Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NSX- Destined to become a classic... or not?

Old 01-28-2003, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NSX- Destined to become a classic... or not?

From what I've read in old magazine articles and heard on the internet, it seems like the NSX was the best car ever made when it was introduced. It had everything, looks, speed, and what set it apart from other exotics, it was usable as a daily driver. The car was still a sales flop however. This could be because of the many people who buy sports cars for image, and won't settle for anything "less" than a Ferrari or Porsche. People say the car has no soul like a Ferrari does, and is boring. People say it's overpriced, slow, and growing long in the tooth. Basically, the car seems to get no respect anymore.
Anyway, you all probably already knew all that. What I want your opinion on is if the car will be considered a classic, say fifty years from now. Can we expect to be seeing them at Pebble Beach? The styling sure seems timeless to me, and it was the first, and is still the only Japanese exotic. The car was way ahead of its competition from Ferrari and Porsche. The fact still remains however, that a lot of people seem to dislike the car. I think it was Rick who said that guy who has a restored Honda S800 gets no respect among vintage car enthusiasts. I also wonder if the NSX's apparent unpopularity is partially because of this generations interest in American cars. When all these ricers grow up, will they look back upon the NSX and find it desirable? I don't think the car has no soul or lacks heritage. It was built to celebrate Honda's domination in Formula 1, wasn't it? It's hand built, isn't it? Honda's kept it in production for all these years despite the fact that they can't be making money off its sales, haven't they? Maybe they kept it around as an image car, but most of the unwashed masses don't even know what it is. Think that'll play a role in whether or not this car becomes a classic? Is it just to early to tell? Let me hear your opinion.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:17 PM

ITs been a classic exotic car since the day it came out.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it is one of the best cars ever created.

Tan
Old 01-28-2003, 08:26 PM

i agree. the nsx is one of the greatest cars created IMO. in the future, when i have the money and if they're still around i'll probably pick one up for myself...
Old 01-28-2003, 08:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Can we expect to be seeing them at Pebble Beach?
You might see Tiger and the rest of the PGA crew here but why would you see an NSX?
Old 01-28-2003, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda606
[B]
Old 01-28-2003, 08:53 PM

What's an NSX?
Old 01-28-2003, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by alexf20c
What's an NSX?
Hardy har har... Tan's right, NSX is da bomb diggity! Just watch JGTC, that'll give you a hint...
Old 01-28-2003, 09:29 PM

I was joking, BTW...
Old 01-28-2003, 10:09 PM

The simple answer is 'No', it's extremely doubtful you will ever see an NSX roll across the greens at Pebble Beach or any other major concours unless it's dropping off one of the judges or it's parking park has slipped and it's just rolling by.
You may think this is harsh, but look at the cars the regularly grace these events. The are usually one-off's, prototypes, have some competition history or some other footnote that makes them unique in a way that a mass produced sportscar like the NSX can't.
Actually, there are fewer and fewer 'classics' being made as the years roll on. I love the NSX and would have one in a heart beat. I'd also love to think that my S2000 has the same classic appeal as say a '68 Shelby GT convertible. In my heart it does, but to collectors, it will always be a car and not a classic automobile. Even Ferrari's of the past twenty years will be hard-pressed to find their way on to the greens unless the theme is Ferrari.
Think the 348 will ever achieve 'classic' status? The F line (288, F40,F50 & Enzo) will be seen at future concours, but it's doubtful any others will (the 550 Barchetta being an exception).
Now I'm sure will will eventually see a few NSX's & S2000 rolling across the block at future Barret-Jackson'ish type auctions, but does that make them classic. No again
To quote a commentator at this last Barret Jackson who received a email asking a similar question to yours.
'When will we see Japanese cars going up for bid?'
His answer 'In about a thousand years....'
An to answer one point you made
and it was the first, and is still the only Japanese exotic
The first Japanese exotic remains the Toyota 2000GT. It's also probably the only true Japanese 'classic'

Quick Reply: NSX- Destined to become a classic... or not?