Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Not sure if it's time to move on

Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Not sure if it's time to move on

I've been rattling this around in my head for a few days and I'd like to get the opinion of people that would understand my situation (already talked it over with my fiancee and she's leaving it up to me). I currently have a 2006 s2000 with 80k on it, I bought an extended warranty with it that will run out this summer. My dilemma is that I'm not sure if it's a good idea/time to move on and get something new(or newer) to keep a warranty. It's my daily as well as my only car, so the mileage climbing up and the soon to be lack of warranty are a concern for me. I do love my car, I've owned it almost 3 years now which is 3x longer than I've kept any other car I've owned.

Looking at what's currently on the market in a price I'm willing to pay there's really only 1 car out that I like, the BRZ. So basically I'm debating if I should keep the s2000 for a few more years or sell it this year and pick up a BRZ.

Keeping the s2000:
+ I own it outright and have no car payment right now.
+ I think the s200 is a better looking car
+ More power
- It currently has 80,000 miles on it
- Warranty will run out this summer
- No back seat and interior is a little cramped (largely not an issue but occasionally I do wish I had something with a little more space)
- Lower MPG vs. the BRZ

Buying a BRZ:
+ Brand new, full warranty
+ More room in the interior and a back seat if needed
+ New platform, would be kind of an exciting change
+ Better MPG (nice for my daily driver)
+ My dad works for a dealer that also has a Subaru dealer so I can probably get a good deal
- Would have to have a car payment (though I can put a big chunk down and have payments well under $200/mo)
- Would have to spend additional money on modifications
- Not as good looking as the s2000, but still a good looking car
- Would have to go through the process of selling my s2000

I'll try to address some things I know people will point out as well:

The s2000 is a better car. Yeah, it is a "better" car but the BRZ is also a great car and seems like a more daily friendly s2000 in a lot of ways. My car hasn't seen a track day yet and might only see one or two in the future, it's largely a commute to work, run errands and fun drives on back roads deal.

You don't have to buy mods. I know I don't have to, but I will. It's just something I do, I don't like driving a car around that is exactly like another one on the road. I fully acknowledge that it's largely a waste of money and I accept that.

Use your fiancee's car if you need something bigger. We currently do this, which is why the lack of room in the s2000 isn't much of an issue at all for me. That said, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have some more room in my car as well.

Use what you would have as a car payment and save in case anything goes wrong with the s2000. Well, of course I would do this, but a warranty is comforting to have in case of major things happening. My s2000 had to have the head rebuilt a year ago and thankfully I had a warranty and it was completely covered.

I'll also note that in roughly a year's time I won't be driving nearly as much as I currently do. Most of my driving is to work and back and we're building a new office that I'll be able to bike to, so that will cut down a lot on my mileage.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly are you afraid will happen at 80,000 miles with no warranty?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not worth it if you are trading just for warranty. Your monthly payments (and down payment) will be more than any out of warranty issues with the s2k. Still not sure what issues you are concerned about with an 80k s2k. If you are concerned about reliability, Honda over Subaru IMO. You'll definitely need the Subaru warranty for a first year car.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
It is not worth it if you are trading just for warranty. Your monthly payments (and down payment) will be more than any out of warranty issues with the s2k. Still not sure what issues you are concerned about with an 80k s2k. If you are concerned about reliability, Honda over Subaru IMO. You'll definitely need the Subaru warranty for a first year car.
That's kind of a big thing for me too. I've only ever owned Honda's. I know them, I know the s2000, I don't know Subaru's. I get paranoid about anything approaching 100k in miles (that's when things like transmissions, diffs or motors like to start going haywire, generally speaking), but I know very well that these cars can last 200k+ with just regular maintenance as well.

I missed this in my initial list, but I am concerned with the BRZ being a first year run, they seem to have had a few bugs pop up (nothing major so far) but who knows what's going to happen later.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:36 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep the car. Having no payments is a beautiful thing and the S2000 is very reliable. I sold my 2000 in 2011 with 140K miles on it and the biggest thing I had to replace was a radiator and one control arm bushing. Just keep up with basic maintenance and the car is bulletproof. At 80K miles it's barely broken in, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to 200K+ miles without a warranty. Save the money for other stuff like the wedding or a house, furniture etc etc.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Save the money for other stuff like the turbo or a supercharger, hard top etc etc.
Yeah I like this idea.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Not Sure
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1361374603' post='22350399
Save the money for other stuff like the turbo or a supercharger, hard top etc etc.
Yeah I like this idea.
Lol
Old 02-20-2013, 08:04 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Will the BRZ offer more performance in 2014? It's generally wiser to wait until after the first model year of a new car if you can.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Whatever your decision, you're too hung up on the warranty. I'd much rather have no car payment than a warranty. It's a Honda with 80,000 miles. Assuming you take care of it, it won't need that much work. You could even get an older, reliable car/SUV for cheap to split time with your S2K... like I do.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Not Sure
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1361374603' post='22350399
Yeah I like this idea.
Hahaha, well I already have a hardtop...and we bought a house last fall. The wedding isn't until next year and I have all the money needed to pay for it too.

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Will the BRZ offer more performance in 2014? It's generally wiser to wait until after the first model year of a new car if you can.
I worry about this as well.

Right now I'm thinking it makes more sense to keep the car another 2-3 years and see where I am at that point.

Quick Reply: Not sure if it's time to move on