Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

No words can describe this ..

Old 10-07-2005, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AHHHH, whenever the name NSX comes up it brings with it much emotion. Truly great cars do that I guess

Guys, it doesnt matter what PLYRS 3 thinks of my car. He likes it, but just feels that it is too much money. Upfront, he is 100% correct. What he is not considering is that when and if I go to sell it, Ill probably get most of it back. Ive been offered *slightly* more than what I paid for it after a full summer of use even. Also, if I look at wholesale of one that is 4 years older - I get average depreciation of C$4k per year from what I paid (wholesale). That's the cost of ownership of an S2000. I hope depreciation doesnt change between now and when I want to sell it.

He is also probably thinking that the C$90K (pre 15% tax) I paid for my car almost a year ago is outrageous given that I could march down to the US and import an M3 for all in, C$60k to my driveway. I agree - it seems like it is. The current exchange is different than it was a year ago - but he makes this comparison.

He is also probably thinking that a Cayman S is as good a performer, nicer inside but cheaper - may be. Im not a Pcar kinda guy.

He is no doubt thinking that his car performs as well as mine - you know what? His car is fast as hell. It gives up very little to my car anywhere and he paid wwaaaayyyy less. Mind you a pinto with a V12 in it costs way less than his car and would probably blow us all out of the water, so who cares?

Bottom line is that he just isnt into NSXs like some of us are. If we all were, we'd all have them.

BTW - I think the arguments about the cost of an NSX are incomplete if you do not consider depreciation in the mix. Thats like saying that the cost of ownership of a brand new Z06 is remarkably inexpensive. Yes, upfront it is. Back end its probably not going to be.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to make you waste that long post.. we just settled it
Old 10-07-2005, 08:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker,Oct 7 2005, 11:39 AM
I get average depreciation of C$4k per year from what I paid (wholesale).
david, you are on crack, sir.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well maybe not 4, but 5 is accurate
Old 10-07-2005, 05:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW - I think the arguments about the cost of an NSX are incomplete if you do not consider depreciation in the mix. Thats like saying that the cost of ownership of a brand new Z06 is remarkably inexpensive. Yes, upfront it is. Back end its probably not going to be.
You negate the people buying them second hand which throws that perspective out the window. The Z06 is a great car for two reasons. First because it offers so much performance for such a low MSRP and second because demand is so great that there are enough of them out there that you can pick them up for a song used.

What he is not considering is that when and if I go to sell it, Ill probably get most of it back. Ive been offered *slightly* more than what I paid for it after a full summer of use even. Also, if I look at wholesale of one that is 4 years older - I get average depreciation of C$4k per year from what I paid (wholesale). That's the cost of ownership of an S2000. I hope depreciation doesnt change between now and when I want to sell it.
Supply and demand at work there.

Not insult to anyone who paid full MSRP (well a little) -- but very few people were stupid enough to pay full price for the NSX. A slightly larger percentage of stupid people have just a bit less money and are willing to pay the premium for the limited number of cars available on the second hand market.

For the record, add me as one of those stupid people to the second hand market bit. The NSX (and M coupe) are in a rare crowd of vehicles that while they do not appreciate -- they do depreciate so little that buying one second hand almost makes sense. Yes you can find faster vehicles for less money -- yes both have interiors from the 90's. BUT they hold their value very well.

What this has to do with the thread? No ****ing clue. Likewise you have to wonder what all those folks thought about some kid in a 3 series tagging along.