Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NSX- Destined to become a classic... or not?

Old 01-28-2003, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes, it pisses me off how narrow minded some people get when it comes to the NSX. They compare a 93 NSX or even earlier to a present C5 or Z06 and say the NSX is crap because with the price tag, it should blow the doors off of a Z06 or any other car under it's price for that matter. But I mean, who can't take a few thousands dollars and make a car run 10 seconds in the quarter mile and still take turns with grip? I think many people forget the point of the NSX and quickly look at the "H" badge in the front and make hasty deductions about the car.

Can't Honda make nice cars too?
Old 01-28-2003, 10:33 PM

NSX would be the only stup up from an S IMO
can't wait to see what is cookin in Japan
Old 01-29-2003, 05:04 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the NSX and was my favorite car until I drove one and had a serious lack of head room. That's why I got a S2000 instead.

The NSX was NOT a sales flop. They sold as many as they wanted for the first few years just like the S2000 when it came out with substantial mark-ups. But at the time it was near equal to the Ferrari of it's time 328 or 355 for a lot less money. But now it's more likely to fall behind a M3 or C5 that cost a lot less. Not to mention the Z06 and Viper.

The NSX is only selling a few hundred a year in the US because its price has gone up to $90K but you can get a 911 for $70K. And it has not changed much in the past 12 years. The Ferrari now 360 modena is light years ahead of the 328/355 of yesteryear.

I would like to buy one of the new NSX's with the fixed headlights in a few years if the price falls into the $40K range. It will be a very rare car.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:16 AM

All I can add to this is that when the NSX first came out, one car magazine called it the best overall exotic sports car ever made. It had the performance of a high end sports car with the Japanese quality and reliability. It will be appreciated by those that know the car and won't be by those that don't.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:22 AM

It was the recession that single-handedly destroyed the sales figures of NSX. It actually wasn't overpriced when it was first released in my opinion - there was a one year waiting list when it first came out remember?
By the time recession ended I am sure most buyers were lured by F355 and the 993, both of which had caught up or surpassed the NSX in performance, price and even user friendliness, and let us not even start talking about the badges.
I love the NSX - the noise, looks, handling, and the philosophy behind it - but I am sure if I was semi-rich and was in the market I wouldn't be buying one. Who knows? If the next model with 1000kg + 350hp and a distictively honda styling (whatever that may be), and something edgier in feel than a ferrari, I may change my mind.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the recession so much as the price and performance per dollar killed the NSX.

It is a great looking car, but at 90k it is no longer a great car.

When trading my 99 M coupe in for a 02 recently I went out and again evaluated the NSX as a potential .. the 97's are just a bit more than a new 02 M coupe.

I could not justify the purchase of a 5 year old car which was slower -- and felt a good bit slower. I dunno; call me a slave to heated seats. Or maybe it was the logic of having spent 3 years sorting out all of the deficiencies of the M and knowing how to do it again quickly for less money....

Of course -- they did sell more NSX's than S54 M coupes at nearly half the price if that tells you anything....
Old 01-29-2003, 07:22 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO It was a classic when the concept was born.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:19 AM

The NSX is DEFINATELY a classic car by every definition of the word.

1. It was the first production all aluminum vehicle.
2. Look at the way the NSX changed the entire exotic car market. It single handedly evolved future Porsche's and Ferrari's into livable, refined machines. Something unheard of in the 80's. The F355 high-revving character was definately NSX-like when it came out.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NSX-R can still kick ass
Old 01-29-2003, 09:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]The NSX is DEFINATELY a classic car by every definition of the word.

1. It was the first production all aluminum vehicle.

Quick Reply: NSX- Destined to become a classic... or not?