo can kick in mid-corner, which has lead to more than a few pairs of soiled underwear.

PS- Did you guys just win a lot of old car magazine and a scanner on ebay?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't see the link for some reason. They should have thrown in the NSX Type R - I think it posted better times at the Nurburgring than the 360 Modena and M3 CSL despite a serious power disadvantage.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SiDriver
I can't see the link for some reason.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:02 AM

SiDriver, the article is from 1992. The current NSX-R was evo magazine's track day car of the year in 2003. It must be a pretty good platform to garner than distinction 14 years into a product cycle.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:26 AM

NSX-R beat the M3 CSL, Challenge Stradale & GT3 around Tsukaba, I believe. The only cars in the test which beat it were the Murci and the Gallardo (which was ahead of the Murci).
Old 04-30-2004, 10:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Mr Payne
NSX-R beat the M3 CSL, Challenge Stradale & GT3 around Tsukaba, I believe. The only cars in the test which beat it were the Murci and the Gallardo (which was ahead of the Murci).
The NSX-R must have one hell of a chassis then considering the car only has 290 hp. Is it possibly one of the best handling or the best handling production car of today?
Old 04-30-2004, 11:51 AM

anyone knows where I can purchase these older issues?
thanks
Old 04-30-2004, 11:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SiDriver

The NSX-R must have one hell of a chassis then considering the car only has 290 hp.

Quick Reply: the NSX, japan's best handling car?