Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Novice driving mistakes

Old 08-07-2011, 05:15 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555
I think that the fact that the corner falls off camber has as much to do with why he crashed in this video as what his line was.
I disagree. He f'd up, plain and simple. I've taken that corner a thousand times on GT4 so I'm qualified to discuss it

Seriously, given the attitude of the car at the apex, there was no reason at all for him to lift off the gas or worse, stab the brakes at that point. Big-time rookie driver error. I don't think the camber falling off from apex to track out (if there is any it isn't dramatic) would have caused the back end to come out, either, if he had stayed on the gas. The car would rather have tried to drift wide.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ right, as I said, he lost it because he went to the brakes. But what caused him to go to the brakes was the feeling that he was losing the front as is falls off camber. I agree with you, he SHOULD have stayed in it, and allowed the car to track out a bit wider and everything would have been fine.

I too have driven this track at least 100 times... On an x-box, so we are clearly the experts here.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

He doesn't start braking until after the spin it looks like. Some other things to consider, we have no idea how the track and tire conditions were. But judging from that angle of the video, I think he got on the throttle a little to strong too early (when the car wasn't completely straight) which caused him to go into a spin. Again, I don't see any brake lights come on until after the spin (I do see the LED side lights of AP2 tails) is initiated and he seems to be braking to get the front end to hook and toss the car into a tank slapper. I'm not sure what I would have tried at that point but if he was hoping to make the car go the other way, I don't blame him since there is a lot more run off on the other side.

And as far as the EVO video is concerned, I can't tell if he was under throttle since you can't hear the car, and it is a decreasing radius so he could very well be completely off yet still push wide. I don't have much experience driving AWD cars hard, but that just seems like he went in too hot and once you start understeering, it's tough to break away. I would have tried modulating the brakes to get the car to rotate a bit more, but honestly just entering the corner slower and/or trail braking would have probably saved him.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The corner he crashed at is not very off camber at all. In my S2000 I am able to floor it in 3rd and track wide. I have never had an issue on this corner. The stock S2000 doesn't have enough power on this up hill 3rd to get loose. There have been a few time I have came a little hot around it but it doesn't matter. There is so much track to run out on. His choice of line and lifting is what caused this. I have been pretty sideways around the 'Ring and so far have managed to keep it all together.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like he makes a small steering adjustment and turns in after the apex. I'm not sure why one would do that, you would know better than I since you've driven the track before, but that could be what caused the car to become upset.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:04 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by dat boi
He doesn't start braking until after the spin it looks like.
But he (stupidly) got off the gas, that precipitated the car feeling squirrelly, so he (even MORE stupidly) got on the brakes. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Some other things to consider, we have no idea how the track and tire conditions were. But judging from that angle of the video, I think he got on the throttle a little to strong too early (when the car wasn't completely straight) which caused him to go into a spin.
I dont' think he "got on the throttle a little too strong", his mistake was that he got OFF the throttle instead of DRIVING the car through the turn.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 34witt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBoj0KbwaeY

I have not read through all of your post yet, but I thought I would post a link of a recent crash on the famous Nurburgring. This same driver had a crash on this track last year 1 corner after this. It was minor so he repaired is Silverstone and had it sprayed black. This year, after about 2 months with a perfect car... this happens. Very amateur mistake that cost him the car. I think this video goes right along with the topic.
OUCH
Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by dat boi' timestamp='1312776692' post='20856569
He doesn't start braking until after the spin it looks like.
But he (stupidly) got off the gas, that precipitated the car feeling squirrelly, so he (even MORE stupidly) got on the brakes. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Some other things to consider, we have no idea how the track and tire conditions were. But judging from that angle of the video, I think he got on the throttle a little to strong too early (when the car wasn't completely straight) which caused him to go into a spin.
I dont' think he "got on the throttle a little too strong", his mistake was that he got OFF the throttle instead of DRIVING the car through the turn.

I agree on all of what you said. It was a stupid mistake. The unfortunate part is he did the same thing last year and didn't learn. Mistakes happen... they just shouldn't happen twice in the same situation. Drive the car through it and all is well. I think some classes would have been a great idea for sure. This was a simple slide to correct.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

tl;dr version

Slow in, fast out, and commit to the corner.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the topic and tone. You use many unnecessary commas.

As an example -- in your first sentence, "Show me one hundred videos of drivers who lack in performance driving experience crash, and I will show you 99 videos where an accident is caused not by too much speed, or poor road conditions, but by poor decisions, and poor actions by the driver." because of the way you phrased the sentence you should not have ANY commas in there.

Quick Reply: Novice driving mistakes