Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NSX- Destined to become a classic... or not?

Old 01-29-2003, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I have to say is "read the following article."

Old 01-29-2003, 06:32 PM

Yeah, I've seen that. I wanted to shrink it down and print it out somehow, but it seemed like it'd be too small to read then.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GalvestonVTEC
[B]Hmm, it seems like people use the term classic in different contexts. I've read that its highly unlikely for a car to ever become collectible (by this, I mean one you would, say, see at Pebble Beach) if more than 400 copies are produced. I haven't seen the latest issue of Automobile, but I'll look into that if I can.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:47 PM

I don't know about Pebble Beach, but I think the NXS certainly SHOULD become a classic, at least in the same sense as, say, 50's Vettes, Jags, T Birds, etc. I just saw an E-Type sell for over $100,000 and a '56 T-Bird go for &76,000 at Barrett-Jackson, prices certainly qualifying the cars as "classics". No "pedigree" with Japanese marques? Pedigrees seem to evolve from building consistantly great cars, over time. Honda has the racing credentials, as has been noted, Toyota (Lexus) has gained a luxury reputation; surely a "pedigree" will come out of these efforts? I'm thinking about Honda vs. Porsche -- they've been building cars about the same # of years (50), but Ferdinand concentrated only on niche performance models, while Honda mass-produced (almost) only low-priced ones. As a result, today Porsche has the classic rep., Honda doesn't. I do not believe this reputation is based on engineering superiority on Germany's part, but how the cars were marketed. Since IMHO the S2000 is the engineering equal to Porsche products, as is certainly the NSX, maybe classic status is coming our way.? It also has to help that the NSX and S2000 were clean-sheet designs, invented from the ground-up, not cobbled together from a corporate parts bin. Porsches and Ferraris are developed this way, too. NXS could use a 400hp motor to help its cause along today, but then nobody's a classic when they first come out, only later.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:54 PM

I am absolutely certain that the S2000 will go down in history as an automotive benchmark achievement and a classic. I don't see why the NSX would deserve any less. However, the S2000 won't be seen at Pebble Beach, and I highly doubt the NSX would be either.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:34 AM

I don't know about the s2000 going down as a classic, probably as just another nice car in history. But the NSX I can see as becoming a classic car, as to pebble beach concourse and that crap I've never been to one and I don't need them telling me which car is a classic and which one is not. Hell I think the r32 gtr will be classic but will there ever be one at the concourse probably not.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:43 AM
Banned

In my mind, the NSX is the ultimate car to me. Pagani, McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini... they are all nice cars.

But the NSX... man, this car has poise, handling, a throaty engine, and looks to die for. The very first time I saw an NSX I was 12 years old and it was at the Calgary car show... my dad and I were checking out all the cars, and when I walked by the NSX, I just froze. Even at *12* the car grabbed me, yanked my heart in a way no other work of art could. I knew then and there, that I was going to have one.

The NSX doesn't need to become a classic, because it already *IS* a classic. It is not one of the best cars ever made...

It simply IS the best car ever made.

(Then the S2000 came along, but still, an NSX is the ultimate to me)
Old 01-30-2003, 05:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About the weight issue, yeah NSXs aren't the lightest cars around, but I would like to know how much the 911 and 348 weighed.
348 Berlinetta -- 3258lb
911 -- 2800-3000 Depending on options and configuration (cabriolet etc).

About the Honda racing pedigree, while I don't really think they have had much of a phenomenal success over the years, you can't deny that Honda has been involved with all sorts of racing, ranging from motorcycles to F1.

Personally I would love to see someone start a series similar to the Formula Mazda's we now see -- instead using the F20C. For around 40 grand I'd buy one in a hurry. Although some of the mazda racers say they get more than one season out of their motors, anyone who has ever owned a Mazda rotary knows they are ticking time bombs.

I think the large number of NSX's out there will preclude them from ever being very rare and thus highly desirable to collectors -- but they will probably remain a desirable and unique car for the rest of us for years to come.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:25 AM

Received 5,758 Likes on 3,393 Posts

An excellent question.

In my honest opinion, No. At least not in the US. I'm sure it will be considered a classic in Japan. And it clearly has a cult following around the world - in fact, many are active it seems on this site.

Honda has truly established it self as a Motorcycle builder and as a Motor builder but as for classic sportcars . . . well, and you may laugh if you want, but I believe the S2000 will endear itself to the 'sportscar loving media and public' more so than the NSX ever will. As technologically ahead of it's time as the NSX was, and with input from one of the greatest racing driver's of all time, it's been a total sales failure. It fails to fire up the emotions of the average joe-blow or even most car nuts. I've been a car nut and sportscar lover all my life and I honestly did not realize that they still produced the car until joining this site. I know just one person personally who bought one. I recall seeing one around town. . . way back in year one of it's history. After that it dropped off the world's sportscar radar scene. It goes totally unnoticed at the Detroit Auto Show. Should it be a classic, perhaps -- if one-off hot rods can make it to Pebble Beach (assuming that's your criteria), then why not. However, I have my own criteria, as probably a lot of you do.

I appreciate what Cunningham and the NSX have done on the local racing scene with the outdated car or what their NSX-R does in Japan. But Honda has not shown me that they are really serious about maintaining any sustained attempt at improving the breed once they capture the glory of the moment with the street sportscars. Maybe, the S2000 will be the turning point. But, even if it stays the same course as the NSX with minor improvements I still believe it will out class the NSX. The S2000 has it's King of the Hill for-its-size engine, it's unique timeless design, and already a large legend of lovers. So what really makes a car a classic? Folks have been debating that since the first motorcar was built.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:01 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The Acura NSX is not categorized as the best at ONE thing...but it is awfully good at everything.

As an owner, I can say this.
And that statement, in and of itself, is a classic.

Quick Reply: NSX- Destined to become a classic... or not?