Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Not sure if it's time to move on

Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Dude https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/100...3k-runs-great/
Old 02-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

In my experience with Hondas, warranties are virtually worthless. Not because they don't honor them, but because my Hondas have never had any problems.

Selling one because the warranty expired and fear of major issues, just make car payments on a car with a warranty (that will also most likely not have any serious failures either) makes no sense.

If you don't want the car any more and are ready for something new, go for it. If you still love to drive the car, don't lose any sleep over lack of warranty. As long as you don't seriously over rev the car or do constant burnouts, it will be just fine.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
In my experience with Hondas, warranties are virtually worthless. Not because they don't honor them, but because my Hondas have never had any problems.

Selling one because the warranty expired and fear of major issues, just make car payments on a car with a warranty (that will also most likely not have any serious failures either) makes no sense.

If you don't want the car any more and are ready for something new, go for it. If you still love to drive the car, don't lose any sleep over lack of warranty. As long as you don't seriously over rev the car or do constant burnouts, it will be just fine.
^^I agree with this.

It's a Honda, not a BMW that is going to rape you out of warranty.

But if you're anxious to get a new car, then go for it!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

I would not let a warranty issue scare me on a Honda. Everything is easy to get to and parts are not expensive.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If warranty worries you, get another warranty plan. There are some good non OEM warranty plans out there that you can get which will not be a huge burden to you financially and have decent coverage. I was the same way at first and bought the extended warranty on my CPO S2K. I have only needed it for one thing and that was a broken top latch (which I just had them do even though it was a $100 part with 5 minutes of actual labor). I have had no issues since then other than my AC having problems (stuck heater valve). I plan on keeping the car as long as possible. You may want to buy a used larger vehicle for other purposes, but with the proper maintenance, the S will last you a long time.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are mostly concerned with being out of warranty but 70k for a S2000 is just broken in. why so afraid of out of warranty with a Honda?

2nd thing you are going through is new car dilema. if you can't get over it, you need to get a new car.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

BRZ... yawn. Have you driven one yet? It's no S2000.

Keep the S.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 AM

I have a funny feeling that if you do sell the S, you will be back sometime in the near future.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you just getting caught up in the hype? That's what I would stop and ask myself. Because your justifications are pretty flimsy.

Go test drive one man! If you like it, go for it. If you don't, keep your S until something else comes along that flips your skirt. Like the new 2-series from BMW that's going to be coming out, or even the rumored turbo'd BRZ? I've hyped myself up on several vehicles (and motorcycles), convinced myself that I had to have them, test drove them and HATED them. Finding the right car is a process, but you don't need us to tell you what to do.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by alex s
Are you just getting caught up in the hype? That's what I would stop and ask myself. Because your justifications are pretty flimsy.

Go test drive one man! If you like it, go for it. If you don't, keep your S until something else comes along that flips your skirt. Like the new 2-series from BMW that's going to be coming out, or even the rumored turbo'd BRZ? I've hyped myself up on several vehicles (and motorcycles), convinced myself that I had to have them, test drove them and HATED them. Finding the right car is a process, but you don't need us to tell you what to do.
Agreed.

IMO, the S2000 is a great car. I would guess the Toyobaru is a very good car.

An old great car is still great, and still > a brand new very good car.

UNLESS what drives your buying decisions is having the newest "it" car. If that's the case, then by all means, go with the BRZ until the next version comes out.... and the next... etc.

Quick Reply: Not sure if it's time to move on